IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Hence my use of the word "troll" (which I beginning to believe applies to you also - see below).

And to quote a more patient mind than mine:

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have no idea why you're trying your best to not provide anyone a reasonable snippet of your content. You know as well as I do that the rights holder of your content couldn't care less if you provide a snippet of a track. In fact, they'd probably want it for publicity. A quick email is all that's needed to clear it. 

For the record this is what John Atkinson wrote about his files processed with MQA:

"The first of two recordings of mine I used for my comparisons and for which Bob Stuart had prepared MQA versions, this arrangement by Eriks Esenvalds opens and closes with solo soprano, set against a choral vocalise. I've always been happy with the sound of the original 24/88.2 WAV file, but with the MQA version, Genna McAllister's angelic vocal line stands a little more forward from the choral halo, which itself sounds a little farther back than I'm used to. Overall, there was simply less ambiguity in the spatial relationships between the singers and the surrounding acoustic with the MQA version."

"The scoring of this choral work by contemporary composer Eric Whitacre is complex and occasionally dense. But with the MQA version, the inner voices were better differentiated. And as with "Amazing Grace," the relationships of each of the singers to each other and the surrounding space seemed better defined. The reverberation tails in the warmly supportive acoustic of St. Stephen's Catholic Church, in Portland, Oregon, faded cleanly into the room tone in both cases, but at one place in the recording the MQA version just sounded more real: About two seconds before the singers start, there is a very quiet noise toward the back of the choir. It sounds somewhat like a generic tick on the original WAV file, more like a sound made by a human being in a real space in the MQA version."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-mqa

The second paragraph reads like satire to me.  Perhaps he's been trolling everyone, and no one realizes it.  I can't decide if that would be very gratifying or very disappointing to have brilliant satire go completely unrecognized.

I hope he won't object to the use of two entire paragraphs in that quote, but at least a link was provided.  lol

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

16 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

For the record this is what John Atkinson wrote about his files processed with MQA:

"The first of two recordings of mine I used for my comparisons and for which Bob Stuart had prepared MQA versions, this arrangement by Eriks Esenvalds opens and closes with solo soprano, set against a choral vocalise. I've always been happy with the sound of the original 24/88.2 WAV file, but with the MQA version, Genna McAllister's angelic vocal line stands a little more forward from the choral halo, which itself sounds a little farther back than I'm used to. Overall, there was simply less ambiguity in the spatial relationships between the singers and the surrounding acoustic with the MQA version."

"The scoring of this choral work by contemporary composer Eric Whitacre is complex and occasionally dense. But with the MQA version, the inner voices were better differentiated. And as with "Amazing Grace," the relationships of each of the singers to each other and the surrounding space seemed better defined. The reverberation tails in the warmly supportive acoustic of St. Stephen's Catholic Church, in Portland, Oregon, faded cleanly into the room tone in both cases, but at one place in the recording the MQA version just sounded more real: About two seconds before the singers start, there is a very quiet noise toward the back of the choir. It sounds somewhat like a generic tick on the original WAV file, more like a sound made by a human being in a real space in the MQA version."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-mqa

I wonder what the 'tick' was?  Was it real?  Was it a recording artifact?  If it wasn't human, then sounding more human is not more accurate?

And since it so cleanly in JA's description sounds so much more real, surely he can get away with supplying us with 2-5 seconds of that recording to compare.  It isn't music, it isn't the musicians, it is just random sound live.  Maybe he can tell us the ethical reasons he can't let us have copies of this.  Or is is part of some NDA which means legal reasons.  So he has three options to reply. 

Ethical

Legal

Ignore (my guess)

Or supply the few seconds of ambiance.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

My local library does it all the time.  😊

There's DRM that prevents you from keeping it longer than permitted.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, lucretius said:

There's also DRM removal tools.  But as long as the files are DRM'd when distributed, it's legal? 

It's legal as long as you comply with the terms of the license, whatever those are.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

The second paragraph reads like satire to me.  Perhaps he's been trolling everyone, and no one realizes it.  I can't decide if that would be very gratifying or very disappointing to have brilliant satire go completely unrecognized.

I hope he won't object to the use of two entire paragraphs in that quote, but at least a link was provided.  lol

Fair use, I think. 

The second paragraph sounds like a classic result of expectation bias. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)