IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 minutes ago, HalSF said:

I admire the way this invective retails a beloved trope of authoritarians and cynics everywhere — that the practice of ethical journalism is inherently corrupted by a depraved characterological tendency toward dishonesty and lack of accountability. Basically that there's a professional license to lie, and no meaningful mechanisms for self-correction.

The audacity is embracing this box-of-rocks obliviousness in the face of the millions of routine and major corrections and apologies that incessantly pour out of news organizations, not to mention successful libel lawsuits, firings of bad reporters, and scandals when journalists get major stories wrong.

But if beating MQA requires sliming good journalists everywhere, go for it.

Are you a journalist HalSF? ?

I agree with you here, I don't see a crude narcissism as a character trait more common in journalists than say, cooks - on the contrary.

I think perhaps where Don Hills got it wrong is thinking that these trade publication writers under discussion are in some way, shape or form, "journalists".

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

20 minutes ago, crenca said:

Are you a journalist HalSF? ?

I agree with you here, I don't see a crude narcissism as a character trait more common in journalists than say, cooks - on the contrary.

I think perhaps where Don Hills got it wrong is thinking that these trade publication writers under discussion are in some way, shape or form, "journalists".

Ask the question..how many writers at TAS, Stereophile etc actually have journalism degrees...the answer may or may not surprise you...virtually none.

Many, in fact, used to be HiFi salesmen. This is not a putdown or a joke, but a statement of fact.

And I agree with HalSF that this MQA episode should not be an indictment of the entire free press. That is a bridge too far.

I think where things went wrong with audiophile magazines is that as things progressed, and egos swelled, they started to blur the line between opinion and fact.

To your point about Fremer slamming Shaw for a sloppy, poorly researched story..well that is exactly how you could label his comments about MQA...sloppy, and poorly researched, if at all.

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Are were reading the same piece?

He calls the guy dishonest, cynical, incompetent, and a liar.  He says his "career is over"..is that a threat?

He also "thinks" he was misquoted...

He also wrote, which apparently has been removed as a few months ago, "what an asshole", right in the text.

I wish I had done a screenshot.

If he he called the guy an "asshole," then I agree with you.

13 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

If he he called the guy an "asshole," then I agree with you.

Picture if you will, if a poster here had declared  "Stereophile/TAS writer (John Atkinson, Robert Harley, Jim Austin, Michael Lavorgna's (fill in the blank) Career is Over"

How long would that post stand?

Our host might get a good laugh at this:

One comment from Fremer tirade, said the following-

by "reel"

"He (Shah) is just another one of those people (including Mr. Computer Audiophile Chris Connaker) out there that simply hate the vinyl resurgent. To them it's going backward in time and technology regardless of sound quality, because they never had a true transcendent sound experience in their lives like we all had."

I got a chuckle out of it..

1 minute ago, Brinkman Ship said:

by "reel"

"He (Shah) is just another one of those people (including Mr. Computer Audiophile Chris Connaker) out there that simply hate the vinyl resurgent. To them it's going backward in time and technology regardless of sound quality, because they never had a true transcendent sound experience in their lives like we all had."

Ha!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

26 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Andrew Quint told he gets Tidal free, CDs and SACDs show up at his mailbox every month, long-term loans of equipment and industry accommodation pricing make a pretty slippery slope.

I expect he got all that stuff even before MQA made the scene.  What's so particularly attractive about promoting MQA?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

by "reel"

And does Mr Computer Audiophile actually hate the vinyl resurgent?  (or should that be vinyl resurgence?)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

48 minutes ago, rickca said:

And they are still doing it.  Why?  If you think a group is a bunch of fringe nut cases,  you dismiss them and move on.  Yet the trade publication writers continue to engage with people they consider misguided fanatics on this thread.  Why?

We are the majority and at some point you have engage us.

40 minutes ago, rickca said:

I expect he got all that stuff even before MQA made the scene.  What's so particularly attractive about promoting MQA?

The press is hierarchical. I think many members of the press saw it as a way to advance up a level or two. After all  most of them have day jobs in many cases good ones or are professionals.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don’t hate it at all. I just the sound quality of vinyl is vastly overstated when almost all recordings originate on a hard drive. I also think the resurgence is a fad. That’s all. 

Digital was created because of the limitations vinyl.  And in the UK 72% of vinyl is bought by people who spend 400 Pounds or more on records (about 19) a year.