IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I noticed that the above link was mentioned in the latest eddition of Hi-Fi News and Record Review:

(A link to the full review & measurements can be found on Auralic's website, if anyone happens to be interestd)

image.png.70009fddc6a66ef387ef8ac331962170.png

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 5 weeks later...

Mr Jabra outlining MQA's environmental credentials on Music:)ally TV...

https://musically.com/2021/02/16/the-case-for-sustainability-as-a-priority-for-the-music-industry/

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

The What Hifi article is open for comments, if anyone fancies putting the record straight.

5 minutes ago, StephenJK said:

My understanding was that Roon did the first unfolding (if enabled) and the Devialet DAC section did the rest (if enabled). 

From what you're saying, Devialet doesn't support MQA and Roon doesn't do much either.  

I'll just turn off those settings and not lose any sleep over it.  Thanks for the reply.

I suggest that you take a look here.  It is a four page thread, but the later sections are probably most relevant.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet-and-MQA?

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

He's a tough get, but I do know one of his good friends :~)

Madonna?

4 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

So Norwegians are not interested in what happens to Tidal? Interesting!

I suppose that I wouldn't care what happens to Tidal except for Tidal's support of MQA.

It’s fair to say that the British seem to be more interested in Harry and Megan at the moment than they are about MQA....

36 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Maybe The royal Academy of Engineering will bestow the Prince Phillip Award on Harry and Megan!

Or maybe MQA will get upset by all the nasty posts in this thread and sneak off to talk to Oprah......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I would absolutely be terrible if people started using this as the MQA logo. 

mQa.jpg

Oi!  MQA is British.  (or arguably English)

You guys can't be held responsible for everything.

25 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Crikey, hope you're not suggesting that the Q should be in Union Jack colours - I'm just about to tuck into my tea here!  

My apologies for that one. 🙂

On reflection, the more “anonymous” looking US version is far more suitable.

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We should also keep in mind these are likely white gloved MQA, not batch processed. 

So you are thinking that very possibly they have actually been “tweaked” by MQA?

21 minutes ago, danadam said:

I always thought that "white glove" processing meant:

1. carefully prepare a new master (in good old PCM, mind you)
  2. encode it in MQA, the usual way
  3. release to public only the encoded version and keep PCM master in safe

which would not entirely apply in case of BC because, presumably, the master they release in FLAC/DSD is already a carefully prepared master.

The above is exactly what I was thinking in my earlier post.  Reading the comments of others, I am now not so sure.  I guess we will never know for sure.

I might try the Blue Coast sample files out of pure curiosity.  In the past I tried comparing MQA versus PCM with some of the 2L sample files and found not a lot of difference, so it might tell me something if the Blue Coast samples did somehow sound radically different.

1 hour ago, StephenJK said:

Would you not need MQA compatible hardware to be able to play the MQA sample?  If you bought hardware that was compatible, could there be the inclination for a slight bias?

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing, that is for sure.

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

P.S. I’ve always thought the Ever Given was sabotaged. Those boats all have auto pilot to keep them where they’re supposed to be. 

Maybe Bob can find a way to fold these big ships into smaller ships, then losslessly unfold them when they have made it through the canal?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 11:25 PM, UkPhil said:

Anyone cozying up for Bob’s fireside chat on Saturday with What Hifi,  not me I’ll be too busy watching paint dry unfortunately.

0EF004AA-FD37-40D4-A7F0-458A404D0A0D.png

I suspect that the hardness of the hard hitting interview might be determined by this:

image.png.2b6950433a64dac3b92ef0acd52c93fd.png

16 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Is the opposition to MQA reaching critical mass?

Are people finally realizing the truth about MQA?

Impossible to say for sure at the moment I think, but here is a little piece of information:

I notice that the GoldenSound video on YouTube is currently showing 130,696 views with 8,900 likes and 99 dislikes.  Based on this, the dislikes are currently running at about 1% of those that viewed and bothered to rate.

Purely anecdotal, but the GoldenSound video was posted on another forum, one or two subsequent posters noted that they had switched from Tidal to Qobuz for reasons of sound quality.  One poster mentioned he had previously avoided Qobuz as it did not have the content he required, but this was no longer an issue for him as the Qobuz music selection had now improved.

It would be nice if there were some accurate and up to date numbers for Tidal versus Qobuz subscribers, but I do not think any exist?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SoundAndMotion said:

Either way, the conference looks interesting, especially many talks/sessions on spatial sound...

Slightly off topic here, but I have to say I agree, there are a number of other sessions that do look as if they might be very interesting.  I think I will register.  

More from Hans ....

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lamode said:

There are laws in the UK against false and misleading advertising. ( see https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising )

Maybe someone in the UK could start the process of reporting MQA to their local Trading Standards office?

It has been done.  It did not get the desired result though:

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/mqa-ltd-a18-470395.html

Apple:

Apple Music will also make its catalog of more than 75 million songs available in Lossless Audio. Apple uses ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) to preserve every single bit of the original audio file. This means Apple Music subscribers will be able to hear the exact same thing that the artists created in the studio.

MQA:

Using a unique ‘origami’ folding technique, the information is packaged efficiently to retain all the detail from the studio recording.

10 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

Well if MQA infects FLAC by stealth there will now always be ALAC for lossless 

That's quite a thought.  A new world order where ALAC is the watchword for untainted true lossless audio.