IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 4/25/2019 at 11:15 PM, Em2016 said:

Probably because they fall in 'others' along with numerous others. Tidal probably only gets a mention in the article because of the Jay-Z/Beyonce/popular artists connection but also falls in the same 'others' category.

There are some that believe we'll be left with just 4 in the end... Spotify, Apple, Google, Amazon...

274627912_ScreenShot2019-04-26at3_14_25pm.png.e2dbea2a1219b912d1698fca9aaa7a6f.png

Is this a recent chart?  Apple Music supposedly passed Spotify in # of subscribers a couple weeks ago.  The stories are all over the place, like this one. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/04/05/apple-music-now-reportedly-bigger-than-spotify-us/3375960002/

IN any event, Spotify is nowhere near 2x the size of Apple Music, if it is larger at all, it is only going to be by a relatively small number of subscribers. 

-Paul 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

2 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

f it were that excellent, don't you think it'd hold its value on the used market, and those speakers that are so expensive wouldn't go for £500 ?

Well as it happens they are excellent, really. It's really rather simplistic to assume that because something is good, it will hold value. Life's just not that simple. People don't know about these speakers, the masses wouldn't know what a digital active is. Life's a bit more subtle...

25 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Well as it happens they are excellent, really. It's really rather simplistic to assume that because something is good, it will hold value. Life's just not that simple. People don't know about these speakers, the masses wouldn't know what a digital active is. Life's a bit more subtle...

You're not marketing to the masses, you're marketing to the (small) subset of educated customers who're smart enough to buy 2nd hand. Given that you've said elsewhere they don't sell because they're too expensive when new, there should be limited supply, and high demand. The very low prices indicate there clearly isn't, so maybe there's another problem. Where I do agree with you is that at equivalent pricepoints, they're better value than a homepod.

28 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Indeed, what has music reproduction got to do with the discussions here? We should be talking about how MQA threatens the future of humanity right?

Your argument was essentially Meridian = HiFi, therefore MQA = HiFi. I gave you an example that shows that argument is (as are lots of things as far as MQA are concerned), bullshit. I understand that you don't like that.

3 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

Your argument was essentially Meridian = HiFi, therefore MQA = HiFi. I gave you an example that shows that argument is (as are lots of things as far as MQA are concerned), bullshit. I understand that you don't like that.

Don't think I'm arguing actually. MQA bullshit or not didn't come into it. Just a few observations about using the English language and reminding people that when you've got over the hatefest, Meridian make some pretty good gear. Last's as well, how many have got fully working active systems 29 years on? You would be surprised how good these sound, just saying. I know this topic is about hating MQA and anything that happens to be standing near it at the time but CA site is mostly about music reproduction, not bile (or used to be).

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You’re trying to turn this into a site-wide MQA hate-fest.

What a ridiculous thing to say!

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You don’t control the facts

Facts aren't controlled, they exist?

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If you believe MQA is something other than what has been revealed here please let us know

You're confusing me with someone discussing MQA. We all know better than that, you get drowned in bile.

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

it’s Meridians’s game to lose

I'm not sure they've lost already, still making good equipment, I think the installers like them, it's not PR they're after there.

2 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

I'm not sure they've lost already

I and most in the industry are quite sure.

For the last decade, possibly longer, everyone has been amazed that Meridian is still in business. I wish the company success because I like what it does but I can’t change the facts about it’s terrible financial performance. I won’t get into the company’s personnel decisions. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I received a PM from another member of the community about ownership of Meridian and MQA. I admit to not being an expert in this area, but found the Wikipedia entry for Meridian interesting. 

"In 2007 just under 50% of the company's shareholding was sold to the Muse Group, a consortium of the Swiss-based luxury goods group Richemont and U.S. film company New Regency. Muse is now a majority shareholder and is 100 percent owned by Reinet Investments, a sister company of Richemont.[4][5] Robert Haefling departed soon after and was replaced by Tim Ireland, the previous COO of Mission Loudspeakers. Following the acquisition, and perhaps under the influence of Muse and Richemont, Meridian began to reposition itself as more of a luxury goods manufacturer and opened a series of flagship stores. Performance suffered and almost 20% of the company's workforce was laid off in late 2008. The decade since has seen many changes in the board of directors and business profitability has remained modest compared with the ambitions of the company when it was acquired by Muse. The majority of the company's revenue now comes not from hi-fi products but from the contract to supply Jaguar Land Rover with audio systems for its vehicles (these systems are actually manufactured in China by a contract partner rather than by Meridian in the UK) and MQA – Bob Stuart's audio file compression technology."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png