IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Email in some form existed as early as 1973: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc561

You could make the argument that it existed already in the 60's, but you are correct that only in the 70's was the format more or less universalized. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Email in some form existed as early as 1973: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc561

No doubt. Arpanet dated back to ?1969. There were different networks & protocols stitched together with RFCs. Ultimately IP won out. Ultimately URIs were layered on top. Here were are today typing or talking on our phones, laptops, who knows?

After all these decades we still have to fight back the forces of end to end closed systems and proprietary data formats. Who would think?

Julia & Gen are exciting me these days.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

4 hours ago, firedog said:

Are you finding a lot of albums are only available as MQA?

For sure Tidal keeps shoving an MQA version everytime they get the chance.  But it's more than that - at several listening sessions conducted at different locations (not just my own setup) the quality of the Tidal stream was just garbage.   CD playback or local file storage is so much better than whatever you get over Tidal including the silly "Master" versions.  

IMO You have to be completely ignorant of high quality sound if you continue to subscribe to Tidal HiFI.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

8 hours ago, firedog said:

My impression is that Stereophile reviews a fair amount of reasonably priced products. You see them listed  in their yearly recommended components.  Those products have all been reviewed in the magazine. In loudspeakers, for instance, they even have a category for "LF restricted" speakers, which generally translates to reasonably priced. 

LF restricted means low frequency restricted and would include desktop in addition to some bookshelf speakers - not necessarily reasonably priced.  Apparently, they think that reasonable priced speakers are OK for your desktop -- just don't use them for your main system, yada, yada, yada..

mQa is dead!

27 minutes ago, lucretius said:

LF restricted means low frequency restricted and would include desktop in addition to some bookshelf speakers - not necessarily reasonably priced.  Apparently, they think that reasonable priced speakers are OK for your desktop -- just don't use them for your main system, yada, yada, yada..

Yep, you post without knowing what you are talking about, as JA noted. https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2019-edition-loudspeakers

Those desktop speakers you refer to include Klipsch Heresey and some pretty good standmounts. Most are definitely not “desktop” models. In all categories there are numerous components under $2k and even $1k.some substantially under $1k.  Most  are perfectly fine audiophile components.

18 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

You really need to read more before you post. See https://www.stereophile.com/taxonomy/term-p/141

- plenty of affordable speakers reviewed that will shine in a regular system, as well as a dedicated desktop speaker system like the impressive Vanatoo.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

39 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

You really need to read more before you post. See https://www.stereophile.com/taxonomy/term-p/141

- plenty of affordable speakers reviewed that will shine in a regular system, as well as a dedicated desktop speaker system like the impressive Vanatoo.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Thanks. I didn't know you had a section entitled Budget Component Reviews. But you have to admit, it's a bit sparse. For example, 7 items in 2018 (2 items were speakers), 12 items in 2017 (4 items were speakers), and 11 items in 2016 (4 items were speakers).

mQa is dead!

23 minutes ago, firedog said:

hose desktop speakers you refer to include Klipsch Heresey and some pretty good standmounts. Most are definitely not “desktop” models. In all categories there are numerous components under $2k and even $1k.some substantially under $1k.  Most  are perfectly fine audiophile components

I didn't say that LF Restricted loudspeakers were all desktops.  And, BTW,  the Klipsch's are in 'Class C' (I also see a Class D, E,and K, LOL); who buys class C?*  Not much in Class B.  Rarely anything in Class A .

*Actually, I did once. Turned out to be a huge mistake.

mQa is dead!

Lack of products in a certain category isn't a problem.  Stereophile caters to more expensive system buyers.  They can't do everything, and are to be commended for addressing the more affordable range.  I didn't see an actual review of either Vanatoo system, but they do list Dayton's at $31/pair (!)

I have been up to the mountain, or otherwise occupied.  It's been months.  It will take me some time to catch up.

Perhaps someone can get me up to speed.

Is MQA dead yet?

Have the new financials for MQA been posted yet?  I seem to recall they were due out in July.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

I have been up to the mountain, or otherwise occupied.  It's been months.  It will take me some time to catch up.

Perhaps someone can get me up to speed.

Is MQA dead yet?

Have the new financials for MQA been posted yet?  I seem to recall they were due out in July.

Quick recap:

You missed a new drive by shill. 7Digital seems on the brink of collapse. We found out HDTracks sued 7d for breach of contract for failing to provide their MQA streaming service. 

Who else can fill in?

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

Have the new financials for MQA been posted yet?

Not yet.

The deadline is nine months after the company’s financial year ends so they have until the end of September. Last year they filed on Sept 21st.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09123512/filing-history

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Who else can fill in?

well, let's see....this happened:

I know, you're going to ask "What does this have to do with MQA?" Here's your answer: this can be used as an all-purpose response. Note: Darko says there are thousands of them and they are everywhere....and they are intolerant. That's why they don't like MQA! They're too picky, too opinionated, too arrogant, etc. Of course, this presupposes that there actually are audiophiles that fit the bill. And that wouldn't include anyone here. After all, that's not Audiophile Style, is it? That's for those radically subjective styleholes out there in the industry and media that shill for the latest fads, like MQA. Not us! We're more...how shall I put it...objective. 🦄