IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 minutes ago, mansr said:

As a consumer, you still have no say in which filters get used. The encoding side is what it is, and even if DACs differ, the choice there is limited to whatever MQA has certified.

Not entirely true. 

It's not totally unlimited and wide open, but there are some choices. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, mansr said:

At least agree that the encoding filter is fixed for any given MQA file (the producer might have options). On the playback end, please tell me how to choose upsampling filters on, say, an Explorer 2. You're also skirting around the fact that without MQA, there wouldn't have been any resampling at all.

Dude, I'm not skirting around anything. I just offered information that wasn't available previously and you're jumping all over me because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

Consumers never have a choice of encoding filter of the recording. That's the engineer's choice.  

On some DACs you'll be able to select filters. And the manufacturer won't have to use the MQA filter.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, mansr said:

If we buy the studio master, no encoding is performed and thus no filter needs to be chosen. MQA adds a pointless downsample/upsample step, and we have little or no (depending on the DAC, per your revelation) say in the filters used here. When we have the original master, there is rarely any reason for us to downsample it at all. If we do choose to resample before the DAC, we have complete control over the process. I don't see why you feel the need to dismiss this as a "narrative."

I don't dismiss what you say. Your anti-mqa narrative would never allow you to say there are filtering options. 

People believe less of what they read from extremests versus people who can talk about both sides of issues. 

39 minutes ago, rickca said:

I posted this in another thread, but I think it belongs here.  @PeterSt please comment, thanks.

Can't the filter be customized by the DAC manufacturer implementing MQA?  For example, Berkeley plans to offer MQA on the Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 in 2Q2017.  It will be an MQA renderer.  I can't believe Berkeley is going to use some awful filter on their $19,500 DAC just so they can tick the MQA box in their specs.

I know every implementation needs to approved by MQA.  I can imagine the DAC manufacturers just love that part. 

Bingo. 

48 minutes ago, Jud said:

I think it is far, far from a juggernaut, and yes, I think we can help to stop it by getting good, reliable information out to the press and the majority of prospective purchasers.  Everybody wants something that's better; no one wants to be duped.  I think many people tend to (at least I do) tune out something that comes across as shouting, as some sort of impassioned screed with an agenda.  Give me the facts (@mansr and @Miska's work on what the filtering actually does, and the non-necessity for the lossy compression) in a way that doesn't have to be technical (as @esldude does in his recent comment) and trust me to make a good decision.

Edit: Oh and yes, the DRM potential (please not in a way that tries to convince me the barbarians have already broken down the gates, but lets me know the trebuchets are designed and can be built in an instant if need be).

So much of this is in the delivery of the message. 

2 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

In which case, all I can do is assign it the same amount of credibility as I find myself having to assign to so much else about MQA. And the amount of salt I'm thus consuming is having a bad effect on my health...

Who you find credible is your decision. If you want to group me into the same category as others who you find lacking credibility, there's nothing I can do to help.

My sources of this information have proven to me to be very credible over the years. I believe them. 

Here's the latest press release.

Embargoed until 4 pm GMT/11 am EST

NUGS.NET OFFERS LIVE CONCERTS IN MQA
Music Fans Step Closer to the Original Performance

New York / London, 24 May 2017 – Nugs.net, the official home of live music for some of the largest touring artists in the world, is adopting MQA’s award-winning technology, to bring fans exclusive live concert recordings in master quality sound.  Initially, concerts from GRAMMY Award-winning, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees, Metallica and Bruce Springsteen, are available to download in MQA.  Other iconic acts, including Pearl Jam, Phish and Red Hot Chili Peppers, to name just a few, will follow, and later this year, nugs.net subscribers will have the option to stream concert recordings in MQA.

MQA’s technology delivers master quality audio in a file that is small enough to stream or download, and adoption of the technology across music services, record labels and playback partners continues to gain momentum.  Nugs.netusers can download the MQA file and it will play back on any device.

Nugs.net’s service offers different tiers of downloads – MP3, Lossless, DSD, and HD-Audio – as well as a physical CD format.  MQA appears as an additional option for HD-Audio downloads, alongside existing 24 bit FLAC and ALAC formats.

“Our pursuit of the highest fidelity in our listeners’ playback experience led us to MQA,” explained nugs.net founder and CEO Brad Serling.  “We were intrigued when we first read about MQA and were thrilled with the results when the MQA folks first encoded some of our live recordings.”

Mike Jbara, MQA CEO, said, “Nugs.net connects with true music fans like nobody else.  Live recordings amplify MQA's mission perfectly and we are very grateful for this exciting partnership.  Watch this space!”

Metallica recently kicked off the North American leg of their WorldWired tour in Baltimore, and will be continuing to tour across the US and Canada throughout the summer.  Each night’s performance will be released on LiveMetallica.com, the service nugs.net has run for Metallica since 2004.  Additionally, recordings of every night Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band performed on the River Tour from 2016 and 2017 are available now for download in MQA at Live.BruceSpringsteen.net, alongside several releases from Springsteen’s legendary archives.  This week Bruce released the 33-song epic tour finale from Helsinki in 2012, available now in MQA.

