Rt66indierock

MQA is Vaporware

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

In fairness to JA, he doesn't say "full authentic" in the quote you shared there. You said that...

He says unfolded. And yes we know unfolding beyond 96k is crappy up-sampling...

I want MQA to go away but I like JA's inputs here so we need to stay accurate or he'll disappear from this thread and we're left with not much.

Sorry he had a perfect opportunity to qualify the "24/192" unfold claim. He did not. 

1 minute ago, Jim Austin said:

Oh, and Chris, almost forgot: I stirred up your forum for you, made you a couple of bucks. You're welcome. 

Jim Austin, Editor

Stereophile

Your smugness really is second to none. Perhaps your loyalty to JA for providing you with an actual full time job is blinding you.

Just now, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Sorry he had a perfect opportunity to qualify the "24/192" unfold claim. He did not. 

Like you I'd prefer MQA go away, but respectfully, that's a bit silly in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Your smugness really is second to none. Perhaps your loyalty to JA for providing you with an actual full time job is blinding you.

That bio on his personal site, tho.  It's been cleaned up but you can find snippets of the even more narcissistic version somewhere on this AS site if you can stomach it.

http://www.jimaustin.org/

You're welcome!

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Thank you for reaffirming my decision not to renew my Stereophile subscription.

I didn't renew my subscription in the early 90's.

I wonder if the current readership realizes how badly they're being played.

11 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Finally.

And JVS just published an album review where he didn't mention MQA. Imagine that. 
Maybe all our comments are having an effect. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Every time that I read 'unfold', I cringe.   'Unfolding' is imperfect.  (I am not disagreeing with the previous comment -- just that 'unfolding' sounds too nice.)

Unfolding is first IMPERFECT, secondly -- UNFOLDING would not be necessary unless there was the ugly 'FOLDING', which by the way that it is described -- is a loss of data with hints.   Plucking coefficents from a DCT/MDCT based on stats/levels is also that kind of lossage.

The "fold -> unfold" is lossy -- similar to "dct -> pluck out coefficents -> idct" being lossy.

Some of the math might be more 'natural' or 'built-in' to the system with folding/unfolding -- maybe, maybe-not, but that doesn't make it audibly good.   If the result is incomplete after 'unfolding', then the 'noise' had better be statistically close to dither, or it can produce problems.

John