IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, crenca said:

... It's a niche hobby so we more often than not don't have several authorities measuring the same piece of gear, so IMO it's best to take them for what they are:   data point(s) from a single flawed individual who usually has an agenda/ego/"philosophy"...

Well said.

Certainly no argument from me that we all have our own "agenda / ego / philosophy" whether consciously or subconsciously expressed. 🙂

Agree or not with the other person's opinion, I think internal consistency of one's philosophy and clarity of communication are essentials when debating. In this regard, I'm not sure I understand where Amir is coming from or why he feels the way he does about MQA...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

4 hours ago, Archimago said:

Well... Leaving AES aside :-)...

I remember the first time I heard about Amir was when he was debating the late Arny Kruger about hi-res audio. It's been awhile since I've seen that thread but in general I agree with this Audio Investigations entry. No doubt Amir is a smart guy, I can't help but feel there's some ego there that I'm uncomfortable with.

I enjoy reading his measurement reports (like recently the PS Audio DAC and the much-ballyhooed-by-various-audiophiles Totaldac - no surprise there are issues with these devices) nonetheless.

Outside of his very narrow field of expertise, he’s actually not that bright.  He has a poor understanding of science (or purposely misrepresents it when convenient) and lacks basic logic/critical thinking skills (or knowingly uses fallacious arguments with dishonest intent).

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I've never found reason to doubt the measurements that JA supplies.  I sometimes look askance at his conclusions from those measurements, but I think you can count on his measurements as golden.  

In general yes I would agree. But there is one 'edge case' I've noticed where he appears not to understand what he's actually measuring. That case being an unfiltered NOS DAC - its invalid to make a direct swept frequency response measurement using an AP as the upper octave level gets severely corrupted by the unfiltered images. He seems blissfully unaware of this.

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

He partially sanitized the thread, but that's water under the bridge at this point. I'll give him credit for not being guilty of 100% revisionist history there.

That said, lets not lose sight of the nature of the error, he thought an Ethernet -> USB converter acting as a renderer caused an 8dB rise at the DAC's analog output. Really? Novices know better.

Lets also not lose sight of his reaction to the questioning of those measurements, he immediately sought to change the subject and made an attack on the iFi iPower, calling it the "included" power supply, and then amending that to be the "recommended" power supply when in fact it was neither.

Sonore sells the microRendu sans power supply, and always did. Should one wish to purchase a power supply with the microRendu, various choices are provided including the iPower (cheapest option), CIAudio LPS, Teddy Pardo LPS, HD-Plex LPS, UpTone LPS-1.2, UpTone JS-2, SBooster 6VDC, or SGC 7V LPS. While not all of those choices were available from Sonore back in 2016, that doesn't change the fact that the iPower was never the "included", nor the "recommended" power supply for the microRendu. That was Amir's misrepresentation.

Moreover, Amir's spotlight of the iPower's AC leakage current is hardly impressive, nearly all cheap SMPS wall warts have that issue, for example take a look at a Mean Well data sheet, it's there for all to see, no big revelation there at all.

Why did Amir choose to test the microRendu with the iPower? Because it was the cheapest option, not because it was "included", or "recommended" as he asserted. He certainly knew the cheapest option would also measure the worst.

What was Amir's agenda or axe to grind? Likely the lack of any dealer margin on Sonore products, Amir's Madonna Digital doesn't realize any profit margin on products sold direct (Schiit for instance), so he dings them.

Similarly, he sells the MQA compatible Berkeley Audio Design products, hence his position on MQA. Or maybe BS made a nice Patreon donation?

The error was a simple one yes.  Embarrassingly so. 

As for the SMPS, he showed results with a lab power supply, and with a SBOOSTER power supply which gave results like his lab supply and better than the iFi supply.  If they don't come with a power supply such results from multiple supplies seems useful to owners of the device.  In the first post it says it does not come with a power supply, he ordered it with the  iPower supply.  One of those in your list above.  Yes, as he was buying this, he did order the cheapest one.  I don't see any notices saying if you order from our list some of these will add noise to the signal instead of cleaning it up.  And know if anything his measures have shown you can't equate cost with performance without checking. 

You sound like a hurt fanboy of something he gave poor marks to honestly.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, opus101 said:

In general yes I would agree. But there is one 'edge case' I've noticed where he appears not to understand what he's actually measuring. That case being an unfiltered NOS DAC - its invalid to make a direct swept frequency response measurement using an AP as the upper octave level gets severely corrupted by the unfiltered images. He seems blissfully unaware of this.

I've noticed that, but don't know if he is unaware of that or not.  His comments here would indicate he likely does know it. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-note-cd-41x-cd-player-measurements

Yet measures of other NOS DACs he doesn't explain the response or why it looks like it does. 

It does seem reasonable to me to measure it the way it measures because if you play music this way it is the response you'll see.  Mixed in with all the imaging that occurs.  You could measure with fixed spaced tones and ignore the artifacts.  But those artifacts are really there. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

23 minutes ago, esldude said:

His comments here would indicate he likely does know it. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-note-cd-41x-cd-player-measurements

That indicates that he does know about the existence of 'negative frequencies' at the DAC's output but doesn't make the connection that they upset the level meter used by the AP to gauge the frequency response. Perhaps he makes the tacit assumption that the AP can tell the original stimulus apart from the images?

He generally also publishes the FFT of a white noise stimulus which does show the true FR and so far I've noticed no remark on why the two measurement methods disagree.

14 hours ago, esldude said:

I've never found reason to doubt the measurements that JA supplies....

I recall reading (can't recall where - probably SBAF) where JA had Border Patrol DAC in house that had an unusually high output impedance, so JA went ahead and measured it into an equally unusually high impedance.  This of course had the effect of improving the DAC's measurements in the test, typical use case be damned.

In any case I think @MikeyFreshis right in that a "trust but verify" stance towards measurements needs to be taken, not only because these guys have their agenda's (and thus will fudge here or there) but also because measurements are hard, variable depending on methodology, etc...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

23 minutes ago, crenca said:

I recall reading (can't recall where - probably SBAF) where JA had Border Patrol DAC in house that had an unusually high output impedance, so JA went ahead and measured it into an equally unusually high impedance.  This of course had the effect of improving the DAC's measurements in the test, typical use case be damned.

In any case I think @MikeyFreshis right in that a "trust but verify" stance towards measurements needs to be taken, not only because these guys have their agenda's (and thus will fudge here or there) but also because measurements are hard, variable depending on methodology, etc...

JA did note this in the Border Patrol measurements.

The BorderPatrol DAC SE's maximum output level at 1kHz was 1.87V, which is 0.6dB lower than the CD standard's 2V. The output impedance was very high, at 2.3k ohms at 1 and 20kHz, rising to 5.8k ohms at 20Hz. This DAC needs to be used with a preamplifier having an input impedance of 50k ohms or higher if the low frequencies are not to sound lightweight.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/borderpatrol-digital-analogue-converter-se-measurements#Z483MiKxAV92iaJB.99

He also used 100 k input which he typically does.  He sometimes repeats that with 600 ohm loads which he didn't for obvious reasons.  Since he made it clear that doesn't bother me. You could say he was letting the DUT put its best foot forward, but if I owned such a thing I would use it that way too.  

10 minutes ago, esldude said:

JA did note this in the Border Patrol measurements....This DAC needs to be used with a preamplifier having an input impedance of 50k ohms or higher if the low frequencies are not to sound lightweight....He also used 100 k input which he typically does.  He sometimes repeats that with 600 ohm loads which he didn't for obvious reasons.  Since he made it clear that doesn't bother me. You could say he was letting the DUT put its best foot forward, but if I owned such a thing I would use it that way too.  

It does seem that way...best foot forward and a measurement methodology designed for just such a thing, or at least that's the outcome.

What is a "typical" pre input impedance?  Are there many 50k or higher pre's?  

All this ties back to the culture of Audiophiledom in that a typical review is lightweight, positive, "best foot forward" and all that just about all the time.  JA's measurement methodology appears to be capable of conforming with this philosophy.  It is not a "standardized" methodology and there are not others cross checking him (usually)...

5 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Amir is a supporter of high resolution audio and wrote an article about it "High Resolution Audio:does it matter?" And who does he site as evidence Bob Stuart and his 2014 paper "The Audibility of Typical Digital Audio Filters in a High- Fidelity Playback System". He probably isn't happy about the current challenges to high resolution audio considering he sells the stuff.

Thanks for the insight.  It's a difficult conversation in that the real usefulness of Hi Res is being obfuscated with certain overemphasized digital philosophies, products, market positions, and personal loyalties...

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Getting this back on track. Amir is a supporter of high resolution audio and wrote an article about it "High Resolution Audio:does it matter?" And who does he site as evidence Bob Stuart and his 2014 paper "The Audibility of Typical Digital Audio Filters in a High- Fidelity Playback System". He probably isn't happy about the current challenges to high resolution audio considering he sells the stuff.

And nothing has been posted yet on Companies House about MQA Ltd or Project Panther Bidco (Tidal to the rest of you).

Charlatans are attracted to other charlatans. And Amir is the ultimate Charlatan...which is just tip of the iceberg.