IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Alex I generally don’t do it myself but I didn’t object when my friend Charley Hansen did. It takes a combination of approaches to break up an  availability cascade. Which is what the promotion of MQA is. 

This.  This is the what/how of MQA (and Audiophiledom in general) promotion machine, and this is what Bob S understood and leveraged.  The sheep went exactly where they were supposed to go.

Because of this certain "high end" manufactures are in a pickle and are  were being "asked" if they offered MQA, and some of them went down that road.  However, beyond the most short term perspective MQA does not make any sense, and so in the end @Ishmael Slapowitzis right in that companies are wise to look beyond the shortest term.  @vortecjr, Schiit, and others who said no thanks to MQA and any other unicorns are the better for it, better for customers, and better for "the hobby" that the sheep are so concerned about.  Why?

Because MQA begins and ends with DRM  and that ain't good for nobody (well, perhaps a narrow few)...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

3 hours ago, crenca said:

This.  This is the what/how of MQA (and Audiophiledom in general) promotion machine, and this is what Bob S understood and leveraged.  The sheep went exactly where they were supposed to go.

Because of this certain "high end" manufactures are in a pickle and are  were being "asked" if they offered MQA, and some of them went down that road.  However, beyond the most short term perspective MQA does not make any sense, and so in the end @Ishmael Slapowitzis right in that companies are wise to look beyond the shortest term.  @vortecjr, Schiit, and others who said no thanks to MQA and any other unicorns are the better for it, better for customers, and better for "the hobby" that the sheep are so concerned about.  Why?

Because MQA begins and ends with DRM  and that ain't good for nobody (well, perhaps a narrow few)...

I have zero issues with companies like PSA or Roon that add first unfold and stop there. That allows Tidal subscribers who are getting access to MQA files to hear them without getting into the wacky universe of proprietary MQA filtering and upsampling. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 minutes ago, firedog said:

I have zero issues with companies like PSA or Roon that add first unfold and stop there. That allows Tidal subscribers who are getting access to MQA files to hear them without getting into the wacky universe of proprietary MQA filtering and upsampling. 

They still have to sign NDA, spend the time and money, and who knows what else contractionaly/technically for this unicorn/DRMed format.  It's a short term gain at best, and we have good reason to suspect it is not really even that.  So yes, there are issues...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 hours ago, firedog said:

I have zero issues with companies like PSA or Roon that add first unfold and stop there.

As previously mentioned a few times, PSA sent a unit to MQA Ltd for them to do impulse response measurements (at the analogue output...) and the other crap that they do. So in the case of PSA with their network card, it’s more than the 1st unfold (more than Core/software decoder).. it does MQA unfolding (leaky upsampling) up to 192kHz with MQA content... 192kHz is the max supported sample rate of the ConversDigital network card that they use...

Of course we don’t need to repeat how crap MQA is - and anyone can read Paul’s own words that I shared above about how MQA performance is worse than Ted Smith’s DSP (according to PSA)..

But this should also make it obvious by now, why non-MQA content is not affected by MQA filtering with their DirectStream DAC...

On 5/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, Rt66indierock said:

There was pressure in 2017 to have MQA. Then people found out how much money Bob Stuart lost at Meridian. And we all could listen to enough MQA files to see that it wasn’t any different than any other format, some good, most no different and some worse. In 2018 we also got a better understanding of how MQA files were different.

Not ruled out in 2019, for PS Audio's next DAC (Ted Smith Signature - TSS) by the way, with the streamer - similar to DirectStream's FPGA not having any MQA code either, as previously explained... So I'm not sure your theory about 2017 MQA pressure has any relevance...  If it doesn't happen it will be for technical reasons associated with their new custom in-house streamer... with their previous streamer for the DS DAC, the ConversDigital board took care of it, as I previously explained...

2055093482_ScreenShot2019-05-13at12_00_24am.thumb.png.f5775b460f40dafc6a3d19b2538e2721.png

On 5/11/2019 at 4:54 AM, 4est said:

Screed? Bird of a feather? Quick buck? How pathetic it is that you are so caught up in your own battle that you cannot fathom someone taking a different tack despite agreeing that MQA has to go. Unlike Paul, I do not care for MQA, and might even take up the fight against it if given the opportunity. As it stands, individuals such as you just alienate the entire room with these churlish/childish remarks- all under a silly pseudonym even.

If you are actually looking to make a change, it might be better to not alienate potential allies whilst looking like a nut job to the masses.

LOL!  Hi Forrest - I didn't realize that [person] was still making noise around these parts. Best to just ignore his crazy raves. 

I am actually going back and forth a little - just a very little - about MQA. It occasionally sounds very good, but I do not think MQA is needed, wanted, or a good thing, given the potential for DRM embedded in it. 

I am glad to see that some people are encountering little or no interest in MQA at Munich.  I suspect however, that instead of spending money on technical advances and research, MQA will simply spend more money on PR. Its all grist in the mill. 

The facts about MQA, other than the purely technical ones, are not clear. Smoke and mirrors from all sides, and [people] like Slaphappy over there churning up even more muddy water with their teenaged angst... 

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

best not to call people jerks or make other personal attacks

Seriously?  That is good advice, but with people like that, giving them any break or respect just ends up with more and more personal attacks. 

It's crazy - and over a crazy subject too.  But in any case, you are correct. 

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

8 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Remember that Bose does not provide specs for it's consumer products?

Bob now does the same:

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6517

image.png.66e3c9318fd8f008b2bc4659baf5b998.png
Off course, providing specifications would mean that customers would discover:

- 17/88.2 or 17/96 actual max resolution
- with upsampling to fake indication value on DAC, so customers believe it's 24/whatever like 24/192 or 24/352.8
- frequency domain is horrible
- not the master, not the quality, not authentic

I know you've posted that graph many times before but can you kindly remind me what track (and album it's from) that is?