IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Just read Jim Austin's futile defense of his own and his magazines promotion of the untrue marketing claims MQA.  Now we already knew that consumers - audiophiles - are not their customers, but his dismissiveness is something that even today is still surprising.  Truly he is a captain willing to go down with the Old Guard ship.   

I am realizing that Stereophiles (and the rest) technical incompetence is not accidental - rather it is required to do what they do.  Technical incompetence as a professional attribute, who would have thunk it....

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, crenca said:

Which conspiracy theory has been proven false?

The one where McGrath (or JA, or fill_in_the_blank) are "directly compensated", or the one where they directly promote the fraud that is MQA?

To be clear, I never posted, nor do I think that JA or PM are directly compensated. I pointed out the following facts:

McGrath is one of the very few who had his own recordings encoded, along with JA, and has been an avid MQA enthusiast. He got the benefit of demoing Wilson speakers piggybacking on to numerous MSB demos, where that particular manufacturer was very keen on promoting their MQA implementation. 

3 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

To be clear, I never posted, nor do I think that JA or PM are directly compensated. I pointed out the following facts:

McGrath is one of the very few who had his own recordings encoded, along with JA, and has been an avid MQA enthusiast. 

He got the benefit of demoing Wilson speakers piggybacking on to numerous MSB demos, where that particular manufacturer was very keen on promoting their MQA implementation. 

I can't confirm/deny some of the details, but the overall picture looks right.

So what explains the con-spiracy, the 'with/for + spirit' of these industry insiders such a McGrath and MQA?  Are they just naive true believers, really buying into the original alleged benefits (now proven false)?  John Atkinson says that this is his story and I actually believe him to an extant...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 minutes ago, crenca said:

I can't confirm/deny some of the details, but the overall picture looks right.

So what explains the con-spiracy, the 'with/for + spirit' of these industry insiders such a McGrath and MQA?  Are they just naive true believers, really buying into the original alleged benefits (now proven false)?  John Atkinson says that this is his story and I actually believe him to an extant...

I think it may be a sense of control , having the power.  " WE can make the music industry go in this direction".

That may have been true in the past, before the internet.  Now, there is open discussion on every web site.  People are questioning those that were unquestioned.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

22 hours ago, esldude said:

You have to spin the spin now.  MQA is so good even though lossy with additional unfolding it becomes Pure lossy.  i.e. it has lost everything.  So upon reconstruction the sound can be improved with a carefully shaped noise to enhance the deblurring beyond what random noise would have done.  MQA's loss is therefore the listener's gain. 

Actually it’s so lossy it will lose your crappy music in crappy MP3 and replace with good music (using a code and an alternate channel) — steaganographic reconstruction - 5G phones enable this without detection 😉

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, SJK said:

You lost me there.  What does Neil Young and Pono have to do with MQA?

Meridian designed the electronics for the Pono player, but MQA wasn’t even a thing back in 2014.

It looks to me like they are very good friends.. that's what I guess from the very tight hug anyway.

So it's no surprise to me he's mentioned in the book....

Ok folks it just does not get better than this:

Here is the Stereophile piece again:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-laas

and from TAS:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/from-the-editor-mqa-on-the-threshold/

From John Atkinson:

"When Peter then played the MQA version, my jaw dropped...."

From Robert Harley:

"Then, seconds into the MQA version, my jaw dropped—literally..."

Incredibly similar pieces, incredibly similar tone. Any one who denies there is coordinated marketing effort between manufactures and the two print mags is utterly in denial. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Bob Stuart created "my jaw dropped" as part of the MQA marketing campaign?

That's never been used before, even just in this hobby?

I want MQA to go away and not a fan of TAS but this is getting a bit silly.

Perhaps there is a market of an audiophile jaw strap that will keep your face from bouncing off the floor when MQA files

are played?😎

44 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Ok folks it just does not get better than this:

Here is the Stereophile piece again:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-laas

and from TAS:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/from-the-editor-mqa-on-the-threshold/

From John Atkinson:

"When Peter then played the MQA version, my jaw dropped...."

From Robert Harley:

"Then, seconds into the MQA version, my jaw dropped—literally..."

Incredibly similar pieces, incredibly similar tone. Any one who denies there is coordinated marketing effort between manufactures and the two print mags is utterly in denial. 

Add this to your conspiracy theories. 

I’ve said it before and it bares repeating, there is no coordination or conspiracy with the old guard and MQA for the same reason 9/11 wasn’t an inside job. The folks involved could never keep it a secret or coordinate it perfectly. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Add this to your conspiracy theories. 

I’ve said it before and it bares repeating, there is no coordination or conspiracy with the old guard and MQA for the same reason 9/11 wasn’t an inside job. The folks involved could never keep it a secret or coordinate it perfectly. 

So by coincidence McGrath's recordings are transformed from ordinary PCM dreck to magical, heavenly audio holographs and jaws are bouncing off the walls right and left. Ok.

9/11? C'mon man. I know you are using to make a point, but it is not clever. Nobody is dying here.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This has zero to do with his recordings. It’s just that you think there’s a conspiracy going on. If this was the case we’d all know about it. The answers to why two guys say the same thing are much easier. They’ve been using this language for 50 years!

Agree with your last point. please note, I was not including McGrath in any point I was trying to make here. It just happened to be his recordings.  Of course his facebook quote was obviously marketing nonsense, but as far as Harley and Atkinson's reactions that was purely their own doing. The manufactures I mean are those that are "MQA Partners".