IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The MQA solution has finally found its problem to address. Oh wait, just kidding. 

Ha good call.

I'm now way more scared of future contracts (new and renewed) battles than I am of MQA.

The labels and streaming services can digitally manage rights to access large chunks of music. This has always been the case in the background of course (in the T's and C's)... but these two notable headlining examples I've shared from this week bring it to the fore. Yikes.

That's another topic though.

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It could happen. The labels own the content. If they want us to have MQA, we’ll have MQA. 

Sure we know that, but the way he says it with such certainty:  "it will end up being MQA..."... given his studios and record labels contacts (discussed earlier in the podcast)...

Then again, @Rt66indierock is still hatching a master plan to galvanise the youth on buying HiRes.

Will be interesting to see where this all is, 3 years from now.

Disclaimer: I would love MQA to go away..

4 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

I don't think @crenca will allow Roon to get away with any bias toward MQA when both Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions are enabled.  Roon has already admitted to a problem that they are working on to resolve that favors MQA in some instances where there is no reason to consider that format to be superior in quality.

I shared a public quote by Roon's COO about MQA:

"if MQA dominates the world of hi-res, then the fear is spot-on. A world in which all content higher resolution than 44.1/16 is encoded in MQA is bad for the future of audio. No company should have power like that."

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/mqa-and-digital-rights-management/63220/3

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

And there isn't a market for streaming CD quality either.  

Disclaimer: I would love MQA to go away.

I believe from reports (might not be accurate) there are ~ 3million Tidal subscribers and ~10 million Deezer subcribers.

Out of 13 million there, would it be outrageous to guess 5 million may be paying for CD quality streaming?

Not suggesting 5 million would move across to Spotify, but if Spotify could get 5 million of their 100 million subscribers to pay double for CD quality (or better), it wouldn't interest them financially?

Is that what you're saying?

Note: Spotify were testing CD quality streaming less than 24 months ago....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15168340/lossless-audio-music-compression-test-spotify-hi-fi-tidal

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

From reports, the actual number of subscribers paying for the CD quality streams is nowhere near that, and is a tiny percentage of overall subscribers. 

Cool. Would love to see these numbers. Does @Rt66indierock know?

Not guesses (like I've done) but actual figure of total Tidal + Deezer users paying for CD quality (of total ~13 million Tidal + Deezer users)

16 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Yes it would be outrageous to guess 5 million are paying for CD quality streaming. Deezer's revenue is near $400 million dollars for 2018 with 7 million paid subscribers. Those numbers would indicate there are very few people paying for CD quality.

I got a Universal Royalty statement of Tidal's for 2017. The CD quality tier subscriber number was less than 200,000. And you have overstated Tidal's subscriber numbers based on their last financial statements.

Spotify has done enough market testing to know their subscriber base will not pay more for CD or higher quality. 

What I'm saying is nobody cares. If I'm wrong Marc Finer of the DEG among others would throw subscriber in numbers in my face. They haven't.

All noted. You speak with the same certainty as Rob Darling in the podcast.

We shall see which of you is correct and which has it all wrong...

Disclaimer: I hope MQA goes away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:22 AM, Rt66indierock said:

On January 6, 2017 I said when MQA reached 10,000 albums it would no longer be vaporware.

In a telephone call recently, Mike Jbara CEO of MQA Ltd told me around 1.1 million tracks had been processed. This is well over 10,000 since the rule of thumb is to divide tracks by ten or twelve to get the number of albums. Interestingly many have not made their way to the distribution channels.

I’m going to update the original post topics then it is time to move on to the next phase, MQA is not commercially viable.  

Have you changed your criteria for vaporware?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

have the tech people on this thread collaborate on an MQA dossier, and it will be linked far and wide...

Wasn't that done long ago? Posted to the front page of this forum? And linked far and wide already...

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

However, from the article:

"It’s understood that Amazon has not partnered with MQA for its own HD tier."

Whoops, missed that line reading on my phone.

Positive move for the streaming world if this is true. Will be interesting to see what the Big Two (Spotify and Apple Music) do... their subscriber numbers continue to climb at a healthy rate with current sound quality options, so I'm not sure what rush they would be in.

Amazon and Google are probably looking for a big jolt in subscriber numbers though, to catch the Big Two.

27 minutes ago, firedog said:

Too bad the article didn't mention Qobuz. Not a good outcome for them - they don't even rate a mention.

Probably because they fall in 'others' along with numerous others. Tidal probably only gets a mention in the article because of the Jay-Z/Beyonce/popular artists connection but also falls in the same 'others' category.

There are some that believe we'll be left with just 4 in the end... Spotify, Apple, Google, Amazon...

274627912_ScreenShot2019-04-26at3_14_25pm.png.e2dbea2a1219b912d1698fca9aaa7a6f.png

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

My read of TIDAL finally adding MQA to the iOS app is that MQA Co failed to convince Apple to license the tech from them.

I don't read anything into the Tidal iOS app getting the 1st unfold (before iOS?) apart from bringing it into line with their desktop app... which has also been on macOS of course.

Apple is interesting because they could actually control the end to end experience of high sound quality, if they want to, from source file to headphones (the latter is getting a big push going forward..)

5 minutes ago, miguelito said:

The fact that it got such much later than the corresponding Android version is why I inferred this.

Noted but it's often noted by devs that iOS apps take longer for app store approval than Google Play Store...

Maybe Apple took some extra time approving to learn about what MQA is and maybe look at the increased power consumption needs (important for mobile devices) of the 1st unfold..

I doubt they'll be interested in licensing MQA but stranger things have happened.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:06 AM, Rt66indierock said:

the test marketing Spotify did showing nobody cared.

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

I don’t think Apple has any interest in audiophile sound quality. Just good enough sound quality.

Things change if Amazon is the 1st of The Big 4 (Spotify, Apple, Google, Amazon) to offer something CD quality or better, as per rumours circulating this past week... 

If Amazon proceeds, I expect the others to follow...

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If high resolution is offered by anyone it won’t be due to consumer demand. Just like 8K TVs. 

Yup which is why I think after Amazon make the 1st move, Spotify, Apple and Google may also...

And for those that said Amazon is a small player at the moment (true for the moment), here is another key reason (in addition to the fact Amazon have deep pockets) that Spotify and Apple will be watching if Amazon do launch something CD quality or better...

So whatever market study/testing Spotify or Apple did in the past regarding lossless, may become irrelevant if Amazon make the 1st move, per recent reports...

The good news for some is Amazon aren't interested in MQA (according to the report circulating the past week). 

509188770_ScreenShot2019-05-03at9_14_08pm.png.df685186ca0fca544067c6d12fa62710.png