IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

New video by Darko with Bob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mq_RDiROI

This is sickening...I have never heard so much absolute excrement. 

History shows that when charlatans are just about out of options, they try to redefine established technical terms, distort reality, and with a straight face spew horse manure in a fashion that make palatable to the ignorant. 

36 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

That’s a bit extreme... 

I’ve noticed in interviews, the more controversial the comment from Bob’s mouth, the quieter he gets. Almost like a whisper. Makes me chuckle every time. We can still hear you Bob.

I love how Darko cuts it quickly with Bob’s very last comment... “it’s good for everybody”

I wonder if they both burst out laughing right after.

"That’s a bit extreme... "

Nope, 

Other than that, good observations. 

6 minutes ago, Archimago said:

LOL.

Actually, I'd pay good money to see Bob and @mansr have at it! Now that could be one heck of a show :-).

Yeah, +1 to this. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, Currawong said:

The problem I've had with these MQA threads, given that I'm here to research the technical elements, is sifting through all the crap. When I was moderating Head-Fi, the same thing would happen in the "Sound Science" forum, or "un-Sound Science" forum as some people nicknamed it, as it was more about chest thumping on how high-res/cables/whatever is snake oil, and would quickly descend into suggestions that a person who thought otherwise was deluded. At least one person here (who posted very useful technical info at point) is someone I banned at one point for this kind of abuse. I really would like a good technical summary, but sifting through something close to a thousand pages across multiple threads for all the good info would take too long, and I can't find Chris' presentation any more online. 

Really, all this pissing on Bob (understandable as it may be) really doesn't help anything. How do you explain to someone who has no technical understanding why MQA is dubious?

It is possible to conduct business with integrity and honesty, without compromising principles.  It says much that you seem to consider normal business behaviour to be lying, and when caught, making up alternative bullshit to justify those lies. Worse still attempting to change standard science-based definitions of terms to mean something they don't to sell your product, i.e. Trying to re-define high-res as something that isn't high-res at all.

That means that they don't have a "point of view" rather than what could be described as a "post truth" goal, to sell The Audiophile's New Music. More fundamentally, their "point of view" doesn't negate the actual science and the reality. So asking Chris to kiss-and-make-up with them is of zero benefit. You're asking Chris, and everyone here to just forget everything they have done wrong, and are still doing wrong, and give them a chance to redeem themselves. Really? There is nothing MQA can say (other than admitting the truth) that is of any interest to him, or anyone, except those wanting to live in the lie.

Well, that's one man's opinion. Maybe two. :)  

Seriously,  you just went around three corners there. Piss on Bob, Explain the tech to me, and businesses can be run ethically but this one has not been and so piss on it.  You act like they did something personal to you. 

The only person I know of who has had a personal conflict with MQA is Chris, and that wasn't with Bob Stuart, it was with the business lackeys. (shrug). 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

New video by Darko with Bob:

More gibberish.

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

It's probably become a joke to MQA Ltd

I doubt it is a laughing matter to them.

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

Well, that's one man's opinion.

Hmmm... I think not.

15 minutes ago, Siltech817 said:

I doubt it is a laughing matter to them.

I was referring to this particular thread (MQA is Vaporware) very specifically...

The links I shared above would be much much less a laughing matter for MQA Ltd...

49 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Nothing personal at all. But this does come across as a "You're just being emotional" argument and doesn't address what I wrote at all. 

I would highly recommend the posting below. It is the best summary I know of, is written well, and is pretty much what anyone considering MQA needs to know. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

2 hours ago, Currawong said:

6. 96k limit. As per the image from a couple of pages back showing totally different HF content?

This image?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?do=findComment&comment=957196

I asked @FredericV some questions about this but never got a response...

How does "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look versus "MQA stereo original resolution" (first MQA unfold only).... ?

And even "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) vs DXD?

The reason I asked is because at my end, even "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) versus DXD doesn't like great on my end... and there's no MQA even involved...

On the other hand, "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look versus "MQA stereo original resolution" (first MQA unfold only) looks very similar...

Hoping he could check and confirm...

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

A 24/96 downsampled version obviously discards any content above 48 kHz that may be present in a higher-rate original. Below 48 kHz (minus a small transition band) it will match exactly if the downsampling is done properly. The MQA "first unfold" output has a 96 kHz sample rate, so the frequency content there is also limited to 48 kHz. There has to be some loss compared to the non-MQA version, but for most music it is probably insignificant. When MQA is "rendered," content above 48 kHz is simply invented with no relation to what was in the original file. That's where the huge discrepancy comes from.

Noted. But how does the "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look on the same graph? Same track

Especially compared to the DXD file of that track...

19 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Noted. But how does the "Stereo 24BIT/96kHz" (non-MQA) look on the same graph? Same track

Especially compared to the DXD file of that track...

It tracks the DXD file exactly until just below 48 kHz, unless they botched the downsampling.