IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

Why else would you keep brushing aside all the solid evidence that MQA is nothing but a money-grabbing scam while banging on about how it sounds and that some people like that supposed sound. If MQA were good old snake oil medicine, you'd be asking us to look at the bottle and say if we find it pretty.

You obdurately hear what you wish to hear, not what I wrote. 

I said that besides myself, pretty much everyone I have talked to that thought MQA sounded better than PCM or DSD changed their minds when they were able to listen to it a properly level matched and relaxed test environment. 

I said that individual opinions are far more compelling than “jump on the bandwagon” propaganda crap.  

I said said that I do not buy into the hidden agenda here. I have no desire to punish the audiophile press. 

I said that that the testing and research done here shows that MQA is an inferior format. 

I have said that MQA the company’s behavior is odious and utterly unacceptable. 

I said the last thing that MQA has to hang onto is “MQA sounds better.” To disprove that, you must listen to it, there is just simply no other way. 

I even said why MQA won’t do such testing, it would be cutting their own throats. 

I said I disagree with your technical evaluation of MQA processing, provided you references and my identity  in private messages, and declined to dispute it in public with you. It is not important to me to prove you “wrong” or myself “right”, nor do I wish to be the target of any potential lawsuit. And it does not effect the sound, which I have repeatedly said is far more important than the tech - to me and most other audiophiles. 

Yet from your own prejudice, you insist I am a fan of or supporter of MQA. That is ridiculous. 

Listening is is the key here. In more than one way. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

57 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Nope. The extraordinary claim here is that MQA sounds better than say, FLAC.  It is sheer fantasy to think anyone can prove or disprove that to you. 

Either it sounds better to you, or it does not. There is no middle ground in that. And nobody, not one single person on the entire planet, can answer that question for you - only you can do it. 

Or you can just attack me, because I refuse to buy into the stupid group think and middle school taunting you and others wish to engage in. Middle school taunts did not bother me all that much in middle school, why would they now?  I encourage you to think, rather than emote. 

WOW!

Are you alright?

Do you want me to call someone?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

9 minutes ago, botrytis said:

The point is I have. People tell me that is not what you heard. Nothing more I can do. This has happened more than once and on more than one forum. As I said, people have read in the audio magazines that MQA is the best thing since sliced bread. They ask me, what do I know.? This is the impasse we are at. You have the disingenuous audio press pushing MQA, yet I have determined, for me, it is not a good thing (sounds terrible, etc.). How can I compete with the audiophile press?

Then we have people, like Mansr, Archimago, Chris, etc. that go out of their way to explore and test MQA, along with other things (like DACs, etc) and prove that MQA is not all they say. What do they get? Condemnation and belittling from the audio press as well as MQA itself. That just tells me they knew it was a load of horse poop from the beginning. 

You already do compete with, and influence them to some degree or another. It is not like your voice isn’t heard, despite all the stupidity thrown your way to muffle it. Or mine, or any of the other folks who just come out and say what they heard. It sounds trite, but the truth will out in the end. 

My opinion, but the problem with the audiophile press is more that they are under attack from here than they are attacking anyone. The “hidden agenda” here is, in part to punish the press. You attack anyone and they tend to defend themselves. That is true even of the press people vilified here. I have no idea how Atkinson, for example has so much patience. 

Robert A. Heinlein

6 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

WOW!

Someone is spending an incredible amount of time and effort re-posting all the talking points that Lee posted.  They are being re-posted in a more passive-aggressive fashion, but they are the same BS.

lee never did the name calling and unreasoning hatred that paulr does.

28 minutes ago, Paul R said:

You obdurately hear what you wish to hear, not what I wrote. 

I said that besides myself, pretty much everyone I have talked to that thought MQA sounded better than PCM or DSD changed their minds when they were able to listen to it a properly level matched and relaxed test environment. 

I said that individual opinions are far more compelling than “jump on the bandwagon” propaganda crap.  

I said said that I do not buy into the hidden agenda here. I have no desire to punish the audiophile press. 

I said that that the testing and research done here shows that MQA is an inferior format. 

I have said that MQA the company’s behavior is odious and utterly unacceptable. 

I said the last thing that MQA has to hang onto is “MQA sounds better.” To disprove that, you must listen to it, there is just simply no other way. 

I even said why MQA won’t do such testing, it would be cutting their own throats. 

I said I disagree with your technical evaluation of MQA processing, provided you references and my identity  in private messages, and declined to dispute it in public with you. It is not important to me to prove you “wrong” or myself “right”, nor do I wish to be the target of any potential lawsuit. And it does not effect the sound, which I have repeatedly said is far more important than the tech - to me and most other audiophiles. 

Yet from your own prejudice, you insist I am a fan of or supporter of MQA. That is ridiculous. 

Listening is is the key here. In more than one way. 

Wait, so are you saying you're in violent agreement with pretty well everyone else here?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

Nope, I must have misunderstood or misread what you wrote.

That one cannot evil MQA in total isolation (at least without extreme measures) is so obvious that I guess I just did not really think to say out loud I agree. Apologies for that, was not trying to be rude. 

Appreciate the reply, Paul.

I'm hoping we can further agree that when comparing MQA and PCM, using the same source (meaning the MQA and PCM sources are generated from the same base mastering of the album or music in question, of course understanding that MQA encoding can change the sound), using the same upstream and downstream equipment before and after the DAC, and volume-matching the MQA and PCM versions, does not count as "extreme measures."

