IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

And since when are we comparing mostly faked HDTracks "Hires" with MQA which only very rarely is faked (except for that it's MQA of course) ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

3 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Any of us who had kids go through college on a debating team can easily recognize those kinds of tactics.  

Sadly.

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

And I just noticed this: https://www.prostudiomasters.com/?utm_source=prostudiomasters&utm_campaign=db2b15ffed-20190322-us_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3c6a0cab26-db2b15ffed-71939157&mc_cid=db2b15ffed&mc_eid=5e69fe14d3#x

Tracks 1-24 – contains material which has been processed by a perceptual audio coding algorithm

What the **** does that mean? It doesn't list MQA as a format.

I couldn't get to the link you posted, but there are MQA albums available there. 

image.thumb.png.bdf0f4472315ecef0ef3d7d11c340e86.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On 3/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, manisandher said:

@PeterSt, what are your thoughts on the sound of MQA?

Different. Always very different.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I brought up the MQA files there last week, I think. This isn't that. The album is 

and this is what is written in the "technical notes" for the 24/96 file

Tracks 1-24 – contains material which has been processed by a perceptual audio coding algorithm

Wow - that is concerning!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

13 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Regarding Brexit, there are always scare stories on the disastrous consequences of Brexit - there were predictions of severe economic impact that never happened. The BBC News website always presents the calamity predictions and even reports Brexit is to blame when decisions were made before Brexit was voted on.

The BBC News technical areas never report on Windows 10 telemetry, or other aspects of severe privacy infringement.

Some of the politicians and critics of the EU have always referred to the problem that the EU is not for the people, for which it has always stated its function, but favours corporations.

So, when MQA slowly makes inroads into the mainstream music market, the BBC will NOT be challenging the scam, but since it favours corporations, it will support it. It is sad that the BBC whose remit is to "Inform, Educate and Entertain" fails dismally on so many fronts for the common man.

The Hifi press should be reporting MQA for exactly what it is - but they won't.

We cannot rely upon any of the media outlets to report accurately and in support open systems which allow freedom. So, forums and the internet are the only places to challenge MQA.

Regards,

Shadders.

image.png.f56772c48e4516529c73cf18ceaa8996.png

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

4 hours ago, ddetaey said:

How can we be sure that we do not receive an 'mqa'-ed download when buying a regular flac (or aiff/wav) album?

Anybody in the house capable / interested to develop a small app(lication) for that?

Long time ago I was using 'flactest' utility to check ripped tracks. As mqa is wrapped in flac, this will not be the one, but it gives an idea what I am asking here.

Dirk

It shouldn’t be too time consuming to create such an app. MQA is usually all over the metadata of a track. Not sure about consistent signatures in the data for several sample rates etc... though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 hours ago, sandyk said:

John's efforts in this regard have resulted in tracks that I find sound markedly better than those of the same title from the RBCD layer of Carpenters Singles 1969-1981, and presumably the SACD layer either .

The improvements aren't subtle either.;)

Thank you so very much.  The effort has been a lot like tilting at windmills, but I have wanted to leave a legacy of some kind that helps people in some way.  I don't expect to fade into the sunset quite yet, and unlike SOME technical efforts, mine was not meant to profit per se.  It was meant to do what I (we -- the project team mates also) we can do to help.  We have a very small team of individuals who contribute in their areas of expertise. Without the various disciplines, the DHNRDS would not have any credibiility (it would just be a hobby project on github or sourceforge.)

Unable to divulge anything about anyone who is interested -- but historical (official) archives have shown interest, and those doing some re-releases have also shown interest.  The DHNRDS DOES result in improvement beyond what a true DolbyA device can do -- but it is NEVER good enough -- IT IS LIKE TORTURE, where I can never seem to make the decoder work good enough.

Maybe some day, it might be easier to find clean copies of the older music without needing to go to MFSL or some place like that.  Just getting a 96k/24 bit copy of a DolbyA master tape does NOT improve the listenable quality of the material.  Places like MFSL can spend the time to actually properly master and decode.  The DHNRDS decoder can support the beancounter controlled distributors enabling the 'good quality' with greater consumer availibity and lower distributor cost for the quality.

We all have tried SO VERY HARD on the project.

John 

6 hours ago, ddetaey said:

How can we be sure that we do not receive an 'mqa'-ed download when buying a regular flac (or aiff/wav) album?

Anybody in the house capable / interested to develop a small app(lication) for that?

Long time ago I was using 'flactest' utility to check ripped tracks. As mqa is wrapped in flac, this will not be the one, but it gives an idea what I am asking here.

Dirk

Mansr has a test utility that is free for use. But you will have to make sure to buy from a seller that easily allows you to void a sale and get a refund if you find what you bought isn't what you thought it was.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

25 minutes ago, ddetaey said:

Sorry for maybe a stupid question, but how do I get this to work under Windows 10? 

I have downloaded the mqa-master.zip file and unpacked it.  I don't see any executable however?

What am I overlooking?

There is only source code there. It can probably be compiled for Windows 10, but I haven't attempted it.

1 minute ago, firedog said:

It's also been established by Miska that a properly dithered 18/96 standard PCM file based on a 24/96 master is less lossy

Now that.

Less Lossy ?

You guys must have gone bananas.

XXHighEnd (developer)