IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

17 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Also not being facetious, but are engineering practitioners not also scientists?

Engineering deals in applied science. Engineers are not scientists. Do you want your bridge design to be an experiment? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Where are those measurements?

They are not all that difficult to find, some are even well done measurements, as in this article

Do note that I have far more confidence in Archimago’s test results. But I strongly suggest that there is a case of tunnel vision happening here and in other places. “Facts” can and are being used as weapons to support agendas. 

Also note most most people do not care about MQA as a stand-alone thing, only how it sounds in products they own. Facts may not be compelling if a MQA version sounds better than a Redbook quality file to someone. It is likely that will lead to questioning of the facts. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

25 minutes ago, firedog said:

Engineering deals in applied science. Engineers are not scientists. Do you want your bridge design to be an experiment? 

I would want my bridge to be based on established scientific principals.

Just as I want my sound reproduction system to be based on established scientific principals.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

How is that supposed to be relevant?

Because MQA is not usually measured as itself, but as part of the measurement of a device. Did you read the part where they turned on MQA?

It is probably far more relevant to most people than how many bits are reconstructed (or lost) in an MQA unfold.

Robert A. Heinlein

11 minutes ago, Archimago said:

As @Thuaveta said above. In which part of Jim Austin's writings is he demonstrating the value of MQA in a way that answers the critiques technically?

Remember guys, it was Jim Austin's articles regarding MQA that told us that the record labels didn't want to release their hi-res "crown jewels" and that MQA was some kind of solution...

Always good to hear from you!

Are you a scientist?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

2 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Always good to hear from you!

Are you a scientist?

Well... "Scientist" may be difficult to define and depends on what level of academic life one is engaged in.

Let's say I work at the university, my degrees have the word "science" in them, and my faculty appointment also has the word "professor" in there somewhere :-).

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

Are you really that devoid of clue? Enabling the MQA mode activated an alternate signal path resulting in a non-MQA test signal being reproduced more accurately. The manufacturer could easily have done the same unconditionally, but for "inexplicable" reasons chose to tie the best performance to the MQA mode.

Are you really so tunnel blind?  Does that alter the “fact” that turning on MQA mode made it sound better?  

Most people are not going to care why.  

Robert A. Heinlein

6 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Well... "Scientist" may be difficult to define and depends on what level of academic life one is engaged in.

Let's say I work at the university, my degrees have the word "science" in them, and my faculty appointment also has the word "professor" in there somewhere :-).

I have always enjoyed the humor of the misnomer  in your chosen moniker. 

A sorcerer continually plying deceitful Magic’s! 🙃

Robert A. Heinlein

7 minutes ago, Archimago said:

I was trying to be humorous.

Your credentials are well established and recognized.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

27 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Remember guys, it was Jim Austin's articles regarding MQA that told us that the record labels didn't want to release their hi-res "crown jewels" and that MQA was some kind of solution...

Which do you prefer?

This:

spacer.png

Or this:

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I need to go to the store.

On the way I have to cross a bridge that the builder stated was "perceptually sound".

The chasm between engineering in most areas, and methods used in audio are quite large - when the bridge falls down, and astronauts die because someone didn't fully check all the fine details - then there is usually little argument that the integrity of the system wasn't quite good enough ... in audio, one is assaulted with bad sound at every turn, because having one's ears suffer is a minor consequence; if they are all as bad as each other, in an infinite number of minor variations, then no-one is the wiser. The concept that the system should be robust enough that it simply presents what's on the recording, with inaudible additions because of the makeup of the chain, is quite foreign to most - it's more fun to play with paints.

At the moment audio is about building a bridge where only vehicles that are light enough, and cross at exactly the right speed will make it to the other side - one talks of the small number of "good vehicles" out there, the special ones amongst the numerous "bad vhicles", ^_^.