IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

22 minutes ago, rn701 said:

Does it have anything similar to roon radio?

I believe it does not, but I'm not a Roon user and so don't have any first hand experience with what exactly Roon Radio is or does. Perhaps off-topic for this thread, but you can certainly ask about that in the Audirvana thread.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

50 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

MQA Ltd filed Resolutions today.  Will be examined and available in 5 days.

Resolution of Removal of Pre-Emption Rights

Resolution of Allotment of Securities

I am not familiar with UK Company Law, but it looks like someone is losing right of first refusal and new securities are being issued.

Seems like someone may be being squeezed out.

If someone knowledgeable about these filings could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Roon radio drives me nuts and there's no way to disable it globally.  It always does a horrible job at guessing what I want to hear after my playlist ends.  Some people love it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roon is claiming that through the miracle of big brother data mining of users  which they give the marketing term "Valance", Roon radio was significantly improved in this latest release.  I don't use it very much so I might not notice the difference...

edit:  https://blog.roonlabs.com/roon-1-7-valence/

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Roon radio drives me nuts and there's no way to disable it globally.  It always does a horrible job at guessing what I want to hear after my playlist ends.  Some people love it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roon Radio also bugs me, so I limit it to my library only. And you can turn it off, in the "queue" sidebar. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, crenca said:

Well, yes but it appears that in least some instances your still saddled with an MQA adulterated experience:

image.thumb.png.08c64cab2e88782c9e33033f2b9330da.png

So the encoding that Tidal has is MQA, (so called "48/24" that magically unfolds to "192kHz"), but after setting my Tidal service to "HiFi" (reboot of Roon needed to take effect), the file now streams as "MQA 44.1kHz" and "MQA Studio 44.1".  What does this mean?

I suspect it means Tidal is either using the the standard "48/24" MQA as source and resampling it down to 44.1 (evidence being the file is still "24 bit") or  they have a seperate "44.1/24" MQA file.  Either way, you can't escape MQA because there is no real 16/44 source in Tidal's library...unless of course you play play the Qobuz version (actual 24/96) which is what I do 😋

Kudos to Roon for acurately revealing the MQA "provence".

Since this album has mixed quality tracks, maybe this is causing an issue?  The Qobuz version is 24/44.1 through track 13 (WTH Roon, why default the track numbers to off on album view?), than beginning with track 14 it was 24/96.

5 hours ago, crenca said:

Roon is claiming that through the miracle of big brother data mining of users  which they give the marketing term "Valance", Roon radio was significantly improved in this latest release.  I don't use it very much so I might not notice the difference...

edit:  https://blog.roonlabs.com/roon-1-7-valence/

I will say the search is wayyyyyy faster or more accurate. 

10 minutes ago, FredericV said:

It's getting more absurd: take an analog recording, remaster it digitally in 24 bit, MQA encode it and call it the new master and then render it back to vinyl ....  and other formats.

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/the-soft-parade-deluxe-vinyl-from-mqa-master

image.png.1f45c1f76442e37a1145e5d38c5a38b9.png

I bet these 50 year old recordings do not even have the resolution of redbook: "This new release commemorates the album's 50th anniversary". Wikipedia mentions a 24 bit remaster, probably they used that for the lossy MQA encode, then converted into another lossy format (vinyl):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soft_Parade

With all the pops & clicks and added noise of vinyl, for sure that's how it sounded in the studio. A true end-to-end process ;)

🤮

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

It's getting more absurd: take an analog recording, remaster it digitally in 24 bit, MQA encode it and call it the new master and then render it back to vinyl ....  and other formats.

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/the-soft-parade-deluxe-vinyl-from-mqa-master

image.png.1f45c1f76442e37a1145e5d38c5a38b9.png

I bet these 50 year old recordings do not even have the resolution of redbook: "This new release commemorates the album's 50th anniversary". Wikipedia mentions a 24 bit remaster, probably they used that for the lossy MQA encode, then converted into another lossy format (vinyl):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soft_Parade

With all the pops & clicks and added noise of vinyl, for sure that's how it sounded in the studio. A true end-to-end process ;)

There is one big misstatement. There are NON MQA downloads of all 4 Anniversary releases with true 192 kHz content. 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, crenca said:

It's another case of MQA solving problems that do not in fact exist.  Roon normally attempts to play the "neutral" in the MQA debate but Danny/Roon here is showing his cards as an MQA insider and promoter.  Fact is, MQA has been quite successful in winning Audiophile niche market insiders, influencers, and manufacturers (hard and soft) to their aims.  Does anyone STILL believe there is not quid pro quo going on here?

I want nothing

I want nothing

I want no quid pro quo!

(The Ramones version in MQA is glorious... like a veil has been lifted)

9 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

I find this state particularly interesting:

HRA, about their version of the new Coldplay album:

"Please Note: We offer this album in its native sampling rate of 48 kHz, 24-bit. The provided 96 kHz version was up-sampled and offers no audible value! Hence the reason why we also do not offer the MQA. "

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/ncurgd/coldplay-everyday-life

It is, however, on Qobuz as 24/96.

I have to give kudos to HRA for the honesty and information provided to customers. Very well done. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The questions I have are:

Is MQA Ltd a going concern?  Have they received further finance?

Is the MQA cabal capable of imposing MQA on the music industry?

I know there are people vehemently opposed to MQA.  They know what MQA is and what it is doing. But I believe there is a large mass of people out there who are blithely unaware of what MQA really is or believe the MQA BS.  They would blindly go forth paying out of their pocket to have MQA screw them.

I honestly fear for the future of quality music.  It is in the interest of the majors to put out a crippled recording.  This allows them to hold out the carrot in front of the music consumer that there is always a better version.

It seems the vast majority of music consumers are satisfied with MP3 quality music, and thus would be satisfied with MQA.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

A less than amusing thought occurred to me.  We are on a site where the participants are seeking to improve playback to the most infinitely tiny detail.

And we have studios that want us to buy crippled music.

I will continue to support and buy music from music houses that strive to put out the best quality music reproduction possible.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook