IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

9 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

(from Tidal)

OK, this is what happened:

image.thumb.png.1e7096b3c4acec54515c67ceaa9461c3.png

Apologies for the layout. Also don't mind the selected tracks here and there.

The first two you see (also look in the headers) today are MQA. They compare with the first two you see on the second line. Mind the MQA Album ID (71382919). This album ID did not change.

The content DID change (I looked into the files) and is now probably MQA indeed.

Whether the album with ID ending at 19 is the same as the one ending at 25, I did not check. However,

image.png.e44e6b508b434f45a6bf2310a7a4fead.png

The MQA versions now exists two times (notice this is a double album, each volume separately shown here).

So their batch run did not take into account the already existing ones (for 44.1 which there all are, at least) and indeed overwrote the normal CD versions with MQA versions.

This is how it was:

image.png.b686c7700c92683220548c27a5de25e2.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

MQA by stealth, this is shocking not even giving consumers choice, my fear is these files are now stored ready to shift into other platforms. If one of the lossy companies give into them if could have consequences in the future of PCM. 

8 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Legendary self pronounced expert Veter Peth has announced that it is no longer necessary to go to the symphony.

" MQA produces music that is better than live.  MQA corrects all the errors that are introduced in live music.  Now you can hear music as it should have been played.  MQA uses magic algorithms that correct the music to what the composer imagined."

They must have seen COVID-19 coming at least we can sit at home isolate and save money on the ticket and enjoy real “live” music on our smart speaker with our £99 MQA DAC...lol

16 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Legendary music expert Veter Peth has announced that MQA has added a fourth unfold.  This will light the 32/768 display and will light FOUR blue lights on the new MQA decoder.

Magazine editor Herbert Rawley pronounced this the greatest scientific breakthrough since God created earth.

And where are there going to hide that one they are going to have to move to 32bit lol

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Yes but only with an MQA hardware decoder performing exactly 3.5 unfolds, it's the only way to get that special proprietary sample rate, and an authentic rendering of what the artist intended.

There's additional de-blurring as well, such that you are hearing it as if in the vacuum of space, with no atmosphere to smear the time domain at all.

There's more to MQA than you think... COMING SOON: a 4th Unfold reveals an alternate universe, and it's Lossless!

It’s beginning to sound like a chapter from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy that was fiction too 🤪

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

How about Warner (hires) masters streamed at the Hifi setting? Thanks! 

The Carpenters is an album from the universal company stable this is a master but if I select Hifi, IE no interest in MQA I get the PCM 44.1 file not the 24/48 base MQA file I will check a Warner’s tonight for you 

37 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps because only four people would buy it. 

Someday MQA will go away because no technology is around forever. Who wants to be stuck with crippled music? 

Let’s hope your right,  but the train is still not off the  rails and has gathered speed again with no sign of stopping at the moment, will be interested to see what the next filed accounts look like 

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Let me correct that, “And yet they thought it would make money to release MQA-CD cds to the consumer ...”

I think the Japanese like formats, it was one of Bob’s earliest ventures in selling MQA and getting them on board with the tech but it’s stalling no doubt not seen many new releases of late 

3 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Wow!  All those albums were AUTHENTICATED!

MQA must have spent tens of thousands  or hundreds of thousands of hours AUTHENTICATING that music!

Before  the studio gave the master to MQA it wasn't AUTHENTICATED.  MQA blessed the master, burned incense, and performed a ceremony officiated by his Holiness, Bob Stuart.  The master was then born into AUTHENTICATION!

Blessed be MQA!  For until you give yourself up to MQA,  You cannot enter into AUTHENTICATION!

Most of them are not Studio just conversions from what’s on file (green dot) nothing to fold so we are locking them away in a proprietary system in readiness to distribute beyond Tidal no doubt 

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I’m afraid you’re correct.

Is there any way to get this confirmed officially? I understand Tidal added, but a google search doesn’t say replace. Or remove. Yes, I noticed (some) albums is only MQA. Now actually 2 versions of MQA. 16 and 24 bit. This doesn’t make sense at all. Why this 16 bit version ? Anyone has a good explanation ?

I hope we can get some official statements, cause Tidal or Warner doing this without actually telling people isn’t acceptable.

This could be a start of creating the “controlled” distribution of a common file which could find its way been sent to other streaming sites as it may only be the file available 

These quotes are from Bob Stuart recently :

.” MQA is now used in the whole of Warner Music new and back catalogue, and Universal’s too – plus Sony is coming, and a lot of the independent label”

“The audio industry has tended to be made up of hundreds of small enterprises, there have been very few companies that could stand up and say, “let’s make a standard”. That was done when for vinyl LP and CD”

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

Question about MQA DACs: is it true that newer DAC chips that incorporate MQA know how to switch filters automatically between MQA and non MQA filters, depending on program material? I'm thinking about chips like the AK4497 and the newest ESS chips. I was told this, wat to know if it's true.

I know my Project S2 DAC switches in and out of MQA as there is a noticeable gap in sound when standard PCM is detected as it switches on and off, plus speaking to John Westlake the designer he confirmed this, no guarantee this is done on all DAC’s equipped this way,  I believe one of SMSL DAC’s stayed on