IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

22 hours ago, crenca said:

Are you a journalist HalSF? ?

I agree with you here, I don't see a crude narcissism as a character trait more common in journalists than say, cooks - on the contrary.

Guilty as charged. I was a magazine editor (The New Yorker, Outside) for many years and continue to write for various (non-audio) rags 'n sites. I started as a fact checker at The New Yorker and acquired quite a few gray hairs trying to help reporters get things right.

7 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

According to Brad Moon InvestorPlace May 29, 2018,  Essential  is abandoning the smart phone business. Citing an Bloomberg article by Mark Gurman and Alex Barinka May 24, 2018 saying they had canceled development of a new smartphone. Essential Products is for sale. 

I like that announce you have MQA on a product line then stop development of the product line and sell the company.

That is quite bizarre...

46 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I don't know if he inherited money or not.

Sure, but you could pass it on to a good cause if there is something left...

Yes you could donate.  I'm not one to say I find that better than spending it on his own enjoyment.  Do you live the very least expensive life possible with plans to leave some money to a good cause? Should I judge you negatively if you don't?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I thought HP inherited money.  Like Chris, if you've no one to leave it to nothing wrong with using it all if you ask me.

"You can't take it with you..."

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Yes you could donate.  I'm not one to say I find that better than spending it on his own enjoyment.  Do you live the very least expensive life possible with plans to leave some money to a good cause? Should I judge you negatively if you don't?

LOL. No, i would not advocate self deprivation or meager living so you have some left for the government or a charity.

But if you can't spend it all..then...

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

LOL. No, i would not advocate self deprivation or meager living so you have some left for the government or a charity.

Apparently HP could and did spend it all.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

17 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Read somewhere that HP would wait upstairs at Seacliff while some prominent manufacturers, who had travelled great distances, were told to wait downstairs for interminably long times.  HP would finally appear urging all go to the most expensive local restaurant with HP ordering the more expensive wines and then fully expecting them to pick up the cheque.  Sweetie pie!

1 minute ago, wdw said:

Read somewhere that HP would wait upstairs at Seacliff while some prominent manufacturers, who had travelled great distances, were told to wait downstairs for interminably long times.  HP would finally appear urging, they would all go to the most expensive local restaurant with HP ordering the more expensive wines and then fully expecting them to pick up the cheque.  Sweetie pie!

Fremer also talked about folks who arranged to see him and traveled a long distance and then would have the door slammed in their faces.

16 hours ago, esldude said:

Did TAS ever make money?  When Harry Pearson still had it for some time it had no ads.  Then limited ads.  Subscriptions were high and did apparently cover cost of the magazine.  I don't know if it made money until after 1998.  

Harry Pearson was never a businessman.  He had trouble even maintaining a regular publication schedule, so I’m guessing profit would have been an aspirational goal.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

You're talking about marriage here. I am sure you are. I have been there, done that, and to me, it does sound a lot like marriage.

Regards,

Shadders.

we just need to know what the dowery is

On 6/7/2018 at 6:08 PM, Rt66indierock said:

Digital was created because of the limitations [of[ vinyl. 

Not so much. The BBC were experimenting with digital audio in the early 1970s for broadcasting purposes and while Denon in Japan and Soundstream in the USA were making digital recordings in the mid-late 1970s, they were focused on replacing the analog tape recorder - their digital recordings were still released on LP.

I reported extensively between 1979 and 1983 on the then-forthcoming launch of CD and I interviewed all the principals at Sony and Philips, from Akio Morita down. They were all clear that CD was intended to replace the Compact Cassette, which by 1980 had already supplanted the LP as the dominant mainstream recorded-music medium.

The interesting thing to me at the time was how much resistance there was to CD in the record industry. I attended at a presentation to the UK record industry  in the early summer of 1982 - just 9 months before the UK launch - where Sony's UK CEO made the point that the CD would enable the industry to sell their catalog all over again. That closed the deal for some labels. But it wasn't a surefire thing that all the labels would support the CD medium.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Just now, John_Atkinson said:

Not so much. The BBC were experimenting with digital audio in the early 1970s for broadcasting purposes and while Denon in Japan and Soundstream in the USA were making digital recordings in the mid-late 1970s, they were focused on replacing the analog tape recorder - their digital recordings were still released on LP.

I reported extensively between 1979 and 1983 on the then-forthcoming launch of CD and I interviewed all the principals at Sony and Philips, from Akio Morita down. They were all clear that CD was intended to replace the Compact Cassette, which by 1980 had already supplanted the LP as the dominant mainstream recorded-music medium.

The interesting thing to me at the time was how much resistance there was to CD in the record industry. I was present at a presentation to the UK record industry  in the early summer of 1982 - just 9 months before the UK launch - where Sony's UK CEO made the point that the CD would enable the industry to sell their catalog all over again That closed the deal for some labels. But it wasn't a surefire thing that all the labels would support the CD medium.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

I am quoting James Russell who I still consider to be a mentor. That was his explanation for his analog to digital to optical photographic recording and playback experiments in the sixties. He filed his first patent on the subject September 1, 1966.  

Thanks for the memories of some good times around digital audio theory in Portland Oregon and Richland Washington in the early to mid seventies.

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

The interesting thing to me at the time was how much resistance there was to CD in the record industry. [..] that the CD would enable the industry to sell their catalog all over again. That closed the deal for some labels. But it wasn't a surefire thing that all the labels would support the CD medium.

I wonder if there is a parallel with MQA?

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

Maybe it had something to do with the dreadful sound of the first Sony CD player.

It wasn't until I heard the Mark Levinson 30.x/31.x that CD's started to sound... not dreadful. I still can't bring myself to sell them even tho I never use them anymore.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Poppy mentioned something near to audiophile hearts at the end of that interview. Specifically, they are working towards integrating VR into music concerts. Recording enough information and metadata to allow the listener to more immersively experience the performance, even move around the space. The example was in the context of amplified music, but it could equally be applied to classical performances. 

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.