IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, Thuaveta said:

For someone so intent on repeating how smart you are, you don't seem to be very good at listening.

So let's try this: they're not interested. The three main reasons they're not is that they're arrogant, they're crooks, and they're cowards, as should be evident to anyone with even a passing interest in the matter. There has been ample evidence of both the symptoms and the conclusion for years now, and they have had ample opportunity to fix things.

Ask yourself why they haven't reached out to @The Computer Audiophile to organise what you're proposing.

Yes, I understand you believe you are an expert on negotiation in the business world, and especially undersdtand the business logic at MQA. 

You have an interesting technique. Getting all emotional like that and slamming a door shut the way you want to with your rationalization always works.

You will get a "NO" every single time.

-Paul

If someone gives you a gift and you refuse to accept it, to whom does the gift belong?

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

44 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yep. Paul, did you read that Q&A? Bob pretended to be answering all the questions, but actually didn't and was misleading - as came out in the technical analysis thread. He's had his chance here and in other places. MQA people pretty obviously have a corporate policy of using misleading marketing speech wherever  and whenever they think they can get away with it. When they think they can't, they don't participate. Or, they disrupt, as the did to Chris' presentation. 

Yes, but every day is a new day in the wonderful world of MQA. Did they not just re-invent themselves again? :)

Honestly, I think it is an opportunity. But that is just my opinion. 

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Warner released a number of albums in the mid 90's on HDCD. I now see that a number of them are available on Onkyo Music in 16/44.1 MQA. What exactly would you suppose they did to those recordings before releasing them in MQA? My understanding of HDCD is that it is built into the ADC process?

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I also asked Bob to respond to Archimago's article here and he at first said he would provide such a response, then declined. 

Yes but I think they are under more pressure now, and might respond differently now. I mean, after all, they need a chance to disseminate their point of view, in a safe environment.

It would have to moderated very well. No attacks from either side. Can’t be an offline interview though, as they have to have skin in the game. 

Something that CA/AS has been noted for in the past, when talking about reviews and stories you published on controversial subjects. 

Robert A. Heinlein

32 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I would say that MQA Ltd has been under pressure since June of 2015 when Reinet made their investment.

What would be different now? Maybe the following in the United States. Deezer’s highest resolution is CD quality despite signing an agreement with MQA Ltd in 2018. Tidal’s Hi-Fi tier has maybe 100,000 subscribers in the US. And according to their press release announcing MQA on iPhones they have 165,000 MQA tracks, CD quality is over 40 million tracks. Nugs.net has MQA concerts and albums to stream and download but they one of seven or eight choices to buy. Onkyo Music has MQA downloads, but they use 7Digital to run their store. 7Digital may be out of business in July if they can’t raise more capital. If 7Digital goes out of business Napster can pick up some of the slack now that they support MQA as option but their parent company RealNetworks is projecting a loss this quarter on revenue only slightly higher than the first quarter.

I consider this very limited access to MQA music. Limited enough that there isn’t demand for MQA DACs and other music playback equipment. Hardware royalties are what the MQA Ltd. business model is based on.

I doubt anyone from MQA Ltd will show up here. Just before I introduced myself to Mike Jbara (CEO) he said within earshot we will never get the Computer Audiophile crowd. This was at the end of RMAF 18 and after Marc Finer of the Digital Entertainment Group told me Qobuz not using MQA tells you all you need to know.

Solid overview of the bleak situation for MQA. I will however, add that ProStudioMasters has gone all in with MQA. But i am sure that even among MQA devotees that purchasing MQA tracks is a non starter. 

1 hour ago, firedog said:

We've seen their behavior for years now: it's been consistent - consistently bad. Close to zero reason to think they will "change their spots" as it were. 

Well, all I can say is you are thinking of them like people, not like a business.  Most inimical companies can turn around and become partners in an incredibly short period of time. Look at Apple and Qualcomm.  

If you look at them as a business, their behavior becomes a bit more understandable. Still wrong, and still stupid, but understandable at least. 

Robert A. Heinlein

On 5/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, Rt66indierock said:

Good article

I think it is a very poor article.  For one thing it is about this privilege is everything bull crap.

Now I don't doubt the results.  Then again this would have seemed so self evident you feel like it was almost foolish to spend the effort studying it.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to confirm the obvious.  But is anyone surprised?   

News at 11, a scientific spectrum analysis of visible light indicates the sky is blue and grass is green as viewed by humans.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I think it is a very poor article.  For one thing it is about this privilege is everything bull crap.

Now I don't doubt the results.  Then again this would have seemed so self evident you feel like it was almost foolish to spend the effort studying it.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to confirm the obvious.  But is anyone surprised?   

News at 11, a scientific spectrum analysis of visible light indicates the sky is blue and grass is green as viewed by humans.  

Look confidence shown by Bob Stuart, John Atkinson and Robert Harley promoting MQA in late 2014 and early 2015.