IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

33 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

I appreciate the cogent and measured response, Chris. The continued evolution of your approach to the ultimate hot-button topic in audio makes sense to me and and reflects both open-mindedness and principle.

We have, I think, explored thoroughly the issue that matters to me, namely the way that audiophiles speak to one another in the public space. No matter how many times I say so, a small core of Vaporware posters can't get their heads around the idea that MQA really isn't of great importance to me—though I have learned a good deal here, even from the forum participants who detest me and my kind. I had, indeed, read Jud's post and found to be a concise, understandable, and reasonable summation of what's wrong with MQA. And I think that Lee S (anyone who thinks he has a "thin skin" is not a very good observer; "glutton for punishment" is more like it) has kept front and center the positions of MQA, Inc. In both cases, all the arguments on both sides were quite familiar—these are two entrenched constituencies. If Lee "regurgitates"—well, so do the Vaporware warriors when they get going on MQA-as-a-lossy-format or a MQA-is -DRM. That's not to say that they're not right and Lee is wrong—just that the positions they represent ossified about 400 pages ago on this epic thread, and I do wonder if Rt66indierock will see fit to shut it down before too much longer. There's so much more to talk about.

Paul's perspective was really very helpful, enlivening this forum in a positive way for the first time in a while—probably since the time that Archimago was most active here.  I've also noted that at least a few AS members have surfaced who are interested in talking to each other rather than at each other.

I look forward to saying hello to any and all of my AS friends and detractors at AXPONA, where I'll be covering lower-priced loudspeakers for my magazine. I'll be the guy with the armed guard. Armed Old Guard, that is...

Andrew Quint

Look!  There's Bigfoot!

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

Actually, things were settling down until Lee came back and stirred the pot again.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Tapes?  If they were mastered before around 1985, maybe.  HDTracks has many titles where the 80s and 90s era 16/44 masters are captured to analog tape (for preservation and future readability) then that tape is in turn captured digitally again at a higher sample rate.  Those output files, even in "naked" PCM format are not worth the disc space that they consume.  And lots of those files have been made into MQA.  "Master Quality" is a lie.

I agree - think of recordings similar to the the Mercury recordings. Some if the original broadway recordings. Definitely older stuff. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, crenca said:

According to:

http://www.axpona.com/sessions_byday.asp

MQA is giving a demo/seminar/sales pitch.  Have they been doing this on the show circuit lately?  Do they take questions?

1 hour ago, ARQuint said:

This will be a presentation in a large room and I'm sure there will be questions/comments taken from the audience. I hope that Chris plans to attend. I won't miss it.

If I was a dick I’d give them the same treatment they gave me. But, I won’t stoop to that level. I’ll try to attend though. 

AD8C53A0-52DC-4EE6-9BCD-3B5FBC019EA0.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Just eat lots of curried baked beans before the event.

Better still, arrange for a power failure at 3.00PM ;)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, firedog said:

No, it just means they are not yet in a market position with MQA to make that work. If, as you keep claiming, MQA is adopted by some of the significant streaming services (Tidal and Qobuz are minor players), then we will see what they really intend.
I also find it interesting as MQA Ltd., themselves have said that their goal is to be the default streaming format (other than free mp3 streams), and to accrue profits from the MQA licensed HW that will then necessarily follow.

I am not claiming that MQA will be adopted by a major streaming service.  I have been claiming that they NEED to be adopted by a major streaming service to be financially successful.

2 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

30bc217098ac6af977af3c26f5048b1f--shaun-the-sheep-the-dead.jpg.621822f0564f0016cf1649d8ce9db693.jpg

So, you imply that YOU have the character and skill to discern the truth about MQA. Would you be willing to elaborate on the virtues you exercise, particularly in posts like this, and the requisite skills that you have, that both Mr. Atkinson and Mr. Quint so sorely lack in your most humble opinion? 

Do you claim the gift of discernment?   https://spiritualgiftstest.com/spiritual-gift-discernment/

That is such a great image.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I agree that the labels still are letting out 24/96 of albums - and if you are correct that it's "thousands," even better.

But as usual, @Lee Scoggins, you appear unwilling or unable to acknowledge or understand the consequences of your statement for your own argument.

You have argued strenuously that MQA is necessary/beneficial because it will spur more high-res releases, owing to the "giving away the Crown Jewels" problem the labels have, and/or to the "authentication" verification afforded by MQA's blue light

But if the labels are in fact continuing to release thousands of albums' worth of conventional high-res PCM files, then your argument is proven to be incorrect.

Given that, all that remains of MQA is its claim to sonic superiority based on its filtering. Remember, MQA cannot claim any sonic benefit based on resolution because even if you ignore the fact that MQA is approximately 17-bit and is lossy above 24kHz, it's competing with 24/96 (and at times 24/192) PCM files.

