IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I think there is a difference between reporting on what they do (or say) and making predictions based on their actions (or statements).

In other words, I disagree with your assumption that because Pandora and Rhapsody have announced non-MQA hi-res streaming services AND because these companies know more about the industry than we do, there will always be non-MQA sources of hi-res music from the major suppliers of content.

I never said "always". I said for the foreseeable future.

So you see Tidal's MQA deal as being more significant in the eyes of the labels than the fact that other larger and more influential streaming services are not adopting MQA?

Yes. The latter is the "status quo", what you see most of in a market transition up until the point when you see less of it. The formal is the more significant because it is what the industry wants (here, again, RH article is spot on IMO). Right now it is small, "an experiment", and it could fail (for several reasons). However if it succeeds then it becomes a real market disruption and the other players will fall in line - and it will of course be in their $interest$ to do so.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Thanks for that.

I have to admit that I have no interest in the music released by the 3 majors. I'd imagine most audiophiles, demographically speaking, have no interest in new music from the big 3 either.

Their "war chest" has been fitfully looted - how many more reissues of "Kind Of Blue" does anyone need - so my thoughts are that the concern here is more altruistic.

So no interest, for example, in The Beatles in 24/96 or 24/192? Warner artists Aretha Franklin, Bela Fleck, Arvo Part, Led Zeppelin, Mark Knopfler, Prince, Regina Spektor, Sturgill Simpson, Tori Amos, Van Morrison, Wiz Khalifa, Megadeth ( ;) )?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So no interest, for example, in The Beatles in 24/96 or 24/192? Warner artists Aretha Franklin, Bela Fleck, Arvo Part, Led Zeppelin, Mark Knopfler, Prince, Regina Spektor, Sturgill Simpson, Tori Amos, Van Morrison, Wiz Khalifa, Megadeth ( ;) )?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I'm good with all of the music by people who are no longer making music. I buy Sturgill's LPs.

I have to admit that I have no interest in the music released by the 3 majors. I'd imagine most audiophiles, demographically speaking, have no interest in new music from the big 3 either.

So why do you list a number of albums released by these companies on your Best of 2016 list?

ML's 33 1/3 More Favorite 2016 Albums | AudioStream

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

How do you suggest I determine the validity of forum posts by anonymous posters?

Oh wait, I know! How many times they call someone a coward! (joke)

I would guess the same way if a manufacture is shining you on. Like re-packaging an Oppo player into a $3.5K device?

I would say on the merits. That's a judgement call. When John Sully was talking about how Cache operations on Intel CPU's and the bit streaming conversation you could have easily encapsulated that into a future article. But I have a feeling if it doesn't meet a certain narrative....

To be inclusive? To score points with our daughters?

OK you got me. Give me a count of how many of the records I own are from the big 3.

I'm not going to go down the entire list but three of the first four albums on your list were released by labels owned by Sony.

I would guess the same way if a manufacture is shining you on. Like re-packaging an Oppo player into a $3.5K device?

I would say on the merits. That's a judgement call. When John Sully was talking about how Cache operations on Intel CPU's and the bit streaming conversation you could have easily encapsulated that into a future article. But I have a feeling if it doesn't meet a certain narrative....

Your feeling is wrong. I'm trying to avoid this nonsense but here's a tip for you - look at the people who complain about who I ban from AudioStream. Then look at the language they use. Like yours. Get the picture?

If you have a valid point to make, you can make it without nonsense. The same should hold for the people I've banned. We are adults, no?

But some people cannot stick to the point. My guess is because their point, stripped of all the bullshit macho posturing, is rather thin. Of course this is just a guess based on 5 years' experience.

I'm not going to go down the entire list but three of the first four albums on your list were released by labels owned by Sony.

Those are the three albums on the list from the majors. When you want to make a point, it may make sense to work up the energy to know what you're talking about. It was 33 1/3 records long. Is that asking too much?

Actually, not all communication (even most) is about convincing the other side or "converting" - much of it is simply a mess where people are trying to figure out what is being said about what at all. This is a "benefit" that is not often talked about but is real. Again, the personal tit for tat is all but useless. However, in the real world there is always (always always always) some amount of that and the idea that we can "purge" such unpleasantness completely is idealistic (that is to say, unrealistic).

I bet you wish you had better communication with your wife. I bet after the last fight you promised yourself you were never going to stoop to such a level again. I also know (as sure as the sun is going to rise tomorrow) that you will do exactly that (stoop low, even lower) within a week, or a month - soon, soon you will be saying awful things to your wife. I could ask you "do you think that helps/converts/etc." but we both know the answer to that question... ;)

I don't know what you are talking about. That doesn't sound anything like what our relationship is. Even if it was, I don't see the connection to what we've been discussing.

She did just interrupt me to eat dinner. But that was a good thing.

Is this on topic for the site? This place is even crazier than I thought.

I don't know what you are talking about. That doesn't sound anything like what our relationship is. Even if it was, I do know how you make the connection to what we've been discussing.

She did just interrupt me to eat dinner. But that was a good thing.

Is this on topic for the site? This place is even crazier than I thought.

This place is even crazier than *I* thought ;-)

Your feeling is wrong. I'm trying to avoid this nonsense but here's a tip for you - look at the people who complain about who I ban from AudioStream. Then look at the language they use. Like yours. Get the picture?

If you have a valid point to make, you can make it without nonsense. The same should hold for the people I've banned. We are adults, no?

All I have to go by is each persons reputation. I've seen meritorious information provided in comments at your site and would be interested what future musings by you incorporated those points.

Just wanted to answer your question and get back to the thread at hand.

All I have to go by is each persons reputation. I've seen meritorious information provided in comments at your site and would be interested what future musings by you incorporated those points.

Just wanted to answer your question and get back to the thread at hand.

I'd recommend reading the comments by CG in all of the Ethernet posts. He is an expert in his field and his field is not limited to IT.

Those are the three albums on the list from the majors. When you want to make a point, it may make sense to work up the energy to know what you're talking about. It was 33 1/3 records long. Is that asking too much?

Really?

Kendrick Lamar is an Interscope/Universal artist and Sturgill Simpson records for Atlantic/Warner. I'm sure there's more if anyone wants to dig deeper.

The point here is that these three companies control the musical diets of a vast number of people, even those with your refined tastes. :)