IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

"The whole argument about loosing access to your music is, I think, more than a it of a straw man argument. If MQA were to go away, then their code would be reversed engineered almost overnight. If they try to lock down the music, bypasses around the DRM / Copy Protection will be available in very little time as well. We certainly have DIVX encoders today, and that was Circuit City pulling almost the same thing as MQA. "

The majors would still have a vested interest in it.  Do you think they would want to sell you their catalog all over again?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

33 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

I appreciate the cogent and measured response, Chris. The continued evolution of your approach to the ultimate hot-button topic in audio makes sense to me and and reflects both open-mindedness and principle.

We have, I think, explored thoroughly the issue that matters to me, namely the way that audiophiles speak to one another in the public space. No matter how many times I say so, a small core of Vaporware posters can't get their heads around the idea that MQA really isn't of great importance to me—though I have learned a good deal here, even from the forum participants who detest me and my kind. I had, indeed, read Jud's post and found to be a concise, understandable, and reasonable summation of what's wrong with MQA. And I think that Lee S (anyone who thinks he has a "thin skin" is not a very good observer; "glutton for punishment" is more like it) has kept front and center the positions of MQA, Inc. In both cases, all the arguments on both sides were quite familiar—these are two entrenched constituencies. If Lee "regurgitates"—well, so do the Vaporware warriors when they get going on MQA-as-a-lossy-format or a MQA-is -DRM. That's not to say that they're not right and Lee is wrong—just that the positions they represent ossified about 400 pages ago on this epic thread, and I do wonder if Rt66indierock will see fit to shut it down before too much longer. There's so much more to talk about.

Paul's perspective was really very helpful, enlivening this forum in a positive way for the first time in a while—probably since the time that Archimago was most active here.  I've also noted that at least a few AS members have surfaced who are interested in talking to each other rather than at each other.

I look forward to saying hello to any and all of my AS friends and detractors at AXPONA, where I'll be covering lower-priced loudspeakers for my magazine. I'll be the guy with the armed guard. Armed Old Guard, that is...

Andrew Quint

Look!  There's Bigfoot!

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

2 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Not really.  You have compact files sizes as well which is important to streaming services.  Also, the MQA deblurring filters are not apodizing filters as I originally thought.  They are a different filter it turns out.

The reason I prefer the MQA filters is that it sounds more like live classical and jazz acoustic music which I record.

MQA is not the same as someone adding EQ.  It's correcting for problems in the conversion and that gets the final result closer to the live event that was recorded.

So you wind up with a few benefits:  

1.  Hirez files with no losses in the audible range

2.  Compact file size and business model advantages via a premium tier

3.  Sound improvements via the deblurring filters.

In your opinion.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

4 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

No.  That would be difficult to get evidence for since it is a change in behavior in the future.  But the label people I have spoken to recognize that paying the artists more is required for the system to be healthy.

Thank God I left my hip boots on!

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

6 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Not only has that always been the case via the site's rules, but I'm at a loss to identify this supposed preponderance of attacks and the like. Who was called ignorant and when?

I must have missed something.

I believe he is referring to the person that posted this:

"Your actions certainly suggest you and a few others here definitely have an agenda.  I wish you well, but doing bad things like you are doing will inevitably lead to unpleasant consequences.  That isn't a threat by the way, just a prediction. 

Have a nice life. "

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

While it is not on the scale of evil empires, MQA proposes to place a substantial burden on the music consumer.

So I think, perhaps not on a grand scale, but the following applies, nevertheless:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook