IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

31 minutes ago, mansr said:

Haven't you heard? Profits don't matter.

They might not matter to the people that could probably make a difference.  They are getting their share of the pie and leaving crumbs for the rest.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/12/07/spotify-2017-tax-income/

Yet, while the company struggles to actually turn its streaming platform into a profitable business, company executives continue to burn a ton of cash on lavish spending.  Earlier this year, ahead of their rumored May 2018 IPO launch, the company took out a 17-year, $566 million World Trade Center lease, with almost $31 million in upfront payments required.

2 hours ago, Tintinabulum said:

It really wasn't ironic, because Meridian can't make money doesn't mean an installer using their product can't. I don't get how that follows. ...

In theory, an installer can make money using their product. Just not very often, because few people choose Meridian products. That was Chris's point, and it is indeed quite ironic.

2 hours ago, Tintinabulum said:

we'll I must be wrong then...

Truer than you appear to realise.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

There must be some kind of way outta here
Said the joker to the thief
There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief

Business men, they drink my wine
Plowman dig my earth
None were level on the mind
Nobody up at his word
Hey, hey

No reason to get excited
The thief he kindly spoke
There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But, uh, but you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us stop talkin' falsely now
The hour's getting late, hey

29 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

because few people choose Meridian products

You've researched that? I suspect the margins on Meridian products are high and an installer would sell them because of that. Luxury Brand, sell to people who want the label and have the money. Just my suspicion though, I've not researched it, have you?

It just doesn't end. A new MQA sourced vinyl record is bing announced in Munich.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE For More Information Contact Anthony Chiarella (201) 690-9006 [email protected]

BRINKMANN SETS NEW WORLD RECORD AT MUNICH 2019

--Brinkmann’s “Special 33” Double LP Spins Today! --

Munich, Germany—May 9, 2019: Munich High End 2019 will witness the demonstration of Brinkmann’s first LP Record, “Special 33,” in the Brinkmann Audio suite, Atrium 4.1, E108 Dr Matthias Lück, co-owner of Brinkmann Audio and Associate Producer of this album, will explain the history and manufacture of this exceptional recording.

Special 33 features the music of Jazz trio Blicher Hemmer Gadd, three virtuoso performers featuring American drummer Steve Gadd, hailed as one of the greatest studio drummers of all time. Matthias and his wife, Daniela, heard this group in early 2017 and were immediately inspired to produce an album of their music under the Brinkmann label.

Special 33 is, first and foremost, about great music. All music is recorded live and captures the electrifying live energy from four late-night shows at some of Europe’s best jazz clubs. Of the 10 tracks included in this double album, four have never been pressed on vinyl and one, mixed especially for this album, has never been released.

The extraordinary sound quality of Special 33 was achieved by remastering using MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) technology, then converting to analog using a Brinkmann Nyquist Mk II Streaming DAC directly driving the cutting machine. Remastering took place at Railroad Tracks Studios, Germany (www.railroad-tracks.de) which worked for EMI exclusively until 2013. Michael Blicher and Matthias Lück supervised the entire process to achieve the uncompromising sonics they demanded.

Cut using DMM (Direct Metal Mastering) with ORIGINAL Neumann VMS 82 Cutting Lathe and SX 84 recorders, Special 33 was pressed at Nordsø Records (nordsorecords.com), a Danish boutique pressing plant, using semi-automatic Newbilt pressing machines (newbilt-machinery.com). German vinyl was chosen for its superior sonic properties while Helmut specified 140gr as the ideal disc weight. Quality of the test pressing has been verified on a Balance turntable driving a full Brinkmann System, with a Bardo/10.0 used for quality control. Matthias will guide Munich High End visitors through the entire mastering, production and pressing process, which should prove fascinating to anyone who loves vinyl records

Published as a Limited Edition of 500 copies—33 of which were signed and numbered by Steve Gadd and the band for inclusion with our 33-1/3 Anniversary Balance—the entire production was sold-out to dealers and distributors in advance of release.

About Brinkmann Audio: Founded in 1985 by Helmut Brinkmann, Brinkmann Audio is one of the few companies to design and manufacture every source and electronic component in the audio playback chain. All Brinkmann Audio components are handcrafted in Germany from German-made parts and subassemblies. For more information, please contact Anthony Chiarella, Director, US Sales and Marketing [email protected]

About Blicher Hemmer Gadd: The legendary American drummer Steve Gadd has formed a band together with award-winning Danish saxophonist Michael Blicher and the amazing Hammond organ wizard, Dan Hemmer. Steve Gadd has played with the all the greatest superstars for more than 50 years. Michael Blicher who recently won 2 Danish Grammys composes most of the music for the band and his music is inspired by travels throughout the world. Dan Hemmer and the sound of his Hammond organ bind everything together. For more information visit blicherhemmergadd.com

About MQA: Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company. For more information visit www.mqa.co.uk

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

35 minutes ago, FredericV said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording#Dynamic_range

The dynamic range of a direct-cut vinyl record may surpass 70 dB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording#Frequency_response

The high frequency response of vinyl depends on the cartridge. CD4 records contained frequencies up to 50 kHz. Frequencies of up to 122 kHz have been experimentally cut on LP records.

-> and this has been mastered with a max of 17/96 of actual resolution due to how MQA works, so which means it can capture up to 48 Khz of analog signals, while vinyl can do 2.5x that bandwidth

So what's the point in have the BM gear in between?  Why not go directly to vinyl, all analog? There's no point in having AD+MQA+DA to correct issues with would not be there when skipping AD+processing+DA except for some fancy press release

Fancy press releases seem to be what MQA Ltd is good at.

7 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Fancy press releases seem to be what MQA Ltd is good at.

Yet, despite all the hate leveled here at them, they seem to be thriving as the darlings of the audio world. Could be their stuff just sounds good to people, for whatever reason. It certainly seems to amaze people, at lest when they first hear it. Not sure that MQA will just go away now. Just have to wait and see I suppose. 

MQA is out there making converts every day. I don't think many people are listening to this thread any longer. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein