IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, esldude said:

If you play back the 1st unfold does it not engage the rather lax filtering of MQA?

Again, per Archimago:

"Objectively with the songs I examined, the software decoder works well to reconstruct what looks like the equivalent 24/96 download."

and

"Bottom line: TIDAL/MQA streaming does sound like the equivalent 24/96 downloads based on what I have heard and the test results"

https://archimago.blogspot.hk/2017/01/comparison-tidal-mqa-music-high.html

It's very easy to confirm yourself too. I used an audio capture app on Mac and Spek analyzer, for the Tidal album Magnificat, and purchased the album in 24/96 and DXD (all come from the DXD master).

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Again, per Archimago:

"Objectively with the songs I examined, the software decoder works well to reconstruct what looks like the equivalent 24/96 download."

and

"Bottom line: TIDAL/MQA streaming does sound like the equivalent 24/96 downloads based on what I have heard and the test results"

https://archimago.blogspot.hk/2017/01/comparison-tidal-mqa-music-high.html

It's very easy to confirm yourself too. I used an audio capture app on Mac and Spek analyzer, for the Tidal album Magnificat, and purchased the album in 24/96 and DXD (all come from the DXD master).

Well I don't have Tidal.  My meager internet connection would be near saturated by Tidal streaming at least half of every day.  Part of the other half when I get higher speeds unfortunately is when I (and apparently everyone else in the area) is asleep.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

59 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well I don't have Tidal.  My meager internet connection would be near saturated by Tidal streaming at least half of every day.  Part of the other half when I get higher speeds unfortunately is when I (and apparently everyone else in the area) is asleep.  

Noted. A 1st unfold on Tidal would be the same as a 1st unfold anywhere else, in an apples to apples comparison, so when I mentioned 1st unfold, it's not limited to Tidal.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

are you in a rural area and using a TV Dish or something?

Nope to both. 

Just in a weird area which has only pathetic outdated ATT DSL which is allegedly 6 mbps.  It'll hit 5 in the wee hours of the morning.  Earlier today it was nearly 1 mbps.  Nearly.  

I can go 2 miles in any direction and hit areas with good internet speeds.  I'm in the process of getting someone to let me share over some long range wireless gear.  But the area is hilly and wooded and that isn't as easy as you would think.  If the neighbors didn't mind a 90 foot tower in the front yard it would be easy.  Check out this if you could use such a thing.  These are pretty terrific. I've got a couple and they are as good as advertised. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LBE-5AC-GEN2-US-LiteBeam-Wireless-Bridge/dp/B06Y2JH7PV/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1528691205&sr=1-5&keywords=ubiquiti

I can get 20-25 mbps or better over cell service, but the data cost is too high.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

19 hours ago, esldude said:

If you play back the 1st unfold does it not engage the rather lax filtering of MQA?

Yes. True. You could presumably play it back with a proper filter but you'd be stuck with alising from the 24/192 downsampling to 24/96. It's not ideal, but probably still unlikely matter too much.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

Rolling Stone Magazine/ June 14th Issue-

Page 18-

Article: The End Of Owning Music-

"The markets for CDs and song downloads have cratered-but vinyl's niche is growing."

"Downloads, one seen as the CDs replacement - have plummeted 58 percent since peaking in 2012, their

profits now even smaller than physical sales."

They talk about the explosion in vinyl sales.They do note that CDs still sell relatively well in the country, greatest hits, and soundtrack markets, and in Japan, where streaming has not taken off. 

Jack White predicts the future is going to be streaming and vinyl.

Will link when online.

8 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Jack White predicts the future is going to be streaming

Predicts? The future? That prediction would make sense in 2015. Things have moved quickly since then... driven by the 99% who don't care about anything we (the 1%) discuss here.

"In 2016, the music industry made more than half of its revenue from streaming for the first time, and that growth continued into 2017. Last year, nearly two-thirds of all revenue — over $5.7 billion — came from streaming, an increase of 43 percent."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

24 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Predicts? The future? That prediction would make sense in 2015. Things have moved quickly since then... driven by the 99% who don't care about anything we (the 1%) discuss here.

