Jump to content
Rt66indierock

MQA is Vaporware

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

McGrath, Lindberg, Silverman, and Ludwig all have financial stakes in MQA catching. 

 

I’ve seen this claim about Peter McGrath before but never quite caught what his financial interest in MQA would be. He works for a speaker manufacturer so no gain there as far as I can tell. He does his own recordings but it’s not clear to me how promoting MQA would increase sales of them. Or does he even sell them? I don’t know. I’m aware that he DOES promote MQA, I just don’t see how he gains financially by doing so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

 

I’ve seen this claim about Peter McGrath before but never quite caught what his financial interest in MQA would be. He works for a speaker manufacturer so no gain there as far as I can tell. He does his own recordings but it’s not clear to me how promoting MQA would increase sales of them. Or does he even sell them? I don’t know. I’m aware that he DOES promote MQA, I just don’t see how he gains financially by doing so. 

 

He is also a recording engineer and uses his own recordings to promote the speaker manufacturer that he works for. He also had samples of his recordings made into MQA files but NEVER plays the MQA versus non-MQA file. Why is that? I have heard at a local audio store and also at AXPONA.


Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, botrytis said:

 

He is also a recording engineer and uses his own recordings to promote the speaker manufacturer that he works for. He also had samples of his recordings made into MQA files but NEVER plays the MQA versus non-MQA file. Why is that? I have heard at a local audio store and also at AXPONA.

I've seen and heard him do the MQA vs. NonMQA of his own music many times. 


Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, botrytis said:

He also had samples of his recordings made into MQA files but NEVER plays the MQA versus non-MQA file.

 

I have heard Peter McGrath present comparisons between the MQA versions of his recordings and the original PCM versions at CES, at RMAF, and at an event open to the public at retailer Innovative Audio in Manhattan.

 

I don't know why he would do the comparisons for everyone but you. 🙂

 

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

 

I’ve seen this claim about Peter McGrath before but never quite caught what his financial interest in MQA would be. He works for a speaker manufacturer so no gain there as far as I can tell. He does his own recordings but it’s not clear to me how promoting MQA would increase sales of them. Or does he even sell them? I don’t know. I’m aware that he DOES promote MQA, I just don’t see how he gains financially by doing so. 

Lumping Peter into this as someone with a financial interest is like lumping in the credit card industry. Sure they'll collect some fees if an MQA product is sold, but it's really a stretch. Peter has nothing to gain directly. Sure some of his friends might make money on MQA, but this shouldn't be the standard we use. 


Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John_Atkinson said:

 

I have heard Peter McGrath present comparisons between the MQA versions of his recordings and the original PCM versions at CES, at RMAF, and at an event open to the public at retailer Innovative Audio in Manhattan.

 

I don't know why he would do the comparisons for everyone but you. 🙂

 

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

 

 

As I said, one was at AXPONA , it was late in the day and the other was at a local store. There were others there but maybe it was just the time crunch, but it is what happened. Not getting up in arms. 

 

I like Mr. McGrath as he is very personable and fun to discuss music with.


Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Lumping Peter into this as someone with a financial interest is like lumping in the credit card industry. Sure they'll collect some fees if an MQA product is sold, but it's really a stretch. Peter has nothing to gain directly. Sure some of his friends might make money on MQA, but this shouldn't be the standard we use. 

 

I agree with this. 


Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me clarify with respect to McGrath 

 

First, I should have said the folks I mentioned have a financial interest in MQA succeeding, not a financial stake. They have no direct investment in MQA Ltd as far as any one knows. Nor did I claim the do.

 

Wilson and MSB share many of the same dealers due to the price tags of their products, MSB has dozen dozens and dozens of dealer events promoting their MQA capability on their DAC, always using their upper tier, Aston Martin priced products. McGrath has been at most if not all of these events to set up Wilsons. I have been to 2 of these events here, and a close friend in Souther California has been to 4 of them.  At various HiFi shows he has demoed using MQA numerous times since 2017.

 

He gets an all expenses paid demo for his speakers. He gets to play his old recordings, which, news flash, no body cares about, newly MQA's shiny and bright. He has also been to virtually every Stereophile and TAS writer's house  who has reviewed Wilsons to set up them up. He in deeper to the club than most. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Who cares.

 

Zero to do with MQA. He or another rep from Wilson would be there anyway. 

 

 

So has every other manufacturer in HiFi.

 

 

Not relevant to MQA at all. Some speakers need to be used that's a fact. He has good ones. 

 

 

Nothing to do with MQA and it's a smart business move. Make sure your product is showcased correctly if someone is going to write about it. Many HiFi manufactures do the exact same thing. If a review is done, a rep visits. 

Ha, stupid me I am a dumb ass. I forgot you were just accommodated on Wilson speakers, so your skepticism is understandable. 

 

Just human nature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, christopher3393 said:

 

You've indicated that my inquiry is off topic when it is likely on target. You have evaded these questions a couple of times and the OP has deleted my question at least once. Your style is very familiar. Does the name "Andre Marc" ring a bell?

What on earth are you talking about? Who are YOU exactly?

 

Replying to your own post? Ultimate lameness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

 

another non-denial. I have shared my identity with Chris Connaker and provided references as evidence. Why don't you share your identity with Chris, which he can keep confidential, and show just an ounce of good faith. All this bleating about the improprieties of others and you won't even clarify your relationship with the industry?

 

1 minute ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Find something do with your self please. 🤣

 

Nice.


"Due recognition is not just a courtesy we owe people. It is a vital human need."  ---  Charles Taylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, we've reached intermission time. A small teaser for the next act and hints an audience member will not be rejoining us.  Enjoy!

 

 

 

So you have a new JA to kick around now that the keys have been turned over.

 

So the new JA can only offer unenlightened views on editorial decisions before his time.

 

So MQA is slowly being phased out of their conversation on new and current items of interest.

 

So they never stop reselling old ideas as they endlessly parade by under the "Stereophile" banner.

 

So how long after MQA's uneventful final mention in those pages will you carry on like JA's in here.

 

So you'll win this battle because time and magazine reader interests move ever onwards.

 

So long stretches of this thread gained no ground and allowed occupation by a commercial body.

 

So another brilliant strategy to put down the evil tax scheme MQA shown to be for naught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Ha, stupid me I am a dumb ass. I forgot you were just accommodated on Wilson speakers, so your skepticism is understandable. 

 

Just human nature. 

 

So, if I could do it, I would also. This is about trying to have civil discourse w/o name calling etc.

 

I met Dave Wilson and Darryl several times and they both were some of the most gracious, humble, and nice people I have ever met. Same with Paul McGrath.


Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, botrytis said:

 

So, if I could do it, I would also. This is about trying to have civil discourse w/o name calling etc.

 

I met Dave Wilson and Darryl several times and they both were some of the most gracious, humble, and nice people I have ever met. Same with Paul McGrath.

Nothing wrong with accommodation, every industry offers it. 

 

I am sure the Wilson folks are great guys, Nothing against their products.  McGrath is simply being out for promoting MQA, and being "privileged" enough to have his files encoded..why was he one of the few people chosen? MQA did not expect him to publicly praise it?

 

See my link above. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...