IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

7 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

To be fair to Paul, he also said that we should stop worrying about MQA because there will always be alternative sources of music available such as street musicians hawking their self-produced CDs out of their guitar cases. :) 

A lot of the bands i like are in general, not mainstream - so i do hope they don't get conned by the MQA hype.

I visited Oxford Street a few weeks ago - the high volume of the street artists PA system was ear piercingly painful. I am surprised Westminster council allowed such a high volume.

😀 Anyway, just had the Brexit vote - looks like we are going for a No Deal. I don't think we need Europe anyway - the French keep on burning our lamb exports to them.😀

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

I don't see the relevance to this discussion. 

What am I doing, saying, or not doing that is causing confusion? Let me try this way, and if you disagree, please explain why a little more. Concrete between the ears today, apparently. 

• MQA wants to be universal.
  • They will never convince the local musicians to join MQA unless there is a strong financial incentive to do so. 
  • They number in the thousands, and have billions of dollars of impact on the local community. 
  • How is MQA ever going to "take over" the world with those kinds of people out there?   

That's just one group. You have audiophiles on a different hand, and while we represent a much smaller market segment and economic impact, we certainly do carry some clout. People targeting the audiophile market will build equipment that does not contain MQA is audiophiles will buy it.  The same is actually true in the pro market. 

Yours,

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, firedog said:

One, they don’t care about needle drops.

The “truly enormous” library isn’t - only a small number of audiophiles even own any or know that it exists. A hires download that sells a few thousand copies is a top seller. 

They will continue doing what they’ve been doing with old music since the 80’s: bring out new formats and new remixes, box sets,  and remasters and get the public to buy it again.
There’s still an enormous amount of music that hasn’t been released in hires they can release. Notice just in the last few months: Lennon, Beatles, Hendrix, Buffalo Springfield. AFAIK, all sold well and many  also sold in expensive deluxe or boxed editions. 

Oops, my bad. I was including Redbook resolution in the "hi-res" comment, confusingly and erroneously. I was thinking of the premium tiers on the streaming services, and included the rather extensive CD libraries most people have. It isn't uncommon for even non-audiophiles to have a couple hundred CDs. 

Audiophiles, as usual, tend to go a bit overboard with our libraries, having thousands of CD's, usually ripped to spinning disk storage, thank goodness. 

Robert A. Heinlein

2 minutes ago, Paul R said:

What am I doing, saying, or not doing that is causing confusion? Let me try this way, and if you disagree, please explain why a little more. Concrete between the ears today, apparently. 

• MQA wants to be universal.
  • They will never convince the local musicians to join MQA unless there is a strong financial incentive to do so. 
  • They number in the thousands, and have billions of dollars of impact on the local community. 
  • How is MQA ever going to "take over" the world with those kinds of people out there?   

That's just one group. You have audiophiles on a different hand, and while we represent a much smaller market segment and economic impact, we certainly do carry some clout. People targeting the audiophile market will build equipment that does not contain MQA is audiophiles will buy it.  The same is actually true in the pro market.

I'm not totally sure, but I think "take over the world" was your characterization.  Unsigned and indie artists aren't relevant.  During SACDs heyday, how many unsigned artists do you think were releasing on SACD?  And I seriously doubt anyone was pinning their hopes on unsigned artists to transform SACD into a market juggernaut. 

For me, MQA is about what's happening with the major labels back catalogs.  I really could care less about contemporary artists.

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm not totally sure, but I think "take over the world" was your characterization.  Unsigned and indie artists aren't relevant.  During SACDs heyday, how many unsigned artists do you think were releasing on SACD?  And I seriously doubt anyone was pinning their hopes on unsigned artists to transform SACD into a market juggernaut. 

For me, MQA is about what's happening with the major labels back catalogs.  I really could care less about contemporary artists.

I can see that.

On the other hand, everyone has some of the back catalog, at least on CD resolution. Those files are not going to stop working even if MQA takes over all music distribution in the world.  If it becomes available for sale only in MQA, who is going to buy it? And Why?  

If they drop the price and release a lot of the unreleased music, assuming they can find the tapes of course, then- maybe...

Robert A. Heinlein

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Local musicians are irrelevant to this discussion.

If you look at the hard drives of the folks here on this site, you will find that the vast majority of the music they own comes from a label owned by one of the Big Three.

All MQA needs to do is lock down the big three and everyone else will come in line.

Sure there will still be sources of non-MQA music out there but it will be music that few people are interested in.

Oh, perhaps so.

My library is not dominated nearly so much by the big three, as I have thousands of hours of recordings I made, and a lot of those are local groups. Also I have well over a thousand needle drops, some of which desperately need to be redone. Only a few thousand albums from the big three. 

My viewpoint may be a little biased there. 

Robert A. Heinlein

Just now, Paul R said:

I can see that.

On the other hand, everyone has some of the back catalog, at least on CD resolution. Those files are not going to stop working even if MQA takes over all music distribution in the world.  If it becomes available for sale only in MQA, who is going to buy it? And Why?  

If they drop the price and release a lot of the unreleased music, assuming they can find the tapes of course, then- maybe...

Tapes?  If they were mastered before around 1985, maybe.  HDTracks has many titles where the 80s and 90s era 16/44 masters are captured to analog tape (for preservation and future readability) then that tape is in turn captured digitally again at a higher sample rate.  Those output files, even in "naked" PCM format are not worth the disc space that they consume.  And lots of those files have been made into MQA.  "Master Quality" is a lie.

6 hours ago, crenca said:

Well stated.  The truth is not democratic.  Depending on the context, it can be downright anti-democratic.  The Old Guard like @ARQuintand @John_Atkinson believe that the truth of consumer electronics and digital/computational software (such as MQA) is somehow related to or can be found in a subjective debate.   The neat thing about the truth is that it simply is.  When it is in the middle, it's in the middle and when its not, it's not.  In the case of MQA, the truth is not anywhere near the Old Guard who bleat the marketing speak of MQA like the herd of industry insider sheep they are.

Interesting choice of words @ARQuint, you "feel cheated".  You don't have the character and skills (or if you do, you don't use them) to discern the truth of MQA, so you look to the herd and try to listen to what they are bleating and go with that.  You look to folks like @Paul Rwho literally just bleat out stream-of-consciousness-speculations that add up to exactly nothing, to support your notion that the truth is democratic.  It all is quite silly, and supposed authorities like @John_Atkinsonsupport you in your silliness.  There is only one word for all this:  Pathetic

Edit: It's time for a visual reminder as to where men such as JA really stand:

image.jpeg.19d6d9f89269985b9966e935b6c70134.jpeg

30bc217098ac6af977af3c26f5048b1f--shaun-the-sheep-the-dead.jpg.621822f0564f0016cf1649d8ce9db693.jpg

So, you imply that YOU have the character and skill to discern the truth about MQA. Would you be willing to elaborate on the virtues you exercise, particularly in posts like this, and the requisite skills that you have, that both Mr. Atkinson and Mr. Quint so sorely lack in your most humble opinion? 

Do you claim the gift of discernment?   https://spiritualgiftstest.com/spiritual-gift-discernment/

12 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

...But that subjective listening impression is in no way, shape, or form an argument in favor of MQA as a format, as preferred sonic engineering solution, as a technological ecosystem, or as a business model.

Yet, we built this city on rock and roll Audiophiledom is built upon not just the subjective preference, but the radical subjective sells model.  Your not playing along tmtomh and your not being a team player and your not being fair...  

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Why would you worry about the back catalogs?  Pretty much everything has been published in any format you care to have and if it’s reissued in MQA because it “sounds better”, you know that’s not true and aren’t going to buy it anyway. 

3 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

We have, I think, explored thoroughly the issue that matters to me, namely the way that audiophiles speak to one another in the public space.....

bleat bleat bleat...I want to point out that you boys are not being civil for the 142nd time, while we industry spokesmen trade publication writers are taking a fair and balanced approach to MQA, the truth be damned...bleat bleat bleat

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

18 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

If Lee "regurgitates"—well, so do the Vaporware warriors when they get going on MQA-as-a-lossy-format or a MQA-is -DRM. That's not to say that they're not right and Lee is wrong—just that the positions they represent ossified about 400 pages ago on this epic thread, and I do wonder if Rt66indierock will see fit to shut it down before too much longer. There's so much more to talk about

Hi,

I disagree here. The main arguments presented here are based on proven facts, when Lee or others are challenged. If those facts are ignored and the same MQA marketing falsehoods repeated, despite evidence being presented proving the falsehoods wrong, people get angry - as if they are being trolled.

It reminds of one of my neighbours, who wants to use my land for his purposes. I have to keep on telling him he cannot use it, explain again the situation, regardless of the previous solicitors letter, yet again, he keeps on wanting to discuss it as if i will change my mind. He is an extremely annoying devious little tit.

So when the MQA marketing speak is trotted out again, and again, despite proof that the marketing statements are wrong, and knowingly so, then the person is perceived as either a troll or shill.

Nothing to be gained by closing the thread. A lot of useful information is contained herein. A few anti MQA people have been banned - not many pro MQA who continue to repeat the marketing lies have been. So, pro MQA people really aren't treated that badly ?

Regards,

Shadders.