IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, billions with a B :~)

I needed clarification.  Seems the ability after debluring which leads to better transient response might have caused one to end up with trillions.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

I needed clarification.  Seems the ability after debluring which leads to better transient response might have caused one to end up with trillions.  

The first unfold only goes so far, but once you've done that, you can render however many copies you want. That's how you get to trillions.

Trying to decide between Tidal and Qobuz. Currently have both. The Qobuz price reduction is tempting, but you give up Tidal's personalized playlists and their auto play of similar artists (which is overcome with roon but not using native apps).

But I do not want MQA. In Tidal's app, I can set the upper limit to 'hi-fi'. If I set this, it still shows MQA selections. If I accidentally select one, or if there is only an MQA version, what do I get if I have the limit set to hi-fi and I play it? Do I get an unmolested cd quality file, or some kind of unfolded mqa containerized file?

23 minutes ago, rn701 said:

Trying to decide between Tidal and Qobuz. Currently have both. The Qobuz price reduction is tempting, but you give up Tidal's personalized playlists and their auto play of similar artists (which is overcome with roon but not using native apps).

But I do not want MQA. In Tidal's app, I can set the upper limit to 'hi-fi'. If I set this, it still shows MQA selections. If I accidentally select one, or if there is only an MQA version, what do I get if I have the limit set to hi-fi and I play it? Do I get an unmolested cd quality file, or some kind of unfolded mqa containerized file?

Sadly the last one🤮

3 hours ago, rn701 said:

In Tidal's app, I can set the upper limit to 'hi-fi'. If I set this, it still shows MQA selections

To add to what @yahooboystates, you can set your app to 'hi-fi' but upon an update to Tidal's software (somewhat frequent), Tidal resets this option to 'master'.  

In other words, Tidal and MQA are too incestuous for the consumer to avoid MQA when using their service.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

38 minutes ago, crenca said:

To add to what @yahooboystates, you can set your app to 'hi-fi' but upon an update to Tidal's software (somewhat frequent), Tidal resets this option to 'master'.  

In other words, Tidal and MQA are too incestuous for the consumer to avoid MQA when using their service.

The updates stopped doing this a while ago. It was frustrating while it happened. As Qobuz is not available in Canada, and I don't use the Tidal app (I use BubbleUPnP to send to JRiver) and my DAC doesn't do MQA, I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb.

14 minutes ago, Daccord said:

The updates stopped doing this a while ago. It was frustrating while it happened. As Qobuz is not available in Canada, and I don't use the Tidal app (I use BubbleUPnP to send to JRiver) and my DAC doesn't do MQA, I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb.

That's arguably worse for anyone wanting to avoid the MQA tracks,because BubbleUPnP (and other third party applications that don't support connecting to TIDAL via the MQA Masters quality setting) cannot distinguish which tracks have been sourced from the MQA version of an album or the true CD version. It's why BubbleUPnP presents you with what appears to be two of the same album on the TIDAL album views.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Just now, Cebolla said:

That's arguably worse for anyone wanting to avoid the MQA tracks,because BubbleUPnP cannot distinguish which tracks have been sourced from the MQA version of an album or the true CD version. It's why BubbleUPnP presents you with what appears to be two of the same album on the TIDAL album views.

It's not ideal, but as I said, Tidal is the only game in town here so I stopped worrying about it. I do use the Tidal site to add favourites, and when I do that I know if an album is MQA. A while ago Tidal used to show both versions, so I could select the non-MQA album, but thanks to some kind of BS, Tidal now only shows the MQA copy when it exists. I have noted, with some satisfaction, that recently the number of new releases with the dreaded M icon has dropped drastically.

16 hours ago, Daccord said:

The updates stopped doing this a while ago. It was frustrating while it happened.

It happened to me the last time I opened (and thus updated) my Tidal desktop app, about 3 weeks ago.  

image.jpeg.c932e2ff9d47adcdadc55c0aedbe414b.jpeg

Edit:  I just now opened my Tidal desktop app, it asked to update, I did, and it reset itself to "Master"!

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

23 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Jay-Z has returned his music to Spotify.  Tidal must not have been doing it for him.

He’s probably upset that he didn’t get on Spotify’s list, of the most streamed artist of the last decade. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

On 12/5/2019 at 6:06 PM, Samuel T Cogley said:

Wow, I guess the bloom is off the Tidal rose.  Who could forget the pageantry of this event?

image.thumb.png.7514e162ccfca91d009a2010d4ac2abd.png

More details here on that event in case anyone forgot.

Madonna
American singer-songwriter

Interesting that when I Googled Madonna I got a site that listed 8 Services that her music was available on, none of which was Tidal.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

43 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

You mean the one about Tidal being administratively dissolved? 

The first strike off notice was published.

Or are there better rumors out there?

Someone's manager posted a cryptic message on one of the sites and rumors started flying.

Has a first strike off notice, in fact, been published?

With all the rumors,  I would like to see hard facts.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook