IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

13 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Regarding Brexit, there are always scare stories on the disastrous consequences of Brexit - there were predictions of severe economic impact that never happened. The BBC News website always presents the calamity predictions and even reports Brexit is to blame when decisions were made before Brexit was voted on.

The BBC News technical areas never report on Windows 10 telemetry, or other aspects of severe privacy infringement.

Some of the politicians and critics of the EU have always referred to the problem that the EU is not for the people, for which it has always stated its function, but favours corporations.

So, when MQA slowly makes inroads into the mainstream music market, the BBC will NOT be challenging the scam, but since it favours corporations, it will support it. It is sad that the BBC whose remit is to "Inform, Educate and Entertain" fails dismally on so many fronts for the common man.

The Hifi press should be reporting MQA for exactly what it is - but they won't.

We cannot rely upon any of the media outlets to report accurately and in support open systems which allow freedom. So, forums and the internet are the only places to challenge MQA.

Regards,

Shadders.

image.png.f56772c48e4516529c73cf18ceaa8996.png

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

34 minutes ago, new_media said:

I have to wonder how much of a problem piracy even is anymore. Why bother downloading pirated files when you can listen to anything and everything on the free Spotify tier? I'm sure the RIAA still tracks data on it but I haven't seen them publicize it recently.

I think at this point music sales is mostly competing with streaming. The labels can only charge so much for a CD or a download before customers will just give up and stream everything.

Yes, and not just Spotify, I believe YouTube holds the top spot for "free" streaming.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FredericV said:

Resistance is futile.....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There have been a few suggestions recently regarding listening to MQA vs PCM 

As a genuine question, if I wanted to do this, can anyone advise where I can obtain some files for comparison?  I would be looking for "pairs" of MQA and PCM files that are confirmed to be from identical masters, preferably with a variety of music genres.  Preferably I would not want to subscribe to Tidal.

Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, Paul R said:

What does MQA sound like to you vs. PCM?  

Can you provide some links or pointers to files for comparison?  Specifically files confirmed to be from identical masters. 

The AXPONA presentation reminded me of this......

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, firedog said:

No connection to USB DACs. Only SPDIF and Meridian proprietary link. It seems to be intended for use with Meridian equipment.

Agreed.  Although another way of looking at it is that most “network attached endpoint” devices only have USB out, which is of no use to someone who has a DAC that works best with S/PDIF input, or a DAC that does not have USB input at all.  I have zero idea if it will be any good though.  I also suspect is popularly may be poor on this thread.🙁  

I also see that it appears to have a blue light, which is nice.

3 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

And when did John Dark get a middle initial?

Around about the time his birth was registered, I would imagine.....

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

This guy David Elias has been the only recording artist that Stuart seemed to have under his spell. He has been  pushing MQA for several years now, Interestingly he was a DSD disciple 5 years ago, I mean devoted to it, even recording albums live to DSD..   

MQA Sampler - Just A Buck

I’ve revised the tracks on the MQA Sampler. It’s now 10 songs with various resolution bit rates: 44.1, 96, 352.8k 

You can get this collection of some of my best known tracks from different albums of mine for just $1 US.

Use this Discount Code on checkout:  JustABuck  (don't type any spaces)

https://davidelias.bandcamp.com/album/david-elias-10-tracks-mqa-sampler

If you know some of my music, even dating back to my first CD recorded in 1995 and you want to hear what MQA remasters sound like, you can try it for $1. No special hardware of software media players are required to hear the better than CD quality remasters (much better to my ears). Just download and then listen to it the way you hear everything else on your smartphone or computer.

Bandcamp always provides unlimited downloads (any format supported) and unlimited streaming (online via browser or smartphone via Bandcamp free app).

Please share this with any groups or friends you can. Offer good until midnight UTC on September 25th.

Many thanks!  Happy Fall to the Northern Hemisphere and Spring to those in the Southern sphere.

DE 
https://davidelias.bandcamp.com 

I’d buy it if you could also get a non-MQA FLAC for comparison, but it looks like you can’t, so I won’t.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

The blue light did not come on at Companies House.  The financials could not be authenticated.

Or maybe a blue light illuminated on the top of the car that was chasing the accountant as he tried to escape?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, lucretius said:

It will be hard to tell the difference between you and the invisible man.

or this:

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

we need a Most Mellifluous Motor thread...

Mellifluous Quality Automobile.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Regardless of whatever might or might not show from MQA, this sounds like a great time!

Enjoy man!

Thanks!  As it happens, my main reason to go is because GIK Acoustics are exhibiting and I thought it would be a good opportunity to get a close look at their products and have a chat with them about some plans I have to improve my room a little.  

MQA hunting, and anything else I see or hear, will be a bonus, but it should indeed be fun.  I see they will have the £170k Naim Statement Amps there, so I shall have a listen to them now my harmonic distortion detecting skills have been honed thanks to your blind test initiative.

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Great move. You can improve the sound of your system immensely with good acoustics. make sure to ask them about room assessments. 

Have fun!

I will, my main objective here is to deblur my room.