IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

29 minutes ago, Paul R said:

If you reverse engineered the software, you probably did something that is actionable. I do not know, and I am not a lawyer or giving any legal advice

IANAL either, but interestingly MQA explicitly claims NOT to contain DRM, so AFAIK the DMCA doesn't apply. I think that if MQA claimed to be DRM then DMCA might apply ... 

I'd assume that if there were any real IP (again "temporal" deblurring is not a new concept ... see wavelets etc) then IP infringement might be an issue

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

56 minutes ago, mansr said:

I have done nothing unlawful, so I fail to see how reporting what I've seen is in any way brave.

46 minutes ago, Paul R said:

If you reverse engineered the software, you probably did something that is actionable. I do not know, and I am not a lawyer or giving any legal advice. 

Not a profitable discussion.  If @mansr is not concerned, I don't see that any one of us needs to be on his behalf.  :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, crenca said:

Thing is, you don't have the foggiest idea what this even means (in truth it's technobabble).  Guys have sold (or given you) thimbles full of "nanotechnology" and you really believe you have thimbles with "nanotechnology" in them.  The only "innovation" in all this is...I don't know, something to do with a confidence game...

Aluminium atoms are tiny. Very nano.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

IANAL either, but interestingly MQA explicitly claims NOT to contain DRM, so AFAIK the DMCA doesn't apply. I think that if MQA claimed to be DRM then DMCA might apply ... 

I'd assume that if there were any real IP (again "temporal" deblurring is not a new concept ... see wavelets etc) then IP infringement might be an issue

I am not sure that DRM has anything at all to do with whether something is covered under the DMCA or not...

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

30 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I am not sure that DRM has anything at all to do with whether something is covered under the DMCA or not...

I believe he was referring to the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

50 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

could result in large chunks of your streamed collection (not just tracks and albums but artist collections) disappearing overnight

In the UK we have an expression “Can’t see the wood* for the trees”.  Always amazes me that some of the people  who get het up about the potential of DRM in MQA seem to be enthusiastic,  unquestioning users of streaming services, where the issue is not so much the management of rights,  but whether the user has any rights to anything specific in the first place.  

AFAIK  no streaming service guarantees its paid-up users continued, let alone perpetual, access to any specific album or track; which (along with SQ) is why I’d only ever use a streaming service to supplement, rather than replace, my own library.

*forest.

13 minutes ago, Norton said:

In the UK we have an expression “Can’t see the wood* for the trees”.  Always amazes me that some of the people  who get het up about the potential of DRM in MQA seem to be enthusiastic,  unquestioning users of streaming services, where the issue is not so much the management of rights,  but whether the user has any rights to anything specific in the first place.  

AFAIK  no streaming service guarantees its paid-up users continued access to any specific album or track, which (along with SQ) is why I’d only ever use a streaming service to supplement, rather than replace, my own library. 

*forest.

Please elaborate on your comment " (along with SQ)"

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020