Rt66indierock

MQA is Vaporware

Rate this topic

On 8/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, Samuel T Cogley said:

You seemed to be complaining about something.  Now you say you weren't.  The copious use of "again" (20 times by my count) to me indicated a heightened emotional state.  You also unambiguously suggested that some people here were tilting at windmills:

So sure, nothing to see here.  OK.  🙄

Startrek's most intimidating barrister is back again! Aren't there bigger fish to fry out there in the interwibble?  🦄

"The fundamental task of music is to give resonance not to objectivity but rather to the manner in which the innermost self is essentially moved according to its subjectivity and the ideal nature of the soul."  ---  GWF Hegel, Lectures On Aesthetics

catfishing?

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hate to read into and pick apart language, but using the term “it must be acknowledged” seems to come from a place of “we were wrong initially” or “although I’m a supporter, it must be ...”

Rather than an educational stance the language seems apologetic. 

I could be 100% wrong. Perhaps @Jim Austin can fill us in. 

Let me first say how cool it is to know you folks read parse Stereophile so carefully, phrase by phrase--yet more evidence that Stereophile is the audio magazine of record. 

Should I have chosen a more neutral phrase than "it must be acknowledged"? Yeah, probably. 

I should note however that this contradicts nothing I've written. My earliest technical writings about MQA made it clear that any unfolding beyond 96kHz is lossy. There was no room for it in the magazine--anyway it would have been a digression--but I can add here that almost all of what's lost (or retained, for that matter) at those frequencies is electronic noise, which, being random, compresses poorly but is easily modeled. To me it seems foolish to devote so much bandwidth to random noise, however cheap and abundant it--the bandwidth--might be.

Jim Austin, Editor

Stereophile

1 hour ago, Jim Austin said:

Let me first say how cool it is to know you folks read parse Stereophile so carefully, phrase by phrase--yet more evidence that Stereophile is the audio magazine of record. 

Should I have chosen a more neutral phrase than "it must be acknowledged"? Yeah, probably. 

I should note however that this contradicts nothing I've written. My earliest technical writings about MQA made it clear that any unfolding beyond 96kHz is lossy. There was no room for it in the magazine--anyway it would have been a digression--but I can add here that almost all of what's lost (or retained, for that matter) at those frequencies is electronic noise, which, being random, compresses poorly but is easily modeled. To me it seems foolish to devote so much bandwidth to random noise, however cheap and abundant it--the bandwidth--might be.

Jim Austin, Editor

Stereophile

Jim how cool is it to be the editor of a heritage magazine? A magazine acquired to in their own words. “This enables us to better serve our international manufacturer and distributor customers.”

So are you the magazine of record for advertisers?

1 minute ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

From this recent review, Atkinson claims MQA can provide full authentic 24/192 playback:

In fairness to JA, he doesn't say "full authentic" in the quote you shared there. You said that...

He says unfolded. And yes we know unfolding beyond 96k is crappy up-sampling...

I want MQA to go away but I like JA's inputs here so we need to stay accurate or he'll disappear from this thread and we're left with not much.

3 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

From this recent review, Atkinson claims MQA can provide full authentic 24/192 playback:

As I write these words, I'm listening through the Sony-Sennheiser system to Radka Toneff's hauntingly beautiful performance of "Nature Boy," from the 2018 Original Master Edition reissue of her Fairytales (24/48 MQA file unfolded to 24/192, Odin CD9561), our Recording of the Month for April 2018. I have to keep lifting my fingers from the keyboard to revel in the glory of the sound and the song: musical gold to match the DMP-Z1's gold-plated volume control.

'

I'll be polite and just say that you and I obviously don't read this the same way. 

My Best,

Jim Austin, Editor

Stereophile

1 minute ago, tmtomh said:

Never admit you were wrong; never admit you were influenced by anything said here; never admit that anything you've written now is any different from what you wrote in the past ("there was no room for it in the magazine"? That's what you're gonna go with?); and when people have the inevitable critical response to your total and utter lack of accountability and self-serving revisionism, you can always drop the other shoe by saying how uncivil and ad hominem everyone here is.

That’s the Presidential way. 

Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There’s no accounting for taste, but facts are facts. 

I doubt there's ever been a intolerant opinion expressed that didn't make essentially that same, weak argument. 

It's time for me to eat dinner. You guys have fun. 

Jim Austin, Editor

Stereophile