IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I will come out and say this: Being a music consumer and seeing that MQA is pure BS and royally screws the music consumer,  I am vehemently opposed to MQA.

Why some people spend enormous amounts of time and effort making excuses for MQA raises questions in my mind.

Here is there argument......

Image result for funny argument meme

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

No, but I wasn't aware that posting to this on-line forum requires claims to be peer-reviewed.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Well, Archimago put all his files and his methodology online for ANYONE to see if they get the same results. People make mistakes, even scientists (that is why PEER REVIEW is done). Just saying what the results are, kind of means nothing without the information as to what the files were, etc. A good scientist always publishes test methodology.

Journals like AES, which are not peer reviewed, have issues that they are basic commercials, nothing more.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

8 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I bought a Benchmark DAC3 HGC for a number of reasons.  One of the primary reasons was that it was not infected with MQA.  It is a quality built piece of equipment that fit in with my needs.  Of primary importance to me is that it is made in America.  Being a proud American makes this important to me.

I do not purport to know what Mr Atkinson thinks,  but I suspect that Mr Atkinson wanted to lend support to a fellow Brit who was running a failing business.  I also suspect that Mr Atkinson wanted to see a process that would bring needed cash into a country that is slipping into third world status.  What bothers me is the disregard for the music consumer who is the base for his status.

I don't think that at all. That is too much of the 'conspiracy koolaid'. I just think they went with the talking points from MQA and used them. Then when there was push back, they kept pushing the same nonsense because of course, the HAVE TO BE RIGHT. It is more about being right and not admitting being duped, than anything else. 

As I stated before, it is the same thing that people who are anti-vaxxers do when you show them paper and paper that they are wrong. You bluster up and attack.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

Roon and my DAC think Tidal’s MQA files are 24/whatever. Are you saying they’re not?

They are not but, that is what MQA WANTS you to think. They are more than likely 17-18 bit at the most. Anything over 96KHz is all done by oversampling, not actual recording at that level.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Anderson East - Encore (2018 Elektra Records) [11 tracks, 96Khz]  - this LP can be bought 96/24 - FLAC/AIFF/MQA

Since this is a recent LP, there is probably one master.

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/30487

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

58 minutes ago, Paul R said:

We will have to disagree. In the audiophile market, which defines everyone here, it is always and inevitably about the sound. 

Archimago’s and Mansr’s research is only relevant to audiophiles as it suggests the sound may not be as good as promised. Actually, it provides compelling evidence about that, but the final test is listening. The most compelling test, for audiophiles, is listening.

That Mansr, for instance, refuses to either confirm or deny he ever listened to a MQA vs PCM comparison (a valid one) argues for, what? He is nkt an audiophile and simoly wants to show up audiophiles? He is concerned his evidence won’t be confirmed by listening? 

You keep saying sounds better, to whom? I do not trust the Audio Press as they have been shown to care more that a piece costs more than my house, than it's actual sound. That is the part that perplexes me. The auto press reviews vehicles from all price ranges, yet the Audiophile press seems to be enamored with pieces most people can't afford.

You keep harping on Mansr. He has pointed out the sloppy filters, etc. used in MQA. Why should he listen, if he has already stated he doesn't want it?

I have done listening, but yet you do not even mention anything that I have stated as a negative, on my listening tests.

Listening can be influenced. Hence why many listening tests, the ones operating the test, tell you what you will hear. Even if it is not present, your brain will fill in those details. How is that even useful?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Just now, kumakuma said:

It's not a fan.

That means? Inquiring minds would like to know. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Thanks for posting - I knew about the xivero paper as that was made me suspect about MQA. That and a nice discussion with Mark Waldrep at AXPONA about it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

36 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

For your Wednesday morning viewing pleasure...

Teacher, do I have to watch it? :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I understand. It's like watching Lawrence Taylor sack Joe Theismann. Painful to watch.

I was actually thinking Dick Butkus.......

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

8 hours ago, GUTB said:

I have two sample packs (Jazz and Classical) which contain a MQA-CD and regular CD of the same tracks. Kiyohiko Ozaki Second Album, Hiromi - MOVE, and Portrait in Jazz - Bill Evans Trio (Riverside). I thought I had Portrait in Jazz in CD format but I didn't so I ordered one in order to do a comparison. That will come hopefully this week. The sampler packs show a clear improvement in the MQA version but of course being sampler packs these may be cherry-picked examples.

Also here is an MQA insert that came with the MQA-CDs:

jp-mqa-insert.png.05f17a8b29f9681f0aed02b02a517fe4.png

Most Hiromi LP's are overly compressed and recorded very high. I saw her live in Boston and that was an amazing show to see but her LP's are not so good. I wouldn't tout those and the end all and be all of MQA unless you like loud, overly compressed music.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Just now, KeenObserver said:

Now I am really interested in seeing this years financials for MQA ltd.  If all of the shills are coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden, it means that MQA is continuing to try and ram it down the consumers throats.  The investors must have dumped more capital into the scheme.  If that is so, they must expect to reap huge profits.  Profits borne on the backs of the music consumer.

Don't forget the Artists themselves. They are being used also.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590