IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I object to the term "master" in this context entirely. MQA encoding is not a bit perfect copy of the master, and using that terminology is very misleading.

This reminds me of the lie: "perfect sound forever"

Obviously this is a very calculated case of subterfuge!

I am going to stop commenting, I still buy physical media and don't stream so it seems I have no horse in this race, yet!

Jim

Obviously this is a very calculated case of subterfuge!

I am going to stop commenting, I still buy physical media and don't stream so it seems I have no horse in this race, yet!

You will soon enough. Notice also over on the "Big MQA news" thread how folks are saying "I'm streaming 24/92!"...no, no you are not - you are streaming MQA. They have been successful at their MQA = PCM subterfuge as well.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Given that Tidal didn't have representation at RMAF, I'm skeptical of the original claim.

Chris, I was told by MQA representatives at RMAF 2016 about Tidal pricing after a discussion where I pressed them about the amount of content converted since T.HE. Show 2016 and how the converted files would be distributed. Then the discussion moved to costs. At some point I commented that was a lot of costs. And asked what will Tidal have to charge? They told me $40 a month.

And don't forget your post #2 in Big MQA News, no extra cost is the introductory rate. In case you forgot an introductory price means a higher price is coming.

Chris, I was told by MQA representatives at RMAF 2016 about Tidal pricing after a discussion where I pressed them about the amount of content converted since T.HE. Show 2016 and how the converted files would be distributed. Then the discussion moved to costs. At some point I commented that was a lot of costs. And asked what will Tidal have to charge? They told me $40 a month.

And don't forget your post #2 in Big MQA News, no extra cost is the introductory rate. In case you forgot an introductory price means a higher price is coming.

Their letter and website says nothing about an introductory rate.

They do say they are "introducing" this to their subscribers for no additional cost - which could mean this is an "introductory rate" - but it is not so stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

MQA was launched on December 2014. It is now January 2, 2017 so let’s see where MQA is at today.

Remember all the people who said that MQA was not Digital Rights Management? Well Utimaco disagrees. “MQA turned to Utimaco, a leading manufacturer of hardware-based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. “ “Critical to the continued success and monetization of the streaming and download services of the entertainment industry, is the ability to secure and safeguard end-to-end transmission of intellectual property. A market leader in hardened encryption, Utimaco is at the forefront of enabling the authenticated delivery needed to drive next-generation entertainment consumption.”

Now turn to content. As of today there is no music in the genres 80% of American buy, Rock, R&B/Hip Hop, Pop and Country. Add Latin and EDM and you are at about 9 out of ten people buying music in America have no MQA encoded music to purchase. Don’t wait for licensee Warner Music Group to suddenly turn a switch and their music become available because they told the SEC in their latest financial statements they haven’t figured out how to distribute digital music.

There are 10 companies that produce equipment with MQA decoders. None of the products have enough units in the hands of consumers to make any impact. Many companies announced they would not support the format. The view of companies neither producing products nor announcing they would not support the format is indifference. Hardly a must have feature.

I said earlier this year that I would need 200 artists producing new music in the genres I regularly buy for MQA to be viable a viable format for me. I don’t see any interest by those artists in recording high resolution much less with MQA encoding. Those genres are rock, alt rock, alt country and bluegrass. And personally I will not test any MQA equipment until eight of the nine albums I use as my reference are available in MQA.

The Doors “Riders on the Storm “was used as demo of MQA not realizing there was no master to authenticate. Something that was well known but apparently unknown to the MQA people and audio journalists.

As of January 2, 2017 two years after its splashy launch we have a lot of audiophile press about MQA, announcements and demonstrations. But there is a limited supply of equipment to decode MQA files and no music encoded for nine out ten American music buyers, classic vaporware.

Rt66indierock, don't ever try the stock market, your timing is BAD. It's like your post caused it to rain MQA streams **FREE** from Tidal and I didn't have to buy nuthin, not even a DAC.

it's the DRM issue that people are worried about

That, and I believe there are many more issues people are worried about. Most people aren't worried about it, but some are. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. Some will never be happy with MQA regardless of what the company says or does. So be it.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Rt66indierock, don't ever try the stock market, your timing is BAD. It's like your post caused it to rain MQA streams **FREE** from Tidal and I didn't have to buy nuthin, not even a DAC.

Witch,

Vaporware for me is less than 10,000 albums. I nice round number I've used for several decades. Then we get to commercial viability.

