IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

17 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Well, perhaps by you. But if we are talking about the relevance of SQ to a consideration of MQA, in recent days many CA posters have been ringing in on the issue. For those on either side of the issue or those who are undecided, this is clearly a metric that's worthy of discussion.

Says the little boy who cried wolf

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Bill - You haven’t used the Report Post function a single time. 

Don't do it Bill, don't do it...resistance is not futile!

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Bill - You haven’t used the Report Post function a single time. 

That is true.  I have a strong aversion to being a "tattle-tale."

Maybe I should have; I just have higher expectations of folks, I guess.

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

Just now, Bill Brown said:

The Report Post feature is the only way to police things. It's not possible to read everything in context. Rules are rules and the community counts on everyone to help police the place. 

Plus, it's anonymous to everyone else so you won't be viewed as a tattletale. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

Bill, you might be an ML fanboi, but your alright.  

image.jpeg.56c5c1a7484d4d0e569dba57e1f62560.jpeg

I have one of these as well even though I clicked the no thank you box when I renewed my membership.  You would think that an organization that is able to control the direction of US Constitutional Polity would be able to run a web site better...

4 hours ago, ARQuint said:

I am not disputing (or misunderstanding) the conclusions Archimago drew from his Internet exercise. Rather, I looked at his data and noted that there were plenty of instances (78, to be specific) when a listener heard a "moderate difference" or "clear difference" between the high-resolution PCM file and the MQA-treated one. I mention them as examples of a perceived positive effect of MQA on SQ outside of the audiophile press.

Moderate_%2526_Clear_Selections.png

An exact 50:50 coin toss even within the group of listeners who thought they heard significant differences to a moderate or obvious degree. Again, there is no preference towards MQA Core or just standard hi-res PCM playback. "

Seriously have you thought this through, Mr Quint?

You are not a sound quality measurement device

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Report Post feature is the only way to police things. It's not possible to read everything in context. Rules are rules and the community counts on everyone to help police the place. 

Plus, it's anonymous to everyone else so you won't be viewed as a tattletale. 

Understood.  Thank you.

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

5 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

I have a fine pair from one of those "furniture makers" LoL

My furniture measures pretty much as well as this $40K pile of aluminum and borrowed ideas.

But we're getting off topic.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

15 minutes ago, adamdea said:

Moderate_%2526_Clear_Selections.png

An exact 50:50 coin toss even within the group of listeners who thought they heard significant differences to a moderate or obvious degree. Again, there is no preference towards MQA Core or just standard hi-res PCM playback. "

Seriously have you thought this through, Mr Quint?

I have. The fact that half preferred PCM and half preferred MQA is interesting but not the point at all. People have different tastes / value systems when it comes to reproduced sound. The point is that these people heard a difference and then decided which version they liked better—Archimago required that they do so.

Imagine this hypothetical scenario. You need to replace a failing power amplifier and have a budget of $5000. Your dealer lets you take home, for the weekend, two solid state products, "A" and "B", that have a similar design and power ratings. "A" costs $4000 and "B" costs $5000. You listen to both for the weekend with familiar recordings, taking copious notes, and conclude that you prefer "B" for its smoother top end, better spatiality and superior bass clarity. You're then provided with the information that in a blinded trial with 100 experienced audiophiles, all heard a difference between the two amps—but 50 preferred "A" and 50 preferred "B". Would that information effect your decision regarding which product to buy? Would you choose to save $1000 because of the results of the trial?

I also want to emphasize that my own modest preference for MQA-encoded files comes not from demos at shows but from my experience of reviewing the Aurender A10 when I had a couple of months to make my own comparisons of streamed MQA Tidal files with files of the same resolution downloaded from HDtracks.

Andrew Quint

15 minutes ago, Indydan said:

I have read all 43 of your posts. You do not defend MQA in your posts. But, everyone of your posts is to criticize or create conflict; usually against anti MQA posters. 

True, sometimes you may simply have been defending yourself. But, I could not find one post in which you constructively add something to the discussion (MQA or otherwise). It is as if you only signed up to CA to create or participate in conflicts with people. That doesn't automatically make you a shill, but it does shine a spotlight on your motivations for participating here. 

Accurate. i was going to post something similar. .just defending/attacking, I see nothing added to discussion.

BTW, I don't think he is a shill...

4 minutes ago, crenca said:

There is that hammer again Mr. Quint.  Perhaps you are getting closer to your and your cohorts failure on MQA however.  You should ask yourself why - why do yourself and your cohorts, subjectively, find "smoother top end, better spatiality and superior bass clarity" (when it comes to MQA) when the tested group does not, and why does the control group (as represented by the consumer reaction against MQA and here and elsewhere - everywhere except your cohort) also correlate with the tested group.

In other words, what is it about your subjectivism that is disconnected and in in conflict with consumers subjectivism?  Another way to ask this question is what is special about your subjectivism?  Not special in a good way, but rather special in that you come to subjectivised conclusions at odds with the other groups who you ostensibly serve?  

You see Mr. Quint, we are past your scenario - way past it.  It is irrelevant, as irrelevant as a monkey on the moon with a hammer.  When will you put down your hammer, and start asking yourself the hard questions?

another question...why do musicians and mastering engineers also NOT hear what Quint and his "cohorts" hear?

Agree with Kal about the products that "force" the MQA filters onto all playback (some allow you to manually  switch filters) should be censored. It's one of my big problems with MQA: it is so costly to implement properly (both iFi and dCS report spending over a 1000 hours of specialized software engineering to do so) that most manufacturers take the easy/cheap way out and leave MQA as the default. Whether coincidentally or not, that gives MQA playback an unfair SQ advantage on those machines, I think. Probably a reason some say they prefer it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

Agree with Kal about the products that "force" the MQA filters onto all playback (some allow you to manually  switch filters) should be censored. It's one of my big problems with MQA: it is so costly to implement properly (both iFi and dCS report spending over a 1000 hours of specialized software engineering to do so) that most manufacturers take the easy/cheap way out and leave MQA as the default. Whether coincidentally or not, that gives MQA playback an unfair SQ advantage on those machines, I think. Probably a reason some say they prefer it. 

Even MORE of a reason to punish companies that go near MQA. Screw them.