IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

purchasing decisions for HiFi are just like those of all other consumer products. 

as I've said before, and started threads on, ergonomics, control functionality, and esthetics count

I generally want a mix for myself - and I weight SQ highly

I do think that Accuphase makes the most esthetic looking electronics gear, and the SQ is very high as well.

but discussion on an audio forum tends to center around SQ or euphonics

37 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If someone insists spark plug make their car go 200 mph, I’m totally fine with it.

I’m not big brother, a crusader, or a buzz killer. This is a fun hobby. Nobody is saving babies or killing puppies. 

Live and let listen. 

The audio equivalent in fact is that the handbrake never releases beyond 50%; or the gear selector says D, but it never come out of 3rd - and the driver is blissfully unaware that these 'stupid' maladjustments are what are holding back the vehicle's performance ...

8 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Most of what is holding back audio quality is the bad gas (poor quality recordings), the better cars are capable of very good performance, but the 47 octane is really hard on the total performance.  Sure, the better cars with good design will sound marginally better than lower end stuff, but is still liimited by the source quality.  (The problem isn't just DolbyA on the older stuff, but a myriad of other factors.)

John

Incorrect, John 🙂. If you haven't heard how some archaic recording emerges from a cartoony mess, to rise up and present a remarkable capture of real people playing their hearts out, when a system reaches a high enough standard - then you have my sympathy, 😉. The truth is that enough information has been captured for the ear/brain to compensate for all the recording deficiences - but this can only happen when the playback chain doesn't then also add a swath of aberrations.

7 hours ago, Daccord said:

The post was intended as a humorous response to Crenca's statement just above. I found the 1954 RCA sampler album in my father's collection, and the dated expression "high fidelity" made me think of it. But as long as you're going to make a point, trusting your ears is a good way to avoid being fooled by the BS put forward by the audiophile press in support of MQA.

Only if the listening is done under blinded bias controlled conditions. The brain is too easy to influence if it knows what it is listening to. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

20 hours ago, crenca said:

I think Archi and esldude is on to something important:  We appear to be at the point, and probably have been for a while, that most in "the industry" are actually existentially threatened by High Fidelity, because they are so $dependant$ upon High End.  Stereophile, TAS, and many (most?) manufacturers are now really about High End, and (given the state of underlying audio tech) anti High Fidelity.

This related comment on ASR is intriguing. @The Computer Audiophile, my hunch would be that reaching out to whomever wrote it, and see if they'd be interested in expanding on it, might make for some really interesting reading.

It's tangentially related to what @crenca was saying, but some people might find this audioholics video of interest. There's a reminder of the Lexicon Oppo rebrand in there.

26 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

This related comment on ASR is intriguing. @The Computer Audiophile, my hunch would be that reaching out to whomever wrote it, and see if they'd be interested in expanding on it, might make for some really interesting reading.

It's tangentially related to what @crenca was saying, but some people might find this audioholics video of interest. There's a reminder of the Lexicon Oppo rebrand in there.

If anyone has an hour, can you watch the video and let us know if there are points of interest? Sounds interesting but I don’t have the time right now. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If anyone has an hour, can you watch the video and let us know if there are points of interest? Sounds interesting but I don’t have the time right now. 

from memory, intro about the whole "best of lists", LaSalla talks about how Google appears to favor aggregate, best-of-list reviews and how those are used by shills, quite a bit of talk on shills on amazon, the lexicon thing is about 10 minutes in (just checked that), there's talk about the tension between marketing as a profession and credibility, in the context of the evolution of what's trusted going from mags to fora to amazon reviews, a discussion of how a critical review is protected speech and how some manufacturers pull advertising in retaliation for not stellar reviews, how reviewers seem to "borrow" equipment for indefinite periods of time, with some of the usual "we're awesome" type stuff woven in with a discussion of how audioholics' measurements generated a healthy discussion to develop common power rating standards for HT amps.

I started but neither contributor has a personality.  When the one on the left started on South Africa mis-using/stealing his Copyright for Audioholics I bailed.  The ASR comment was much more informative and a good read.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

On 12/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, Rt66indierock said:

Trusting your ears is a good way to be fooled.

Absolutely.  Well, unless one has spent time developing trustworthy-enough ears.  :) 

If for sake of argument we switch our sense from hearing to sight, might it be just a little bit of an oxymoron to be an aficionado of the fine arts while simultaneously lacking trustworthy eyes?

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

Getting this back in track. Project Panther Bidco’s strike off has been withdrawn. Maybe financials will soon be available.

At the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society gala last Sunday I talked with a Meridian dealer. He was/is a big enough dealer to have one year won a car, a Mini. He said he told the Meridian folks that compression didn’t have a place in high end audio.