IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Most of these are younger people who have had smart mobile devices around them all their lives. A very small percentage of them might be interested in higher sound quality. Might.

They're also spending a lot of money on vinyl (not my kids, but their friends). With the "remasters" the labels are putting out and the crappy turntables they're playing them on I don't think they are getting high SQ. But they do, and it's really cool too.

Did you know that vinyl is the only audio physical media that's been growing - and very significantly - for the past five years or so.

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy the Explorer 2 if you don't plan to use it until Roon releases decoding sometime in the future? For me it's a non-issue because I'm not about give up my non-MQA DACs for the foreseeable future.

It is $200 on Amazon, and my curiosity about MQA got the best of me. The E2 can do full decoding. Not sure if Roon will just pass it through. I hope so.I admit I just assumed the current version of Roon can't access the MQA content. I should experiment.

But the Tidal desktop app still sucks. :-)

You're right about that. I wasn't even going to try it into my PS Audio DAC because I was sure it was crap. But, like you, my curiosity got the best of me and I became impatient waiting for Roon. I was very pleasantly surprised. It's at least worth the effort of plugging the USB into a good DAC and listening.

If I can find all the MQA on Tidal and pass it undecoded to the Explorer 2, that will do for now.

Still can't understand why Tidal doesn't label the MQA masters so they are easy to find.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

For what it's worth, I happen to think Ted Smith at PS Audio has the best perspective on all this MQA stuff. And he does it in one paragraph!

Ted Smith said

etchcube said

All questions are explained in-depth much better here:
http://www.computeraudiophile……ob-stuart/

By no means is that true. He sidesteps many of the questions and many of his answers, when parsed, say quite different things than they appear to on the surface. For example Redbook has no particular limit on timing accuracy (any properly bandlimited input signal can be placed at any point in time with arbitrary accuracy.) It’s limits derive from bit width limits and the bandwidth limit and resultant constraints on the antialiasing and reconstruction filters. Many people have chosen filters that aren’t optimized for best preservation of waveshape, but that’s not Redbook’s fault. I’m glad that MQA is helping people understand that phase is important.

It’s easy for me to believe that MQA can help many DACs get better sound from a 16/44.1 or 16/48k bit stream than they do now. It’s quite another thing to claim that MQA betters 24/192 or DSD – on the surface it explicitly doesn’t have the same S/N or bandwidth… And 24/192 and DSD don’t have the problems that Redbook does. IMO they solve Redbook’s problems much more elegantly than MQA and with less damage to the signal, tho not at the same bit rates.

I’ll stop there since I’ve not got time for this …

Still can't understand why Tidal doesn't label the MQA masters so they are easy to find.

Lazy, or lost the list on what's masters or not, to quick to the gate and fail behind, etc.. And agree MQA has nothing to do with the administration of the app or the Tidal catalog. Tidal just messed up.

The Truth Is Out There

For what it's worth, I happen to think Ted Smith at PS Audio has the best perspective on all this MQA stuff. And he does it in one paragraph!

Ted Smith said

etchcube said

All questions are explained in-depth much better here:
http://www.computeraudiophile……ob-stuart/

By no means is that true. He sidesteps many of the questions and many of his answers, when parsed, say quite different things than they appear to on the surface. For example Redbook has no particular limit on timing accuracy (any properly bandlimited input signal can be placed at any point in time with arbitrary accuracy.) It’s limits derive from bit width limits and the bandwidth limit and resultant constraints on the antialiasing and reconstruction filters. Many people have chosen filters that aren’t optimized for best preservation of waveshape, but that’s not Redbook’s fault. I’m glad that MQA is helping people understand that phase is important.

It’s easy for me to believe that MQA can help many DACs get better sound from a 16/44.1 or 16/48k bit stream than they do now. It’s quite another thing to claim that MQA betters 24/192 or DSD – on the surface it explicitly doesn’t have the same S/N or bandwidth… And 24/192 and DSD don’t have the problems that Redbook does. IMO they solve Redbook’s problems much more elegantly than MQA and with less damage to the signal, tho not at the same bit rates.

I’ll stop there since I’ve not got time for this …

PS Audio is just another dupe that is afraid that people happy streaming MQA at no additional cost won't need to buy all the expensive inventory sitting in their warehouse collecting dust. What a moronic attempt at self preservation from a sycophant that feeds off people easily swayed by technobabble double talk.