In other words, while I agree that it can be difficult to completely isolate MQA so that one is only comparing the pure algorithm and digital filters, many MQA comparisons have apparently been done with significantly different masterings, unmatched levels, and so on - and I would hope we could agree that those types of comparisons are not desirable and are avoidable with a level of care that need not rise to the level of "extreme measures."

Yes?

Most certainly. Extreme measures are more like what the McGill study did. Your thinking appears both clear and sound to me. 

I think for comparisons of the level we are talking about, a relaxed atmosphere and very familiar equipment are what is called for. After all, where I would really want to hear the difference is is my own rig, the one I listen to the most. I am assuming that most people would want to go that route as well. 

I don't think that finding matching MQA and PCM audio files to compare is that much of a chore, though MQA does seem to always have the amplitude boosted. Adjusting the volume to equal levels is a chore, but is one thing that absolutely has to be done. 

Yours, 

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Next sentences in the May 2018 issue of Hifi Pig interview of Lothar Kerestedjian I previously quoted from.

"It doesn't matter what it is - they (US based mediums) jump on it and make it big (for a short period of time) and then something new comes along.  There is no persistence feel."

Fighting hype with hype, bluster blow for blow with bluster,...  When MQA is no longer interesting this same endowment will pass to the next drum circle ad infinitum.  Sound familiar?

Two and a half paragraphs later we continue a reasonable assessment.

"Over the past two years, the initial product concept, company's attitude and the way MQA was marketed has changed and felt dishonest to me.  Hence, the abrupt stop.  Bob Stuart promised me many things but none of them have come through so far.  I wonder why?"

Hmm, less a blind chest thumping frenzied war party brooking no new information disagreeable to its cravings for contact with the enemy than calm assessment of which way the winds are blowing.  The strength to reverse a previously held conclusion at risk to one's name. 

Sensible and civil.

Edit: I see at least one recent response directly above has been removed.  Should this seem somewhat disjointed or lacking immediate context. :)

27 minutes ago, rando said:

Next sentences in the May 2018 issue of Hifi Pig interview of Lothar Kerestedjian I previously quoted from.

"It doesn't matter what it is - they (US based mediums) jump on it and make it big (for a short period of time) and then something new comes along.  There is no persistence feel."

Fighting hype with hype, bluster blow for blow with bluster,...  When MQA is no longer interesting this same endowment will pass to the next drum circle ad infinitum.  Sound familiar?

Two and a half paragraphs later we continue a reasonable assessment.

"Over the past two years, the initial product concept, company's attitude and the way MQA was marketed has changed and felt dishonest to me.  Hence, the abrupt stop.  Bob Stuart promised me many things but none of them have come through so far.  I wonder why?"

Hmm, less a blind chest thumping frenzied war party brooking no new information disagreeable to its cravings for contact with the enemy than calm assessment of which way the winds are blowing.  The strength to reverse a previously held conclusion at risk to one's name. 

Sensible and civil.

Edit: I see at least one recent response directly above has been removed.  Should this seem somewhat disjointed or lacking immediate context. :)

i guess some get "repetitive post count/page view producing" witness protection. 

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hmmm. So far I've seen MQA Ltd. want to remaster content used for demonstrations but all other content is just a right-click-convert process. 

Then what is the white glove treatment that MQA said it has given to some recordings?

mQa is dead!

6 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

I will come out and say this: Being a music consumer and seeing that MQA is pure BS and royally screws the music consumer,  I am vehemently opposed to MQA.

Why some people spend enormous amounts of time and effort making excuses for MQA raises questions in my mind.

Here is my guess at an answer: (Serious attempt to avoid blather herein)

It seems to me that sometimes people might want to discuss technically 'interesting' attributes of  'MQA'.  The problem with many in this audience (myself included), is that many have already dismissed it as an undesirable utilisation of a possibly technically interesting piece of intellectual property.  (When I mention 'undesirable', I mean in the application/usage of MQA from the consumer's standpoint.)  Given that, a discussion about the technical merits of MQA becomes less interesting for practical applications  -- and might even be interpreted as a distraction away from the possibly disqualifying disadvantages of MQA.   For those who enjoy intellectual exercises, DSP techniques/math, then some of the tricks/techniques in MQA might become an interesting discussion.

A purely technical discussion about MQA (statistically valid comparisons, etc) makes sense -- but the actual reason for MQA existing in the audio delivery chain keeps on being a cause for 'ugly thoughts' :-).    Some just might not be interested because MQA is already (somewhat rightfully -- IMO) blown-off as an attempt at control and or profteering.

My guess is that things would settle down if we could intellectually separate a discussion of the pure technical advantages and quality comparisons from the disqualifying aspects of MQA.  It IS difficult to separate the two kinds of discussion, because once MQA is at least superficially understood, then it can be seen as a 'solution' to a problem that a lot of people don't want to solve -- that is, filling the licensor's bank accounts.

There really isn't anything wrong with a purely technical/statistical discussion about MQA performance and techniques.  Just keep on remembering the reasons why MQA is liked or is NOT liked...

I do think that we *should* try to separate the technical good/bad about MQA from the fact that MQA doesn't seem to be a 'good thing' in general to many of us.

John