"In 2016, the music industry made more than half of its revenue from streaming for the first time, and that growth continued into 2017. Last year, nearly two-thirds of all revenue — over $5.7 billion — came from streaming, an increase of 43 percent."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

Basically the premise is that CDs and downloads will no longer be a purchase option.

13 hours ago, esldude said:

Streaming is basically a no-go for me too.  I am stuck with a satellite internet connection here, not great for streaming.

The telcos are all about making things better for the haves than providing anything for the have not's!  I am not in a far out rural area but one mile and 12 potential customers within that mile is not enough for Spectrum (awful company) to extend their cable lines.  I am in a dead cell zone currently and I am hoping that there is some promise for service with 5G on the horizon.

Jim

1 hour ago, james45974 said:

Streaming is basically a no-go for me too.  I am stuck with a satellite internet connection here, not great for streaming.

The telcos are all about making things better for the haves than providing anything for the have not's!  I am not in a far out rural area but one mile and 12 potential customers within that mile is not enough for Spectrum (awful company) to extend their cable lines.  I am in a dead cell zone currently and I am hoping that there is some promise for service with 5G on the horizon.

If you can manage more or less line of sight, you could share a line with someone who has good internet.  Those devices I linked to earlier provide a good fast connection up to several miles.  A pair of them would be about $140.  They are not large being 10x14 inches.  

I'm also doubly lucky being in a cell phone near dead zone.  I can sometimes make a call.  Data is usually not possible.  I mounted a WeBoost cell phone booster on the side of the house.  This amplifies and rebroadcasts the signal indoors and amplifies my phone signal to talk back to the cell tower.  This way I get good connections and data speeds inside.  This works if you have a weak signal.  If you have a total lack of signal it won't work.  

This is the particular model I have though they make others.

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-470101-Signal-Booster-Office/dp/B00RHMFQSA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528740142&sr=8-3&keywords=weboost+470101

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mcintosh-c52-solid-state-preamplifier/

About the only standard digital format the C52 doesn’t support is Master Quality Authenticated (MQA, about which McIntosh’s engineers prefer to take a wait-and-see position, finding the format too lossy, with distortion that doesn’t meet the company’s high standards).

15 minutes ago, SlimPickins said:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mcintosh-c52-solid-state-preamplifier/

About the only standard digital format the C52 doesn’t support is Master Quality Authenticated (MQA, about which McIntosh’s engineers prefer to take a wait-and-see position, finding the format too lossy, with distortion that doesn’t meet the company’s high standards).

You are seeing the start of people walking away from MQA. Its been going on for a bit but people miss the code words like we've been studying MQA for quite some time. Its up to you to notice they  never produce a product with MQA. Or their technology and ours are not compatible. Code for MQA's technology is really old in tech terms and we're not going backwards.

6 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Basically the premise is that CDs and downloads will no longer be a purchase option.

Not hard to work out from this trend. I love Jack White but I don’t need more info about his prediction to connect the dots.

“In 2016, the music industry made more than half of its revenue from streaming for the first time, and that growth continued into 2017. Last year, nearly two-thirds of all revenue — over $5.7 billion — came from streaming, an increase of 43 percent."

6 hours ago, esldude said:

If you can manage more or less line of sight, you could share a line with someone who has good internet.  Those devices I linked to earlier provide a good fast connection up to several miles.  A pair of them would be about $140.  They are not large being 10x14 inches.  

I'm also doubly lucky being in a cell phone near dead zone.  I can sometimes make a call.  Data is usually not possible.  I mounted a WeBoost cell phone booster on the side of the house.  This amplifies and rebroadcasts the signal indoors and amplifies my phone signal to talk back to the cell tower.  This way I get good connections and data speeds inside.  This works if you have a weak signal.  If you have a total lack of signal it won't work.  

This is the particular model I have though they make others.

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-470101-Signal-Booster-Office/dp/B00RHMFQSA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528740142&sr=8-3&keywords=weboost+470101

Thanks for the info!   I have zero cell service at my house, inside or outside.  Using Antenna Search there are 13 registered towers within 4 miles of my house, I assume not all are cell towers, but anyway I get nothing.

I will check the new thread that has started so as not to hijack this thread!

Jim