IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

13 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Which history would that be, the one where Meridian lost a cumulative £40 million with their fantastic product offerings and savvy business acumen?

The history where they made excellent hifi products, the first digital actives for instance. The Hifi history, not the money history. I thought this site was about Hifi, not money. Shoot me....

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Words to never be in the same sentence as Meridian. As evidenced by their continued multimillion pound losses.

Yup, as I said "soft target". For me it's about Hifi, not how much money a company makes. Their excellent products e.g. DSP speakers are exceedingly good value. But don't let listening to good music on good, cheap equipment distract the group from MQA hate...

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Guess the market must be dumb if it missed these great values.

errr actually yes Chris. I challenge you to pick up a pair of say 7200.2s, put a decent source throughout and listen. 

You believe the market is intelligent? Multi thousand dollar cables? Yes the market can be dumb but have a listen and speak from experience maybe...

2 hours ago, firedog said:

No connection to USB DACs. Only SPDIF and Meridian proprietary link. It seems to be intended for use with Meridian equipment.

Agreed.  Although another way of looking at it is that most “network attached endpoint” devices only have USB out, which is of no use to someone who has a DAC that works best with S/PDIF input, or a DAC that does not have USB input at all.  I have zero idea if it will be any good though.  I also suspect is popularly may be poor on this thread.🙁  

I also see that it appears to have a blue light, which is nice.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

And if we weren't talking about Meridian and it's excellent product history, you'd have a point. But you don't.

I have heard their stuff and there was better out there and cheaper too, to me.

But I do have a point. If their products were as good as you say, they would have sold well, but they don't. So what does that say?

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I'm not sure I would use the word "cheap" to refer to speakers that range in price from  £3,300.00 to £26,000.00 a pair.

List prices only. You can buy an excellent active speaker for £600, just add a streamer, you'd be amazed. Really.

I'm listening to a list price pair £18500, you can pick them up in mint condition for under £6000. 

List prices are mainly for the brand imaging...

There were bit niche but now you can just plug a streamer in, possibly the best kept secret in hifi...

4 minutes ago, botrytis said:

So what does that say?

Err people don't know how good they are? They are niche? They don't market them?

I doubt you've listened to many DSP speakers with a decent source input. 

This is about MQA hate, not hifi, it won't result in a serious conversation unfortunately. 

Get a pair of 6ks, get someone to re-cap the PS, possibly other caps. Probably $2500, stunning for the money. 

Hate blinds (and deafens).

Just now, Tintinabulum said:

Err people don't know how good they are? They are niche? They don't market them?

I doubt you've listened to many DSP speakers with a decent source input. 

This is about MQA hate, not hifi, it won't result in a serious conversation unfortunately. 

Get a pair of 6ks, get someone to re-cap the PS, possibly other caps. Probably $2500, stunning for the money. 

I have - Linn was one and there were others. Nice but for the cost, not enough of an interest to me.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, Tintinabulum said:

I don't think you're the target market. More installer, which is quite profitable and something you'll struggle to sour.

If you want to have a go, they dropped Airplay from this product. Not a good move.

Meridian are an easy target for you guys, It doesn't change their history though and bang on as much as you like, there's some excellent, exceedingly well price Meridian audio gear out there that play music very well indeed. You've got the wrong guy...

Why am I not surprised Meridian's White Knight appears on cue to defend the honor....

The wrong guy? It was posted on webzines distinctly targeted at consumers.  

46 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Thats a big nothing burger, everyone knows the traditional HiFi sales channel has been tilting towards custom install since the early 90s with the advent of home theater and 5.1 systems. Thats true for nearly all brands, not just Meridian.

That said, I'm not sure how to lose £40 million while supplying that profitable installer market, unless of course you've done a very bad job of it.

Exactly. Well stated.

The fact is most of Meridian's products were square pegs trying to fit into round holes.

Stuart had an absurdly poor ability to read the market..no stand alone DAC until 2017???  $25,000 CD

players (with a built in preamp lol) when the market was dying? And we could go on.

3 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

And when did John Dark get a middle initial?

Around about the time his birth was registered, I would imagine.....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

29 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

They do indeed make excellent 5.1 systems, ever heard one? I doubt it. How much of the £40m was installer related?

It doesn't matter, there was no profit, only losses each year totaling over £40m. Giant failure of a company in HiFi marketplace terms, without significant and repeated cash infusion they'd be long gone by now.

I agree the DSP speakers are both very good sounding and were early trend setters, I first heard them in 2004 and they had already been around a while. However I don't think they represent any kind of substantial value, they are quite expensive and so taken in that context, not as impressive at all.

No I haven't heard any Meridian 5.1 systems ever, and that's by choice, I have zero interest in 5.1 in general and that's not at all limited to Meridian product.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

23 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Who cares, now your just blathering on about buying used HiFi at a bargain price. Thats off topic in this thread.

28 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

List prices are mainly for the brand imaging...

Umm, no...list prices are generally what you'd pay if you walk into a dealer and wish to buy high-end audio brand new in box.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, Tintinabulum said:

errr actually yes Chris. I challenge you to pick up a pair of say 7200.2s, put a decent source throughout and listen. 

You believe the market is intelligent? Multi thousand dollar cables? Yes the market can be dumb but have a listen and speak from experience maybe...

Trust me, I’ve been wooed by Meridian many times but the demos were all ho-hum. I’ve spent time with the systems elsewhere as well. 

Its a neat concept but performance wise it’s a no-go for me. Dutch & Dutch smokes anything Meridian has ever made. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png