IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Interesting articles on the role of metadata for streaming royalties: 

https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/31/royalties-from-streaming-music/

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/08/03/music-industry-royalty-black-box/

So let's make a bet how long it will take MQA and/or MQA shills to pick this up and spin MQA as a solution! I'd guess we'll read something no later than end of June 2019.

This is off-topic here, but I'm glad you shared it - it's a fascinating (and disturbing) issue, and I wasn't aware of it.

10 hours ago, firedog said:

I corrected him in the comments and will continue to do so. It really is scandalous that he continues to write this. It's exactly the type of thing that JA and the others at Stereophile seem to be oblivious to when  they seem not to understand why their publications and writings aren't held in the highest esteem here. 

Well done pero de fuego!😎

4 hours ago, ddetaey said:

Hi@mcgillroy

would you mind to make this a separate topic (without the MQA stuff)

I strongly believe that what is explained here have possible bigger impact on the music industry than MQA.

Dirk

@porkchop has created a topic "Metadata the biggest little problem plaguing the music industry" in the Music part of the forum.

Dirk

(sorry but I have not found a way to refer directly to this new topic)

11 minutes ago, mcgillroy said:

Thank you and I put it here because it might not be off topic at all.

The A in MQA stands for Authentication. “Provenance” in MQA speak. That’s all bull as we know but it you want to prevent the metadata issues described in the articles  a mechanism providing cryptographic attribution for the rights holders would come in handy.

I am not sure if the current implementation allows for unique identifiers to be buried in the lowest bit but if not it would be trivial to implement. Mansr or Archimago could probably answer if MQA already includes this. 

MQA allows including ID3 tags in the "authenticated" data. Does that answer the question?

35 minutes ago, mansr said:

MQA allows including ID3 tags in the "authenticated" data. Does that answer the question? 

What do you mean?  Aren't the tags at the beginning of the file? (And MQA is consistent with flac files with vorbis comments.)

mQa is dead!

On 5/28/2019 at 2:01 PM, LoryWiv said:

I have a few MQA encoded FLAC's at 24/48 in my collection, never really paid much attention to the MQA aspect, as they play fine via HQ Player and my non-MQA DAC.

Let me make a suggestion.  Transcode the files any way you desire but never lose your copy of the original file.  You never know what might happen to the others you have made and they will always be the best sounding.  You can never improve on the original.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Let me make a suggestion.  Transcode the files any way you desire but never lose your copy of the original file.  You never know what might happen to the others you have made and they will always be the best sounding.  You can never improve on the original.

Excellent suggestion and yes, I do just that. The transoding is always  just for broader compatibility  away from my main listening station but retaining the original is definitely best practice. Thank you,  Sal1950.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

On 5/22/2019 at 7:41 PM, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

This is sickening...I have never heard so much absolute excrement. 

History shows that when charlatans are just about out of options, they try to redefine established technical terms, distort reality, and with a straight face spew horse manure in a fashion that make palatable to the ignorant. 

Trump once again?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

He is paid the same regardless of what he says about MQA and that applies to other writers who have not been supportive of it.  I am not defending his words; I only defend my own, but you need to find a different motivation.  

Again, you're missing the point, which is that MQA gives writers something new to write about and get paid for.