-Ends-

About nugs.net:
Founded in 1997 as a fan site for downloading live music, nugs.net has evolved into the leading source for official live music from some of the largest touring artists in the world.  Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Phish, Red Hot Chili Peppers and many other artists distribute recordings of every concert they play through nugs.net.  Nugs.net’s platform includes downloads, CDs, webcasts, and subscription streaming services, delivering exclusive live content to millions of fans on a daily basis.  Additionally, nugs.net founder Brad Serling hosts a weekly radio show on SiriusXM Jam On featuring the week in live music, cherry picked from the nugs.net catalog.  The “nugs.netLive Stash” airs on MTV Live showcasing concert footage from previous nugs.tv broadcasts.

MQA Press Contacts
[email protected]
[email protected]

Press Site for MQA
URL: www.mqa.co.uk/press

12 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Do you have some measurements to post supporting improved SQ?

There's no such thing in either direction when it comes to MQA. We've all seen measurements but nobody has seen evidence that any of these measurements actually matter (good or bad). 

I'd love to see a correlation between measurements and what we hear. 

3 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Yes, and that's kind of the point.  It's simply a situation where some listeners have found MQA processed files to be subjectively more pleasing than the unprocessed, some take the opposite position.  I also read recently a review of what was claimed to be a undecoded MQA processed file that had somehow been de-blurred without the unfolding. That person also said that this deblurred MQA lossy unfolded file sounded better too?

I know you've read a few reports that the de-blurring process can be accomplished separately from the folding.

What's all this mean?  Not a dang thing. MQA's only supportable quality is that it can compress and de-compress a file for a bandwidth savings that is unnecessary.

The whole ball of wax is nuts!

Perception is reality. If it sounds worse to people, then it's worse. If it measures worse, but sounds better, then those who look at music will be mad while those who listen will be happy. 

Just now, crenca said:

Yep, fewer and fewer people are experiencing a Steinway.  Nevertheless, a Steinway is real and our common humanity is real.  IF we could get "everybody" an appropriate amount of Steinway experience, a strong consensus would develop about which recording is more "accurate", and more importantly this consensus would be real and not merely "subjective" in a radical way...

But when we move the Steinway to a different hall, all bets are off. The environment is the biggest instrument.

Was it a Steinway Model A, Model B, Model O, Grand or Upright, etc...?

:~)

4 hours ago, crenca said:

Nope, it does much more than that.  The experience is not nearly so relative/subjective as you making it out to be.  Besides, experience of music is never (or should not be) this monotonous.  I have experience of acustic intstruments in many different settings, room conditions, etc.  From this, I am able to identify Fidelity to a reasonable degree - I can hear through any given playback chain an level of "accuracy" of a trumpet or violin and this accuracy is transferable - others can confirm it.  Your simply denying it with a radical subjectivist take on fidelity.  

Absolutely not. 

Sure you can identify a trumpet, but that has little relation to accuracy. I can identify my wife's voice sampled at 8 bit / 32 kHz, but that don't mean the recording is accurate. 

Ask a violinist if violins sound different. The answer will be yes. If you don't know the exact violin in use, you have no way of judging accuracy. 

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

The second link bolsters my point that violins sound different and violinists identify these differences. 

"The final results showed that one modern instrument garnered a total of 26 points, being the top choice for four players, second choice for another four, and rejected by two. Conversely, a Stradivari ended up with a score of -9. Its closest rival was a modern instrument, which had a score of -7."

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, but why can't professional players, even when playing the instruments themselves (first link), match the pattern of a Strad?  They've surely heard the sound over and over again for years.

(There is an answer to this.)

Good question. Perhaps, if the Strad is the gold standard and people build to match the gold standard, they've done a great job of matching that gold standard. 

12 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Ha, that's getting to be quite the meaningless buzzword in this thread  :)

I would suggest 'memory and comparison' for that question.

I highly recommend you do the research on pattern recognition versus memory (with respect to sound) rather than make yourself look uneducated. 

7 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

The Vaporware Trails May update

Let’s start with some speculation or as Newt Becker would say an informed estimate. Jeff Toig was fired partly because MQA was not bringing in enough new subscribers to cover the costs of streaming MQA. TIDAL starts streaming MQA and the CEO is gone in less than three months. I’m hearing whispers and rumors that the million mark for paid TIDAL subscribers may be inflated. I don’t have the contacts in the hip hop and go go world in the Valley of the Sun I had in Washington, DC to readily confirm this but I’m working on it.

Adding MQA versions of concerts this month covered the culling of duplicates in the MQA list so I’m estimating there are still fewer than 2,800 albums and concerts converted to MQA.

There still isn’t any mainstream music to download in the United States.

I’m still looking for interest in recording using MQA without success but I keep looking.

On the music business side Spotify has signed an agreement with Universal to reduce royalty payments, Warner is expected to complete its agreement in June and Sony has yet to start similar negotiations. These agreements are far more important to streaming companies reducing their losses than any subscriber gains from new formats.  If you wondered why the MQA Sony licensing agreement didn’t receive any fanfare, Sony has history of dragging its feet. They have signed a license agreement to protect them but probably have no plans to convert any of their catalogs anytime soon.

The month of May for MQA can be summed up with press releases to keep audio journalists thinking there is progress but missing that all the new product partners hadn’t been certified as of the press release date. And there are some new licensing agreements without anything actually being done to convert enough music to MQA to matter.

Finally rest in peace Gregg Allman you will be missed.

You are right, your sources aren't what they used to be. You're off by quite a bit. 

59 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

If you wondered why the MQA Sony licensing agreement didn’t receive any fanfare, Sony has history of dragging its feet. They have signed a license agreement to protect them but probably have no plans to convert any of their catalogs anytime soon.

You should research when Sony actually signed the deal with MQA. You may change your story.