So all that's left is the Meridian's slow-slope, apodizing fliers, which prioritize phase linearity over frequency linearity (and produce high aliasing distortion in the process). I certainly have no problem with the fact that you (based on your prior comments) prefer MQA's filtering. But that subjective listening impression is in no way, shape, or form an argument in favor of MQA as a format, as preferred sonic engineering solution, as a technological ecosystem, or as a business model.

Not really.  You have compact files sizes as well which is important to streaming services.  Also, the MQA deblurring filters are not apodizing filters as I originally thought.  They are a different filter it turns out.

The reason I prefer the MQA filters is that it sounds more like live classical and jazz acoustic music which I record.

MQA is not the same as someone adding EQ.  It's correcting for problems in the conversion and that gets the final result closer to the live event that was recorded.

So you wind up with a few benefits:  

1.  Hirez files with no losses in the audible range

2.  Compact file size and business model advantages via a premium tier

3.  Sound improvements via the deblurring filters.

2 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Not really.  You have compact files sizes as well which is important to streaming services.  Also, the MQA deblurring filters are not apodizing filters as I originally thought.  They are a different filter it turns out.

The reason I prefer the MQA filters is that it sounds more like live classical and jazz acoustic music which I record.

MQA is not the same as someone adding EQ.  It's correcting for problems in the conversion and that gets the final result closer to the live event that was recorded.

So you wind up with a few benefits:  

1.  Hirez files with no losses in the audible range

2.  Compact file size and business model advantages via a premium tier

3.  Sound improvements via the deblurring filters.

In your opinion.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

11 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I'm going to go out on a bit of limb here and say I have a positive reaction to much (though not all) of what @ARQuint writes in this comment.

I do think that some participants in this thread are unwilling to make a distinction between (A) strongly and forcefully defending important points, and (B) making repeated ad hominem and uncivil attacks.

There's a bit of irony - one could even say hypocrisy - in posts here that insist that "facts are facts" and then immediately proceed to pepper their criticism of pro-MQA folks and "old guard" audiophile press members with snark, sarcasm, unproven insinuations, and so on. 

Let me be clear - I am not in any way saying or implying that facts are not facts. As I hope folks know, I am 100% dead-set against MQA for the reasons @mansr, @Jud, and many many others have stated (and the reasons I've repeatedly articulated myself in response to @Lee Scoggins' comments).

But at some point, discussion becomes pointless without civility - not because we all have to be nice to each other or gloss over real disagreements, but rather because the entire point of discussion is to impact others' perspective: to educate and hopefully to persuade. And if you simply insult those who disagree with you, you're just preening for those who already agree. You might as well shout into a mirror for all the change your comments will make.

That said, while I do appreciate and agree with Andrew Quint's emphasis on baseline civility, I do take exception to the equivalency he sets up between Jud and Lee Scoggins. The evaluation of arguments cannot be objective to the extent that mathematical principles are, but I think by any reasonable standard Jud's arguments here are more substantive, more internally consistent, and more attentive to the technical facts of MQA than Lee's are.

Moreover, everyone should note that immediately after pairing Jud and Lee, Andrew Quint then pairs Lee and the more shall-we-say rhetorical anti-MQA folks here - a group of which Jud is most decidedly not a part. I mention this because it highlights the flaw in Andrew's both-sides framing of this discussion. Lee certainly is not as nasty or biting as many of his detractors - but the quality of his arguments are no better than those of the folks Andrew is upset about here. By contrast, Jud's arguments - not to mention mansr's and many others' - are far superior. And there is no equivalent pro-MQA voice here with substantive, compelling, fact-based arguments.

This is why I think @The Computer Audiophile's good-faith investigation into MQA inevitably led him away from the hoped-for middle ground and into anti-MQA territory. The facts simply don't support MQA's value or its claims - and if the repetitiveness of this 400-page thread has any value, it is that it demonstrates that even with virtually infinite time and opportunities, MQA cannot make its case.

So civility, yes. But false equivalence in the name of civility? No thank you.

@ARQuint, your the political bluffer expert here, why don't you explain to @tmtomh his fundamental error in the first half of his post?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

6 hours ago, botrytis said:

As far as MQA, I have heard the Peter McGrath MQA samples and the spiel beforehand. I closed my ears to the spiel and listened to just the music. There was a difference and it wasn't pleasant.

I have my doubts on the veracity of this statement.  The Peter McGrath demo files clearly show the benefits of the MQA encoding.  It's not subtle but quite material.  I've repeated it on several systems including my own system.  Everything about the MQA files is better from timbre of the instruments to soundstaging to room tone.

It sounds like your mind was made up before the demo.