IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

20 hours ago, FredericV said:

If MQA becomes the only or dominant format, we lose our freedom to do whatever we like with real hi-res files...

I have zero interest in MQA as I actually prefer DSD to PCM.

However, will I still be able to listen to my high resolution uncompressed wav and dsf music files unmingled if MQA becomes the only computer format?

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

See, you don't even stop there - you move on to draw out a meaning of the fact of the preference.  In your reply to tmtomh you summarize the meaning it has for you, "the cause of good sound".

@adamdeahas been patiently trying to explain to you how you draw the wrong objective conclusions from a test about subjective preferences.

Hi,

Brian Lucey stated that MQA has harmonics, perhaps this is why people like the sound of MQA subjectively. Most people like harmonics (even order).

Regards,

Shadders.

36 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

....Then why the hell do you even give a damn about MQA?

this is, to me, the kernel of the objections raised on this site...if MQA rolls out a verifiable and quantifiable set of test files for all to hear (hasn't happened to date) we can all make our own judgement on the software but in the case of the two mags, Stereophile and TAS, there is a unbelievable ambition to make MQA known and to present it to the public at every opportunity....in light of the varying user reports as to quality and the risk of proprietary control of the mucic, why do you "even give a damn about MQA"...you all seem far too interested in its success when MQA has yet to be thoroughly reviewed.

As someone ventured in the thread above if this MQA were being proferred by an unknown Serbian engineer or a mathematician living near Calcutta, they may, if successfull in bringing it to the world's attention, be accorded the review based on the merits of their work but MQA/BS seemed to have skipped the initial peer review.

The anger on this site is based on your evangelizing.  Why keep asking that MQA be given a chance, why do you care?

5 minutes ago, wdw said:

this is, to me, the kernel of the objections raised on this site...if MQA rolls out a verifiable and quantifiable set of test files for all to hear (hasn't happened to date) we can all make our own judgement on the software but in the case of the two mags, Stereophile and TAS, there is a unbelievable ambition to make MQA known and to present it to the public at every opportunity....in light of the varying user reports as to quality and the risk of proprietary control of the much, why do you "even give a damn about MQA"...you all seem far too interested in its success when MQA has yet to be thoroughly judged.

As someone ventured in the thread above if this MQA were being proferred by an unknown Serbian engineer or a mathematician living near Calcutta, they may, if successfully bringing it to world attention, be accorded the review based on the merits of their work but MQA/BS seemed to have skipped the initial peer review.

The anger on this site is based on your evangelizing.  Why keep asking that MQA be given a chance, why do you care?

to your point about putting MQA in front of the reader at every conceivable opportunity...

-reviews of DACs steamers that are really veiled reviews of MQA (Brinkmann, Meridian, MyTek)

-penalizing highly performing, superb measuring DACs/streamers if they do not decode MQA, as if that

should give the potential customer pause

-having reviewers who with a limited knowledge base and limited experience with high end digital comment on MQA (Reichert, Fremer, Dudley etc.)

13 minutes ago, wdw said:

but MQA/BS seemed to have skipped the initial peer review

Hi,

I thought MQA was presented to the AES and no one in the AES applied due diligence as the engineers on this site have. They just endorsed the system.

Given this, i do not see the AES as a professional organisation. More of a club for people presenting ideas, good and bad, true or false.

If the MQA paper had been presented to the IEEE or IET - it will have been severely criticised for what it is.

Regards,

Shadders.

38 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

I do care. That's why I'm here.

I don't feel you're listening to me. There are others  besides audio writers who feel that MQA-filtered files sound better than the corresponding PCM source. And not all audio writers with a positive view of the sound have made extravagant claims for the technology.

I can agree with all of this. These are valid concerns that need to be addressed. Myself, I do not stream much at all and have a large collection of local HD files that I hope to keep adding to. I want to continue to apply DSP room correction when I listen, which is problematic with MQA. But insulting individuals and attempting to delegitimize publications in their totality because they do not sing exactly the same song as you do on this one issue will not serve anyone's cause, which is the cause of good sound.

This is the 1st time I see a audio journalist using the term MQA filter.

I dare all professional audio journalists to blind testing available filters from audio player providers :

1) to identify the MQA filter

2) to clearly state which filter they like the most (of course onlusten be informed after the listening test

for the test, 3 music pieces can be chosen, however in consensus - the same 3 files for all journalists.

For the player/filters I can suggest Audirvana, HQplayer (upsampling in DSD), ...

I propose to the CA community to propose, up to a maximum of 5, other player/filters.

I have my favorite, but I do not have listened to all players available.

I am convinced however that most, if not all, software players capable of configurable filtering, will easily better MQA.

I propose to use the best Dac’s from DCS and Berkeley, MQA capable, but also accepting ‘overriding’ filters from software players sources.

So Mr. Quint, will you be the 1st to accept this challenge? 

it should not be a big problem for you to get hold of the forementioned Dac’s.

I am convinced that the CA community can help you to get hold of the different software players that be proposed.

Dirk

P.S.  My choice is HQ embedded player,converting and upsampling to DSD (128 right now due to technical limitations of my Dac with USB/Linux) 

Still keeping my eyes open for a Dac with native DSD512 support on Linux ( and no, the IFI Dacs are not good enough)

27 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I thought MQA was presented to the AES and no one in the AES applied due diligence as the engineers on this site have. They just endorsed the system.

Given this, i do not see the AES as a professional organisation. More of a club for people presenting ideas, good and bad, true or false.

If the MQA paper had been presented to the IEEE or IET - it will have been severely criticised for what it is.

Regards,

Shadders.

You will be surprised how many papers are submitted. AES members can view these papers as is. It is not a place to validate, comment or reanalyze the paper. I haven't seen any endorsement by the AES to anything MQA. Besides the paper by Stuart / Craven and the recent McGill study, there is nothing about MQA being published.

5 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Has anyone noticed that Brinkman Ship and Bob Stuart have the same initials??!!

I don't think that's a coincidence.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

51 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

make MQA known and to present it to the public at every opportunity.

aka propaganda

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

54 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

The more I think about it, floating the notion that MQA should not be dismissed because it might benefit

younger people is utterly bizarre.

And clearly, Robert Harley was completely unconcerned with "younger people" when he crowned MQA a scientific revolution. I just think Mr. Quint is running out of reasons to cave and scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I thought this was pretty bizarre also! :)

I am not one to give any attention to conspiracy theory rubbish but I wonder if AQuint's participation in this forum is not some sort of "assignment", a distraction.  He certainly doesn't give me the idea that he knows what he is talking about, something which I have given my opinion on before, and in the intervening time I have still not been convinced otherwise.  I can almost hear it: "Go over to CA and keep them busy....", you fill in the blank.  He certainly isn't offering anything of real substance.

Jim