IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, lucretius said:

When I send a PCM 24/96 file to my DAC and then stop play, the DAC still reads 24/94.  However, when I send an MQA 192 file to my DAC, during play the DAC reads 24/192 but as soon as I stop play, the DAC reads 24/48.  This leads me to believe that there is no upsampling done within the hardware. (Although, I could be wrong.)

It's a 24/48 file that the hardware is instructed to upsample by MQA indicators inside the file. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I don't know -- you are probably right.

There certainly are limits for such items like the DragonFly and the power it has to upsample and supported sample rates, but for the most part I believe a DAC must just look at the selected filter and final sample rate specified in the file and use it. Such a convoluted way of doing things. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I disagree. On their website, Apple claims they stream billions of songs to their various devices per day. Warner is going to kiss that off and count on a niche company like Tidal to keep them afloat? In any event, Warner’s is currently worth around 15 Billion and Apple is worth around 1.3 Trillion. If Tim Cook wants the Warner’s catalog without MQA he could buy them with the money he keeps in his sock drawer. 

Never happen. 

spotify is Apple’s competition. Who would sign up for Apple Music without millions of good songs if Spotify offers everything for the same price?

Just because Apple has the cash, doesn’t mean it’s a good move to purchase something. Why not purchase ARM? It didn’t make sense even though Apple’s business depends on ARM. 

4 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

That’s not been their business model so far. They have very specific requirements for how music is to be provided to them. They’re a big enough customer they can stipulate the terms of the sale. Just like Walmart tells the farmers that provide them with produce what they’ll grow, how it will be packaged, how it will be delivered and what they can charge for it. Don’t like the terms? Sell somewhere else. 

https://www.apple.com/itunes/docs/apple-digital-masters.pdf

This is vastly different from farmers. 

Apple provides requirements to help the labels and itself. If Taylor Swift provides apple a 320 Kbps MP3, they're taking the 320 Kbps MP3 and converting it to AAC. Without Taylor Swift, millions of people are moving to Spotify. It's the same for the labels. Apple isn't the only game in town. Plus, the labels own a big chunk of Spotify. It's better for them if Apple has problems because people will switch. Nobody is going back to piracy. They'll switch to Spotify and call it a day.