IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

facts are established by experimentation - the question is whether or to what extent they apply outside the conditions of that experiment

A source of great amusement is reading many of the papers produced by, say, AES - "facts" which are only extremely vaguely connected to the requirements for high quality sound, with holes in the concept that one could drive multiple trucks, side by side, through ...

1 minute ago, KeenObserver said:

No no.  You misconstrued what I was saying!

Your theories are absolutely amazing and should be injected into every thread possible as many times as possible!

Ah, we need more men of humour ... audio does take itself far too seriously ... I mean, it's only about doin' something like foolin' around with old cars ...

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

A source of great amusement is reading many of the papers produced by, say, AES - "facts" which are only extremely vaguely connected to the requirements for high quality sound, with holes in the concept that one could drive multiple trucks, side by side, through ...

ostriches skiing.gif

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

As @Thuaveta said above. In which part of Jim Austin's writings is he demonstrating the value of MQA in a way that answers the critiques technically?

Remember guys, it was Jim Austin's articles regarding MQA that told us that the record labels didn't want to release their hi-res "crown jewels" and that MQA was some kind of solution...

I thought Robert Harley (TAS editor) came first with the "crown jewel" industry motivation for MQA (or anything like it)...I could be misremembering...

@daverich4, allow me to summarize what Jim Austin (who is now editor of Stereophile) did in his series:

He took diverse marketing claims of MQA/Bob Stuart and in his idiosyncratic, and at times impenetrable way, tried to make sense of them from his particular understanding of signal processing.  He did more than "make sense" of them (because he really did not do that - see below), but rather tried to understand and view them in the best possible light. 

In other words, his entire effort was a marketing gloss. No measurements, zilch, nada.  To his credit at the end of the series he does say that if he or anyone else could have independent measurements of the encoder (I think he mentioned impulse response) then everything MQA and he said could be actually...you know...be supported, verified, or otherwise shown to be in some way/shape/form as true.   We all know, or at least should know, that this is exactly what MQA has refused to do.  😉

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

16 minutes ago, Paul R said:

If you mean you are setting a new record for being an obdurate ass, then possibly. When are you going to learn you cannot tell people how to feel?

People read an article where turning on MQA made a device sound better. I am sure that the article was factual, and not misleading to people. If you buy one of those and turn on MQA in the settings, it will sound better. Its the same as reading an article where the MQA version of a file from Tidal sounded better than the Redbook version. 

Again, all most audiophiles really care about is does it sound better, will it increase my enjoyment, and how much does it cost? Routing all the sound through a superior filter or something doesn't really enter their minds, except perhaps as a reason why it sounds better. The fact that it was MQA that made it sound "better" - no more important that playing a music file with JRiver or Roon. 

You don't see this. That is called "tunnel blindness." 

I'm trying to figure out where these "facts" you are talking about are posted.

Are you talking about those articles where some people supposedly "hear" a difference?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

31 minutes ago, Paul R said:

People read an article where turning on MQA made a device sound better. I am sure that the article was factual, and not misleading to people. If you buy one of those and turn on MQA in the settings, it will sound better. Its the same as reading an article where the MQA version of a file from Tidal sounded better than the Redbook version.

Anyone can apply DSP to make a system, and a recording, "sound better" - people being rewarded, as an industry wide thing, for doing this has the smell of "let's make money from something that's not the slightest bit special, that people can do for themselves"

From interview of Lothar Kerestedijian in May 2018 edition of Hifi Pig when asked about journalists in the US decrying MQA.

"I call that "Fake News".  The massive hype from States makes me sick."

Too much in that statement applies to the daily goings on in this thread.  Especially petty arguments breaking out over toning down the hype.  

Kindly try not to burn down the rest of this place if you would.

20 minutes ago, rando said:

From interview of Lothar Kerestedijian in May 2018 edition of Hifi Pig when asked about journalists in the US decrying MQA.

"I call that "Fake News".  The massive hype from States makes me sick."

Too much in that statement applies to the daily goings on in this thread.  Especially petty arguments breaking out over toning down the hype.  

Kindly try not to burn down the rest of this place if you would.

What are you even talking about??

Also, point me to the "journalists", or even the usual audio trade publications that are "decrying MQA"!

18 minutes ago, crenca said:

Also, point me to the "journalists", or even the usual audio trade publications that are "decrying MQA"!

Direct quote, intentionally used, obviously intending a different meaning than decrying has. 

Anyways, slapdash comments were expected from the usual reactionary quarters.  Being K.O.'d.

42 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Well, that's it then.  I guess this means the discussion is over.

Let me just ask this:  How's the weather on your planet?

The man makes no sense, no sense at all.  What "journalists " is he talking about?!?  

Is he a member of the Old Guard who is really bitching about the consumer reaction to the MQA fraud through all the egg on his face?