IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

23 minutes ago, psjug said:

I really like Neil Young but he has said some pretty nutty things about audio.  I assume he's not talking math in the book, that he is writing about what he hears.  So while I am very interested in having you post some quotes from the book, I'm not sure I would give much weight to his opinions, given that he has said things like 

AM radio kicked streaming’s ass. 
Analog Cassettes and 8 tracks also kicked streaming’s ass, 
and absolutely rocked compared to streaming.

Streaming sucks. Streaming is the worst audio in history. 

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/11/04/neil-young-streaming-spotify/

Edit:  Maybe he discusses the greed in this business.  That could be interesting.

Pretty sure Neil was talking about streaming fairly low res mp3. So not so crazy.

On the other hand, in the promotion for PONO, he highly exaggerated the improvement hi-res gives over other formats, so most people listened and said, "I don't hear anything like what you are talking about". 
So he actually did a disservice to hi-res. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

Pretty sure Neil was talking about streaming fairly low res mp3. So not so crazy.

Who knows what he was talking about since he lumps it all together.  But if I were to assume I would think he was talking about 320kbps lossy streaming.

13 hours ago, mansr said:

They hadn't dreamt up the MQA name yet, but the format existed. Pono were going to use it, but for reasons we'll never know, changed their mind and went to Ayre instead.

Of course, Ayre.  

I had a Pono, I was a Kickstarter supporter and managed to order one of the spiffy clear acrylic versions.  It was everything it was supposed to be but I found the programming of the buttons on the touchscreen needed some work. 

I guess they were concerned about pocket dialing so every button push had a built in delay.  You would push a button, nothing would happen.  Push the same button or another, nothing would happen.  Then there would be furious activity as all the delayed button pushes activated at the same time.  Mind you, a minor annoyance and one that was easy to manage.  

I think I got to the point where I wasn't using it in the truck and when on the road started carrying a USB drive with all my music.  The Pono became redundant and was sold quite some time ago.  

3 minutes ago, psjug said:

Sorry to go on too much about this, but I can't help but ask the question:

If streaming sucks because there are poorer quality low bitrate options, then does vinyl suck because of this?

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/neil-young-makes-entire-album-in-jack-whites-recording-booth

From that article: "You can make a lo-fi, analog record, direct to vinyl, transfer it to 192, and you have a high res copy of a lo-fi vinyl record."

Sure, but to what end?

4 hours ago, esldude said:

I'll guess Neil saw MQA as a power and greed grab to be a man in the middle between artist and listener. That would have rubbed Neil very much there wrong way. 

MQA = man in the middle

Should be a t-shirt

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

17 hours ago, mansr said:

They hadn't dreamt up the MQA name yet, but the format existed. Pono were going to use it, but for reasons we'll never know, changed their mind and went to Ayre instead.

I think that Pono was, in part, scared off by the proprietary format Meridian wanted. Also, I heard that NY listened to a half-dozen or more high-end DACs and said "that one", pointing to an Ayre.

EDIT: I see an earlier post from JA suggesting that the MQA unfold was too hard on the battery!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables