IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Yes, here is my review-

MQA is 100% worth every single cent I paid for it and then some, bargain of the cemtury :)

MQA with Tidal desktop top app software decoding is the Shiny Object of the Week. Of those 190 or so MQA albums on Tidal, perhaps 50% are recorded/produced in a way that could be considered "audiophile" quality. But no one would pay $20 more per month for what's currently there (maybe you would?). And some of those titles are quite harsh by any standard. I lasted about 5 seconds on that Fitz and the Tantrums album. No amount of MQA magic can rescue that amount of peak limiting.

190 albums is at best an introduction to the format. Yes, I like the sound of some of the titles. But the lack of a price increase for this introductory MQA rollout does not justify this level of sycophancy IMHO.

MQA is Da Bomb! I just listened to Empire State of Mind in MQA through the Tidal desktop app (software decoding) and the initial bass lines that open the song damn near reached out of my desktop speakers and slapped me! :)

Whoever says this is vaporware needs to check this out.

Whoever thinks desktop speakers are a reliable way to judge sound quality is delusional.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

it's the DRM issue that people are worried about

While DRM is worrisome, I am ore concerned that MQA adds alias artifacts to the file which are not present in the music. One might like the sound of these additional artifacts, but they are artifacts and will obscure musical details.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Introducing is hook marketing word. If there is no additional cost then Tidal is absorbing the costs associated MQA or MQA is not getting any royalties. You tell me which one is happening. MQA can license hardware and software collect royalties on unit sales. And they can license content providers and collect royalties. Can you see any other ways to bring in revenue?

As it is DRM, perhaps content providers are paying something for it.

SONORE computer audio

MQA with Tidal desktop top app software decoding is the Shiny Object of the Week. Of those 190 or so MQA albums on Tidal, perhaps 50% are recorded/produced in a way that could be considered "audiophile" quality. But no one would pay $20 more per month for what's currently there (maybe you would?). And some of those titles are quite harsh by any standard. I lasted about 5 seconds on that Fitz and the Tantrums album. No amount of MQA magic can rescue that amount of peak limiting.

190 albums is at best an introduction to the format. Yes, I like the sound of some of the titles. But the lack of a price increase for this introductory MQA rollout does not justify this level of sycophancy IMHO.

Different strokes I guess, check out Private Dancer in MQA or The Doors and see what you think

Whoever thinks desktop speakers are a reliable way to judge sound quality is delusional.

JBL rules, more than half of what you listen to was mastered on JBL speakers and these Studio 230's use trickle down tech from their best studio monitors the M2. Wait until this week-end when I can audition it in Auro 3D in the big rig :)

Desltop 1.jpg

Different strokes I guess, check out Private Dancer in MQA or The Doors and see what you think

I have several HDTracks hirez Doors titles. The MQA equivalent versions are not an improvement to me, but I can't say it was significantly worse.

This is what I tested on:

Mac Mini 7,1 (El Cap) -> Uptone Regen -> Schiit Gumby -> Schiit Lyr 2 (LISST) -> HD600 cans

I started a thread over in the DAC section about Meridian Explorer 2 reliability. Before I completely pass judgment on MQA, I'm thinking I should give hardware decoding a listen. But there seems to be many people who are having various problems with that DAC.

A proper listening test for MQA would A/B a single track where the track is the same source for both versions (same master, same original sample rate). Make sure it is a track which demonstrates lots of low level details (hall ambience will be especially effective, also soundstage depth) as these are what will be lost in the artifacts created in MQA. Also, listen really closely for differences in timbre, especially on bowed strings and brass instruments. Do a level test first as well with an SPL meter, any sound pressure differences will invalidate any results.

I am well aware of the historic significance of JBL loudspeakers, indeed, many of my musician friends still own the JBL 3-way studio monitors and I have heard them quite often. A near filed listening environment is unsuitable for testing things like ambience retrieval and soundstage depth. I have also heard JBLs, high end horn speakers, while they do offer excellent dynamics, they are very weak in portraying instrumental timbre accurately. You are aware that the company which makes JBLs (Harmon Group) also makes a line of higher performance speakers under the Revel name, right?

SONORE computer audio

A proper listening test for MQA would A/B a single track where the track is the same source for both versions (same master, same original sample rate). Make sure it is a track which demonstrates lots of low level details (hall ambience will be especially effective, also soundstage depth) as these are what will be lost in the artifacts created in MQA. Also, listen really closely for differences in timbre, especially on bowed strings and brass instruments. Do a level test first as well with an SPL meter, any sound pressure differences will invalidate any results.

I am well aware of the historic significance of JBL loudspeakers, indeed, many of my musician friends still own the JBL 3-way studio monitors and I have heard them quite often. A near filed listening environment is unsuitable for testing things like ambience retrieval and soundstage depth. I have also heard JBLs, high end horn speakers, while they do offer excellent dynamics, they are very weak in portraying instrumental timbre accurately. You are aware that the company which makes JBLs (Harmon Group) also makes a line of higher performance speakers under the Revel name, right?

Yeah I know about revel but everytime I play my JBL's I can't seem to want to change anything, just happy with what I am hearing. If I do upgrade it will be the new JBL 4312E just announced at CES.

Barrow, check out my evaluation here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/mqa-friend-devil-sonic-evaluation-31182/

I get a strong "different mix/source" impression, and no, they do not stream level match (you have to manually do it)...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Yet others are saying 297 albums as of this morning. How can reports differ by a factor of 10?

Because there are 10x more tracks available in MQA quality via Tidal than are highlighted in the "Masters" section; i.e., they're only calling out about 10% of their total content via the interface, for some reason.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yeah I know about revel but everytime I play my JBL's I can't seem to want to change anything, just happy with what I am hearing. If I do upgrade it will be the new JBL 4312E just announced at CES.

Cool, that is all that matters!

SONORE computer audio

Cool, that is all that matters!

But I thought your signature tag line was "EVERYTHING MATTERS"? :)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)