Also Paul McGowan and Ted Smith on software decoding versus decoding on the chip with DAC profiling.

January 7, 2017

1:32 pm

userdefault.png

jbwhite

Member.png

Forum Posts: 50

October 24, 2013

sp_UserOfflineSmall.png Offline

sp_ArrowUp.png

188sp_Permalink.png sp_Print.png 0sp_RateDownGrey.pngsp_RateUpGrey.png

Paul McGowan said

The perfect place for the MQA decoder is in the server or Bridge, not the DAC. That’s what we’ve figured out so far and that’s what we’re noodling on to see if it can be done there.

According to Roon, the full unfolding of MQA files will be done within Roon. I think Paul’s post above suggests this is preferable to MQA being decoded by the DAC.

January 7, 2017

1:43 pm

1398974699Mug-3.jpg

Ted Smith

PS-Expert.png

PS Expert

Forum Posts: 2326

February 26, 2014

sp_UserOfflineSmall.png Offline

sp_ArrowUp.png

189sp_Permalink.png sp_Print.png 0sp_RateDownGrey.pngsp_RateUpGrey.png

Definitely – The DS can take, say, 24/176.4, 24/192 or 24/352.8 which I have a hard time believing will limit MQA’s sound quality so decoding it in the player, bridge or server makes a lot of sense and decouples MQA from hardware – e.g. they can upgrade it…

PS Audio is just another dupe that is afraid that people happy streaming MQA at no additional cost won't need to buy all the expensive inventory sitting in their warehouse collecting dust. What a moronic attempt at self preservation from a sycophant that feeds off people easily swayed by technobabble double talk.

You should fact check a bit before you go off. What they say is you don't need to buy anything to get all the benefits of MQA. That's why I've never considered ponying up money for any of this.

It’s easy for me to believe that MQA can help many DACs get better sound from a 16/44.1 or 16/48k bit stream than they do now.

How it is possibly?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

How it is possibly?

I think what he is saying is it brings a kind of "best practice" to the heretofore poor overall filter/reconstruction design of *most* DAC's. He is not saying that MQA is necessary or brings something undiscovered to the table - so we are back to the overall (end to end, etc.) package argument. I look at this argument/angle and then I look at the actual MQA implementation we have currently (mostly Tidal of course) and judge it a hit or miss...a big "depends", but then we are back to the "mastering" angle...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I think what he is saying is it brings a kind of "best practice" to the heretofore poor overall filter/reconstruction design of *most* DAC's. He is not saying that MQA is necessary or brings something undiscovered to the table - so we are back to the overall (end to end, etc.) package argument. I look at this argument/angle and then I look at the actual MQA implementation we have currently (mostly Tidal of course) and judge it a hit or miss...a big "depends", but then we are back to the "mastering" angle...

I think, that I understand, what you meant. But let's look to example:

1. We have compressed as MQA original high-res (as example 192/24).

2. We compare it with the original hi-res 192/24.

3. Both cases we use single DAC's mode (sample rate/bit depth - 192/24).

Where's improving?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

MQA doesn't have anything to do with the Tidal app.

I guess I will sound like some conspiracy theorist (heaven forbid!) but I can't buy into the thought that MQA doesn't dictate how their wares are presented by companies like Tidal in exchange for licensing the tech. The proof in the pudding will be when more outlets make streaming of MQA available and how they label them or not.

Jim

Really?! Ted Smith? One of the most knowledgeable and innovative DAC designers around? Who probably knew more about digital audio and its implementations 5 years ago than Bob Stuart ever knew?

I think, that I understand, what you meant. But let's look to example:

1. We have compressed as MQA original high-res (as example 192/24).

2. We compare it with the original hi-res 192/24."

3. Both cases we use single DAC's mode (sample rate/bit depth - 192/24).

Where's improving?

He didn't say that. You have to read more carefully.

"It’s quite another thing to claim that MQA betters 24/192 or DSD – on the surface it explicitly doesn’t have the same S/N or bandwidth… And 24/192 and DSD don’t have the problems that Redbook does. IMO they solve Redbook’s problems much more elegantly than MQA and with less damage to the signal, tho not at the same bit rates.