IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Getting this back on topic we should get a list of questions to ask the MQA people at AXPONA in April. My first question would be to Ken Forsythe.  What are your qualifications? All I see is sales on your LinkedIn profile.

He did survive a trip down the Cahulawassee river!  That should be an interesting story.

All kidding aside.  The presentation, I imagine, will be tightly controlled.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

What exactly is the current status of MQA?  Are they still pushing quietly in the background?  Do they think that putting MQA in car audio systems will boost their chances?  Are the marketing people still flooding audio sites with positive "reviews".

The money behind MQA Limited have very deep pockets.  Do they still think that MQA implementation will result in an enormous cash cow?  In order to continue promoting MQA, they have to expect to reap enormous returns.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

Somewhere, there has to be a business plan that projects how much money will be raked from the music consumer. 

The entire cost of implementing MQA will ultimately be borne on the backs of the music consumer. 

It seems that every claim of benefit to the consumer has been refuted by close examination of the facts.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

44 minutes ago, WAM said:

Why ask? MQA LTD never answered any question, why should they do it now? Their strategy is to ignore questions they do not like. And to ridicule people who dare to ask. 

At some point a non answer becomes an admission we don't have anything. That point is visible now.

7 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

At some point a non answer becomes an admission we don't have anything. That point is visible now.

That point is obvious to us here,  the people that are closely examining MQA's claims.

That point is not getting through to the general population.  That population may not even care.  They see the "reviews" and the BS buzzwords and just repeat them.  Then you have audio review sites that just repeat the MQA promotional BS because they don't have the intellectual capacity to make a qualified judgement.

Then you have TAS and Stereophile that are promoting MQA for their own reasons.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

9 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

The labels don't have unlimited money and I doubt Reinet Investments has unlimited patience. I can't wait to see MQA Ltd's 2018 financials. 

I think that this july's financial postings will be the big tell for MQA.  I think that MQA is making a big push this Spring in preparation for it.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

On 12/4/2018 at 9:22 AM, Rt66indierock said:

On January 6, 2017 I said when MQA reached 10,000 albums it would no longer be vaporware.

In a telephone call recently, Mike Jbara CEO of MQA Ltd told me around 1.1 million tracks had been processed. This is well over 10,000 since the rule of thumb is to divide tracks by ten or twelve to get the number of albums. Interestingly many have not made their way to the distribution channels.

I’m going to update the original post topics then it is time to move on to the next phase, MQA is not commercially viable.  

Have you changed your criteria for vaporware?

5 hours ago, mansr said:

What would be really funny would be if nobody turned up.

Need some publicity of this somehow.  Tell them audiophile interest was heavily compressed into a format that reduces audiophiles present by 100,000 to 1 using patented technology.  And so they shouldn't be worried about the one person who showed up to tell them that and ask some questions.  The resolution of 100,000 voices was fully bit perfectly conveyed in a lossy manner.  Hopefully with most of the loss coming on the MQA end.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Don't forget a lot of MQA on Onkyo is CD quality not hi-res.

Did you fall off the turnip truck yesterday?  MQA guarantees you know the feelings of the drug addled band and producers the moment they laid down the tracks in the studio with the mastering engineer.  It is beyond high res, its master quality dude.  Where have you been?  Even CD quality in MQA is somehow masterful.  It's like 14 ghz sample rates at 512 bit all in the same file space as MP3 or something.  

;)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

37 minutes ago, esldude said:

Did you fall off the turnip truck yesterday?  MQA guarantees you know the feelings of the drug addled band and producers the moment they laid down the tracks in the studio with the mastering engineer.  It is beyond high res, its master quality dude.  Where have you been?  Even CD quality in MQA is somehow masterful. 

;)

I haven't driven a farm truck in quite a while so no. If MQA is guaranteeing that I'm not feeling it. The marketing guys had to come up with something beyond hi-res because people aren't buying into this hi-res thing. Were have I been? The Valley of the Sun with KNBT 92.1 FM New Bruanfels Texas streaming new Todd Snider ("Like a Force of Nature").  And still in my office on a Saturday night. In about a month I'll get back to working on the somehow. I think is blackberry smoke, curved mirrors and a couple glasses of Night Train Express.

52 minutes ago, Paul R said:

No disrespect intended, but what makes you think MQA is going to even read your questions? If they blew Chris off they way they did, I don't see where you, or pretty much anyone else in this forum save people like John Atkinson are going to get any response from them. The reason of course is simple- facts will not make any impression on MQA - the distribution of such will only help them. 

You do realize that the negative attention from here is being spin doctored into reasons the industry should go with MQA? Regardless of anything else, it will simply be used to encourage the industry to protect their IP. 

Perhaps, instead of heaping scorn, you should be cultivating polite relationships with people like John Atkinson and others. If that, is, folks here have not absolutely soured the relationship we used to enjoy with the industry. I sure as hell don't see people like Gordon Rankin,  or others who used to frequent around here weighing in with an opinion.

I am pretty certain that is because of the awful confrontational attitude, which, thank God is dying down a bit.  Of I am sure the regular crew of cronies will be around to deride this note. But they are far more interested in tooting their own horns than in making any kind of impact on the MQA issues. (Which are valid for the most part.) 

Perhaps you should present them Jud's summary, and then ask Chris to revise his presentation a bit and bring it completely up to date. Then start by distributing -> that <-. 

On the other hand, if you really want MQA to be the universal format for music distribution, just let people keep helping MQA out with the rants and raves and bad examples to use for the rest of the industry. (*sigh*) 

I guess that is my last input here - it is not worth my time to argue with people whose idea of rational discussion is exampled in this thread. Despite the fact I have developed great respect for some of the folks who are known to rant upon occasion. 

-Paul 

When I stop laughing I’ll respond. But I actually have relationships with the MQA Ltd people and John Atkinson. Gordon Rankin and I talked on several occasions. That will be the starting point. I will sleep well tonight, thank you.

21 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

When I stop laughing I’ll respond. But I actually have relationships with the MQA Ltd people and John Atkinson. Gordon Rankin and I talked on several occasions. That will be the starting point. I will sleep well tonight, thank you.

Oh, I sincerely doubt it, and that certainly is not what I am hearing.  But good luck anyway.  

[Deleted because I am tired and obviously not in the best mood right now. -PR ]

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein