IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

"The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I see absolutely no point in pretending that it's not going to happen. I'm fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10 years". David Bowie

_____

"There is no sense in owning the copyright unless you are going to use it. I don't think anyone wants to hold all of this stuff in a vault and not let anybody have it. It's only worth something once it's popular". Hilary Rosen

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/copyright

"In the epic war over Silicon Valley's intellectual property, Bill Gates was on the side of licensing copyright and robust protections for intellectual property. He wasn't on the side of the hackers, and he didn't want information to be free".

Franklin Foer

_____

"The problem with copyright enforcement is that when the parameters aren't incredibly well defined, it means big corporations, who have deeper pockets and better lawyers, can bully people". Shepard Fairey

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

So, I guess it is time for some fun quotes about copyright law...

Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet.

I'll see you one Mark Twain on Copyrights and raise you one Kipling on the Gods of the Copybooks... 

The Gods Of The Copybook Headings

As I pass through my incarnations in every age and race, I make my proper
prostrations to the Gods of the Market-Place.
Peering through reverent fingers I watch them flourish and fall,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings, I notice, outlast them all.

We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn.
That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn:
But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breath of Mind,
So we left them to teach the Gorillas while we followed the March of Mankind.

We moved as the Spirit listed. They never altered their pace,
Being neither cloud nor wind-borne like the Gods of the Market-Place;
But they always caught up with our progress, and presently word would come
That a tribe had been wiped off its icefield, or the lights had gone out in
Rome.

With the Hopes that our World is built on they were utterly out of touch.
They denied that the Moon was Stilton; they denied she was even Dutch.
They denied that Wishes were Horses; they denied that a Pig had Wings.
So we worshipped the Gods of the Market Who promised these beautiful things.

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would
cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
(Which started by loving our neighbour and ended by loving his wife)
Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
And the Gods of the Copybook Heading said: "The Wages of Sin is Death."

In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul; But, though we had
plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
And the Gods of the Copybook Heading said: "If you don't work you die."

Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards
withdrew,
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That All is not God that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four-
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man- There are only
four things certain since Social Progress began:-
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,

And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the Fire;
And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins

When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

[It was short enough to include the entire text here, and is it not under copyright of course. It does speak, elegantly, of the conflict with MQA does it not? :) You can find it on several websites like this one, but they are all infested with too much advertising. Gods of the Copybook Headings indeed... -PR]

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

8 hours ago, kumakuma said:

His LinkedIn profile shows him getting his J.D. in 2008.

Don't know if he was with a firm then, but firms will often have their younger associates publish articles as a way of marketing them. Firm bios for partners will show significant clients, matters they've worked on and positions they've held in various organizations; associates will have fewer of these, so their bios can show the articles they've had published.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 hours ago, fung0 said:

I made no comparison between Meridian (MQA Inc.) and Sony.

The example of Blu-ray should speak to anyone who would contend that there's no fear of...

No?  Meridian Quips Aplenty somehow existed in that (ongoing) redirection toward's Sony's sins (in your highly reasoned approximation).  

Which gives me less confidence of seeing anything displayed but a reflection of the blind determination pro-MQA industry veterans here are broadly accused of.  

In the real world when someone releases a few dollars into a Redbox machine for a full quality BD disc.  Nothing internally triggers memories of all the consumer instigated A/V formats ran asunder by the international consortium of evil corporations who produced a stable platform for the medium of cinematography to be internationally distributed on.  At least I feel confident speaking for the overwhelming majority in that regard. 

Nobody else here is one bit confused the correct parallel to draw is with one of the open source video formats. The differentiating elements being extensive.  I'd suggest reconsulting with your 🔮

On 3/16/2019 at 9:37 AM, Jud said:

Later today or tomorrow I'll post a process with a "way around that."

Done:

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Teresa said:

Well, they won't be able contact me as I'm not on any social media. Have you heard they have all had security breaches? No social media is secure, no matter the misinformation they try to spread. There are 7.5 billion people on Earth, the smart ones IMHO are the 5 billion who are not on Facebook.

You will never find me on social media and you will not find any MQA in my home. If MQA is the only thing offered in the future I will just quit buying music. I love my current music collection of many hundreds of SACDs, DSD downloads and 24-bit PCM downloads that I can live without adding another piece of music to my collection.

No one can force anyone to do anything. We can say No!

I would suggest that by participating in this forum you are on social media.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Yes, we used measurement charts of the AMR DP-777 and iFi Pro DSD by Stereophile and did not reference or ask for prior permission. This is totally our mistake as we dropped the ball. We have already corresponded with Stereophile and have apologised unreservedly for the mistake. We will be rectifying the references asap! For the record, we wish to apologise fully to John Atkinson and Jim Austin of Stereophile.

Well, I'm really glad I posted a link to your white paper then.  That's what lead to this discovery.  Wow, you guys sure know how to blow your credibility.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Yes, we used measurement charts of the AMR DP-777 and iFi Pro DSD by Stereophile and did not reference or ask for prior permission. This is totally our mistake as we dropped the ball. We have already corresponded with Stereophile and have apologised unreservedly for the mistake. We will be rectifying the references asap! For the record, we wish to apologise fully to John Atkinson and Jim Austin of Stereophile.

Why didn't you measure them yourself?

19 hours ago, firedog said:

I would suggest that by participating in this forum you are on social media.

An extremely small sector of it ... digital audio music server/computer/office/home/private/public world. ...With style.

Everything else is secondary, for another world, for an internal affair. 

Only the occasional related economic, geographic and bio-chemistry (DNA) can enter periodically; that's part of of the overall style created by this community...its writers, reviewers, expert contributors, experienced parties and interested culture. 

The forum is not a cult, it's a public gathering of passionate stylistic digits audiophiliacs. 

So yes it is a supremely miniscule social media strictly concentrated in one of the smallest sector of our planet...the digital audio transmission. 

In my own rough estimation it's about 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the global full spectrum of things contributing to the good health of our humanity and our planet. Still, it's important because music matters.

18 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

John is a sweet man; I'm sure he loves to spread the music love and expand the audio world in sharing with all the audio/music lovers in the global community. 

Libraries are where all the teachers and students learn more about everything in the world.

Thank you for putting the dots on the "i"s. 

There is a balance between living and working for a living; the laws we make are the laws affecting that balance of all freedoms. Every country is different, every person has his/her view of the laws governing the lands. Each opinion counts, each law should reflect peace and harmony in the democracy we live in. It's not the bikers or the army who rule like the Lords, it's the people who they serve. The graphs who they serve. 

In the halls of Vienna the musicians play ...  

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

This qualitative argument is meaningless when 'everyone' uses Windows (or the equivalently messed up Apple products.) 

Everyone doesn't use Windows, at least not all the time.  That has always been a pernicious fallacy perpetuated from Microsoft. (Gods of the Copybook headings!) 

Difference is Macs (and Windows at version 10) have very good GUIs, much better than the equivalent GUI's under Linux, Unix, or the various relatives of those.  That's important, not everyone can just drop to a terminal window and be comfortable or productive. I do think everyone should know vi, but that is an unpopular viewpoint. 😁

The underpinnings of MacOS are basically a BSD, the Darwin family to be more precise. That makes it very familiar to me. Also, almost all the GUI capabilities have command line equivalents. That's one of the reasons I tend to run MacOS much more often than Windows. But, I admit, I do have a Windows laptop around for those rare times when I want to run something that is Windows only - like Deltawave.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

5 hours ago, John Dyson said:

(I wrote part of FreeBSD)

I am indeed honored to participate in this discussion with you, sir. About all I can claim is that I've written about Linux... (Not so much BSD, I'm afraid.)

it is better, easier, less external 'control' against my will.  The trouble with Linux is that a lot of stuff isn't compatible, and there are programs that are not available for it.

On the other hand, much of the time I can find alternatives available on Linux to programs running on Windows..  Also, I get the advantage of a MUCH snappier system

This matches my own feelings. I love the performance of Linux, and the total control it gives me. I have enjoyed discovering various Linux-based software alternatives. I currently still use a Windows 7 machine for gaming and general office work, but I have two laptops and a desktop running Mint.

Linux has a truly SLIGHTLY longer learning curve, but just enough to make Windows take control.  (Apple supposedly is easier to use -- but the problem is that the flexibility appears even more limited.)

I'm finding Linux no more challenging than Windows 7, and massively more pleasant to use than the infuriating Windows 10. The Mac has never really been easier to use, but it has been more polished. And, to its credit, Apple has avoided ruining it.

The beauty of Linux is that nothing is hidden, or locked away. It's a dream to install and maintain, compared to Windows.

The historical control by Microsoft has been a sad thing.  I am not on a 'crusade' either way, but it is so very sad indeed.

Microsoft was once a powerful force for good. The trouble with organizations in general is that they mutate over time. Even open-source projects have been known to go off the rails. This is why users need to speak up more forcefully.