IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

46 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Like the current measles outbreak?   There is really no shortage of topics to write about. 

Might as well give up Kal - MQA has entered the same non-rational realm as religion, anti-vaxxers, American Politics, Brexit, and climate change. Or perhaps more like Amway...

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Again, you're missing the point, which is that MQA gives writers something new to write about and get paid for.

I disagree with you. There is always something "new" to write about with the endless product churn, non stop hifi shows, price escalation, and heaven help us, cables. 

No, MQA does not fall into the paradigm you describe..there was special attention and interest paid to it.  Clearly Atkinson and his cabal thought it was their gift from the gods that would help create a frenzy, and more ad revenue would follow.

9 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Like the current measles outbreak?   There is really no shortage of topics to write about. 

Unless I misremember, you have written at least one article about MQA. Sure, you could have written about something else. But you didn't.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not criticising you personally. Indeed, I consider you one of the more sensible audio writers. Case in point, in your MQA coverage, you took the time to form your own opinion rather than simply regurgitating ad copy like so many others. It is those others the criticism here is aimed at, not you.

30 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I had a bagel for breakfast this morning.  Sure, I could have had a croissant but I didn't.  Is there an underlying meaning here?

I understand the desire to find a "smoking gun" that will link writings about MQA to an ill motive but I cannot see any such link.  There are many people who hold opinions I find baffling and/or infuriating but who hold them without any corrupt  relationship. 

For those in the audio press (NOT YOU) who are willing to uncritically parrot marketing material, MQA has effectively been free money. Of course they (AGAIN, NOT YOU) are going to love it. When people criticise the audio press as a whole, it is generally with the understanding that some individual writers are not personally guilty. If you feel the need to take personally any and all criticism of general trends in the press, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to help you.

9 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am not defending the audio press as a whole.

I am not defending what my Stereophile colleagues are writing.

I am defending their right to say it.

I do not accept the accusations of bias due to financial considerations based, as they are, on tenuous inferences.

I think that says it all and I will try to stay out of this issue going forward.

There certainly appears to be a bias.  This bias would seem irrational without any type of reason behind it.  Even if the perspective were solely opinion, it would seem likely that there would be some justification to improve the business, which would indirectly mean that the bias in the articles is partly about financial gains.

23 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I do not accept the accusations of bias due to financial considerations based, as they are, on tenuous inferences.

There probably simply isn't enough money in reviewing products for magazines to buy the writers, no matter how low their moral standards.

Access / buddy politics with "famous" HiFi types (that no one cares about or has heard of outside the microcosm), "rebates" on super expensive gear, OTOH...

Just now, mansr said:

I am not questioning their rights, only their motivations.

I'll buy pay-to-play for the editors (Fanfare Magazine, whom @ARQuint proudly works for is an example of that), but it doesn't necessarily trickle down.

Totally agree that MQA absolutely isn't a 1st amendement issue: to me, it's more a bunch of losers wanting belly-rubs from some non-entity than anything else.

18 hours ago, Paul R said:

Might as well give up Kal - MQA has entered the same non-rational realm as religion, anti-vaxxers, American Politics, Brexit, and climate change. Or perhaps more like Amway...

Maybe a lot like Amway. Consider Amway a streaming company and their competitors like Avon and Mary Kay other streaming companies.