I think my timing was good. MQA didn't have 10,000 albums as of January 2, 2017 and they still don't. When they do MQA won't be vaporware.

Witch,

Vaporware for me is less than 10,000 albums. I nice round number I've used for several decades. Then we get to commercial viability.

I think my timing was good. MQA didn't have 10,000 albums as of January 2, 2017 and they still don't. When they do MQA won't be vaporware.

3,000 albums so far.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Introducing is hook marketing word. If there is no additional cost then Tidal is absorbing the costs associated MQA or MQA is not getting any royalties. You tell me which one is happening. MQA can license hardware and software collect royalties on unit sales. And they can license content providers and collect royalties. Can you see any other ways to bring in revenue?

I am a Tidal HiFi subscriber.

I compared Tidal with Spotify in my system and the sonic difference I could hear in my system was enough to justify the higher monthly cost.

Now I have an additional option (MQA streaming) which seems (at least this is the first impression) to improve or in any case to not worsen the SQ.

As long as the Tidal subscription cost does not increase, I'm happy (and happier than before).

I am a Tidal HiFi subscriber.

I compared Tidal with Spotify in my system and the sonic difference I could hear in my system was enough to justify the higher monthly cost.

Now I have an additional option (MQA streaming) which seems (at least this is the first impression) to improve or in any case to not worsen the SQ.

As long as the Tidal subscription cost does not increase, I'm happy (and happier than before).

I only discussed the sound quality of Riders on the Storm. And I won't discuss sound quality again until I have enough music to do proper testing. That means Sony and Universal have to license MQA.

I may buy a Dragonfly Red and experiment with Tidal as a lark or impulse buy.

A question for those who have been using the software passthrough option and using a DAC to decode. I have a Meridian Explorer 2. Listening to 2L MQA files via Audirvana and the Explorer 2 - the light turns blue to show MQA Studio Quality and the sound is very good. Same file played as a master through Tidal wiith software passthrough (DAC doing the decoding) and the light on the Explorere 2 is White and seems to be at 88 or 96.

Should the tidal file played thorugh the Explorer 2 also show MQA studio quality?

Also, the 2l version played through Audirvana and the Explorer actually sounds better to me.

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

I was able to get the blue light to work by checking the Exclusive Mode box for the Explorer2. The blue light comes on with either passthrough checked or unchecked. Now to test the difference between software decoding and DAC decoding.

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

Introducing is hook marketing word. If there is no additional cost then Tidal is absorbing the costs associated MQA or MQA is not getting any royalties. You tell me which one is happening. MQA can license hardware and software collect royalties on unit sales. And they can license content providers and collect royalties. Can you see any other ways to bring in revenue?

Perhaps, just perhaps, a company can expect more customers when introducing a product without additional charges.

Sorry, just a little confused here, Do I need to change the settings MIDI on my iMAC- I use the TIDAL APP and normally I just set the MIDI to 48. I don't see any changes when I clicked on exclusive. I use to have AMARRA for my library and it would automatically change my MIDI settings. I guess I should get an app that do that, or would it be fine to leave my MIDI at 96 all the time.

Sorry, just a little confused here, Do I need to change the settings MIDI on my iMAC- I use the TIDAL APP and normally I just set the MIDI to 48. I don't see any changes when I clicked on exclusive. I use to have AMARRA for my library and it would automatically change my MIDI settings. I guess I should get an app that do that, or would it be fine to leave my MIDI at 96 all the time.

You do not need to make any changes to Audio MIDI. Select your output device, click the configuration (gear) icon next to the device and select "Exclusive". The Tidal app will automatically change the bitrate, etc., to match each track, without any intervention from you.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Just did that and now I am not getting any sound from my DAC

Great just figured it out, I was clicking on BUILT IN OUTPUT and not on my DAC. Once i clicked on the tools by my dac name and clicked exclusive it started changing the resolution. awesome thanks

3,000 albums so far.

I didn't check, but are those the same ones highresaudio.com is selling as downloads with 2€ extra price per album compared to the non-MQA hires? It would be of course easy for Tidal to add those albums that already existed in MQA.

I've been buying bunch of albums from there in both MQA and original non-MQA hires for technical comparison purposes.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I didn't check, but are those the same ones highresaudio.com is selling as downloads with 2€ extra price per album compared to the non-MQA hires? It would be of course easy for Tidal to add those albums that already existed in MQA.

I've been buying bunch of albums from there in both MQA and original non-MQA hires for technical comparison purposes.

Will you be publishing something to show if the MQA thing is good or not?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos