IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 2/11/2019 at 10:12 PM, ARQuint said:

OMG.

I hear it too!

Read the last 4 or 5 of his posts. If its not him, it's  as pitch-perfect an imitation as I could have imagined possible—and I'm full of admiration

Are you sure you're not Lee Scoggins?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Quint, like the MQA executives, and Scoggins, is still trying to shoot the messenger.  Archimago's meatspace identity is utterly irrelevant to the technical issues he has highlighted.

I did not read it like that. Seemed to me there is still a lot of trauma from RMAF, and he was trying to address what he sees as an important point. Which is in fact an important point. Do you think that things would have gone better if the table pounding had not happened and the facts in Chris' presentation had been calmly addressed by the pro MQA team? Whether or not those facts were resolved, proved true, explained, or proven false? 

Sometimes you have to give people a second chance. Or even a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 999th chance. . 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

2 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I did not read it like that. Seemed to me there is still a lot of trauma from RMAF, and he was trying to address what he sees as an important point. Which is in fact an important point. Do you think that things would have gone better if the table pounding had not happened and the facts in Chris' presentation had been calmly addressed by the pro MQA team? Whether or not those facts were resolved, proved true, explained, or proven false? 

Sometimes you have to give people a second chance. Or even a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 999th chance. . 

I don't think the trauma is what you think it is.  The trauma is that the true nature of an organization came out.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

Inspired to revisit this classic.

Meanwhile, Jim Austin is taking over for JA at Stereophile. 🤯😬😂

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

4 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I have been building predictive models since 1996 and I have won two competitions for machine learning applications, one with gated neural networks and one with cluster weighted modeling from MIT.  It's literally my job but now I have the luxury of leading data engineers and data scientists and finding more problems to solve.

Hmm.  All my stuff is classified.  You'll have to discuss it with Jared Kushner.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

(my bold in the quote above)

The irony is that Mr. Harley was right about a paradigm change, as was Mr. Atkinson about witnessing the birth of a whole new world*, but it isn't MQA itself, it's the response of skeptics to the "authorities" of the audio world haha!

The actual paradigm shift is away from the old publications, and the new world is one in which their statements and reviews are no longer accepted as holy writ, but are increasingly treated with skepticism or distrust.  

Incidentally, for those who objected (lol) to Chris (in his presentation) or anyone else mentioning/showing use of the "old" MQA Lossless (sic) logo, please note that Stereophile has not removed it or made an editiorial note regarding its inaccuracy/deception in this online article where it still appears:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa

460997029_2019-03-01MQAdeceptivelosslesslogo.png.9d860504078c1bd0ab6c023a77450fc5.png

Obviously, they cannot do anything about print editions of the magazine, other than print a retraction or correction or other editorial note in a later issue, but this is the current state of the online article, which should have been updated if they were interested in accuracy or objectivity.  An additional editorial comment about the disinformation that follows the use of that dishonest logo would be useful as well.

*Apologies if that wasn't the exact wording of his metaphor, I was distracted by seeing the MQA Lossless still in place and not corrected or editorialized after the fact in any way.  lol

Exactly. How many audiophiles actually know MQA ltd has changed its tune and admitted the product isn't lossless? As long as the Lossless logo and narrative are still out there, it must be mentioned.

People who follow our community know this, but many have no clue it's lossy. They read the old guard say it's lossless and then proceeded to drink the kool aid.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, new_media said:

I have also been amazed to see people who claim that "everything matters" settle for a lossy format.

As a side note ... the goal is all important - "whatever it takes!" is the mantra. Sometimes, you find taking one step back allows two or more steps forward - later in the journey one can finesse, refine every aspect of the system, to fully optimise and make 'perfect' every part - when one fully understands.

This has nothing to do with saying that MQA is part of a solution to something - just, that one may need to 'compromise', or do something silly to make the bigger picture happen, at that moment.

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

As a side note ... the goal is all important - "whatever it takes!" is the mantra. Sometimes, you find taking one step back allows two or more steps forward - later in the journey one can finesse, refine every aspect of the system, to fully optimise and make 'perfect' every part - when one fully understands.

This has nothing to do with saying that MQA is part of a solution to something - just, that one may need to 'compromise', or do something silly to make the bigger picture happen, at that moment.

With respect, this is just gibberish.  Mind numbing gibberish.

4 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

With respect, this is just gibberish.  Mind numbing gibberish.

IOW, you refuse to buy a piece of sofware that isn't certified to be 100% perfect - it is "gibberish" to allow real world systems to operate that may possibly have long term 'defects' in them, which have had a bit of rough plumbing put in place to make the core functionality behave itself?

BTW, which OS do you use - and where is its certificate of perfection?

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

IOW, you refuse to buy a piece of sofware that isn't certified to be 100% perfect - it is "gibberish" to allow real world systems to operate that may possibly have long term 'defects' in them, which have had a bit of rough plumbing put in place to make the core functionality behave itself?

BTW, which OS do you use - and where is its certificate of perfection?

I'm sorry.  It looks a lot like English.  But I'm just not getting it.  Please don't try again.  I apologize for responding to you in the first place.

47 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Do some people need an alternative wording ... ? How about this,

For some people, MQA improves the subjective quality of their rigs - they don't care that it's "taken something away!" ... it sounds better, because it's a means of getting around some other weakness in their setup. And the importance of what it's given overrides the losses.

Again, I have zero interest in MQA. It has no value for a competent playback chain, and is an annoying detour, distracting from the real job of getting best sound.

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The MQA solution has finally found its problem to address. Oh wait, just kidding. 

Ha good call.

I'm now way more scared of future contracts (new and renewed) battles than I am of MQA.

The labels and streaming services can digitally manage rights to access large chunks of music. This has always been the case in the background of course (in the T's and C's)... but these two notable headlining examples I've shared from this week bring it to the fore. Yikes.

That's another topic though.

25 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Do some people need an alternative wording ... ? How about this,

For some people, MQA improves the subjective quality of their rigs - they don't care that it's "taken something away!" ... it sounds better, because it's a means of getting around some other weakness in their setup. And the importance of what it's given overrides the losses.

Again, I have zero interest in MQA. It has no value for a competent playback chain, and is an annoying detour, distracting from the real job of getting best sound.

Sounds like 2 weaknesses are a step forward in your example. 

MAK

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

For some people, MQA improves the subjective quality of their rigs - they don't care that it's "taken something away!"

MQA is incapable of improving the subjective quality of their rigs,  provided that they are already capable of doing justice to the original high resolution music files, unless the originals have suffered badly from greatly excessive compression, and they also  took the opportunity to remaster the file when making the MQA release.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020