IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, firedog said:

In his head he knows what they sound like; and that's all that matters. Please don't ask for facts or evidence - they are irrelevant.....

And your experience with listening to reel-to-reel tapes is...?

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Utterly wrong. Want to bet? Like $10,000 or $100,000 (but I doubt you are good for it). 

Best accept the the fact that you simply don’t understand the math. 

Just accept the the fact that you have no idea what you are writing. Shannon-Nyquist has nothing to do with the limits of human hearing. 

Perhaps humans can hear >20k in some fashion. Ok use 24/96 then. 

Your babble about sine and square waves remains nonsensical. 

Nyquist is mathematically correct, but it requires an arbitrary limit -- in reference to audio, the limits being between 20 Hz and 20 kHz. In reality, humans react to moments of sound far beyond our frequency-domain acuity would otherwise suggest. Additionally it was shown that humans do in fact respond to high-frequency music information even though we cannot consciously detect high-frequency sound. If our audio sensory system deals with frequency and time-domain elements differently, the reliance on frequency sampling as a way to get to "perfect sound" becomes problematic.

This is catching up with the FACT that people can perceive the benefit of high-resolution audio and various types of filtering. I think many people in this thread have heard the benefits of high-resolution audio for themselves.

48 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

since you understand it, why not explain it to me? 😫

Yes. Sound is energy over time. Energy from one peak to another peak over a certain period of time is the frequency, ie, the how many times these peaks arise over an arbitrary period of time (Hz). 20 kHz can be seen in the time domain as 0.05 milliseconds. Humans can react to sound energy in moments of time much lower than that, even though we can't hear the tone as a frequency of sound.

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

this is some of the worst gibberish I have ever heard

please go back and take some high school science courses - I cannot find even one correct stmt. here tho you are obviously trying to get some sort of view of reality, and I applaud that

"Frequency is the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time." This is the first sentence of the wikipedia article on Frequency. If it's incorrect please assist the world and make an edit.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, botrytis said:

What is funny is I think Hypex (who makes gaming headphones0 are better and cheaper than the ASUS ones. No MQA either.

The point is the MQA support. I wonder how many gamers are aware of MQA, and how many are going to find out about it because of these?

• 3 months later...

So, I guess a lot of non-audiophiles like to comment on this topic.

According to Stuart, there is no musical information above 50 kHz or thereabouts. Above this range according to his theory it's just noise, but also some timing cues which are important to our ear-brain system. Supposedly the MQA encoding process retains the 50 kHz range and besides that some elements above that which is determined to be important. So when the full unfold happens the 50 kHz range is brought back, represented by the 88 kHz sample rate, plus whatever timing information was picked up by the encoder in higher-res files. This is probably the basis for calling high-res files above 88 kHz their original sample rate -- according to the theory all the important information is retained and the noise is discarded.

MQA began as a way to identify and archive what makes hi-res music sound better. Based on research which showed that humans are much more sensitive to the time domain than our frequency domain acuity would otherwise suggest, Stuart theorized that it wasn't all the noise in hi-res sound, nor the high frequency information we can't discern, but rather the time-domain resolution is what we're actually picking up on.

This is theory of course. No one has the tools or ability to verify it without the participation of MQA, and for obvious reason they're not going to give that away being a trade secret. However, what we CAN verify is that MQA has the capacity to sound significantly better than standard resolution audio if you use a a decent MQA-compatible DAC. Not all albums mind you, I've heard plenty which seem to sound no better, but there are those which are clearly, significantly, obviously better. Frankly they can be much better than any 88 kHz track I've ever heard.

Just now, DuckToller said:

If I am not mistaken, you've listed the Holo Audio Cyan and Schiit Yggdrasil as your recent DACs. Both aren't the pinnacle of a "decent MQA-compatible DAC" afaik.
Thus, makes me wonder how you've achieved your verification of MQA's capacity???

I was an early adopter of MQA. When it was released to the public I first got a  Meridian Explorer 2. I wasn't able to hear any benefit with MQA from this DAC. I got a Dragonfly Red next and patiently waited for its MQA support firmware update. With the Dragonfly I was able to hear the improvement from MQA for the first time. This wasn't a real DAC however being USB dongle type using a tiny IC amp etc, really lacked dynamics. Next I picked up a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, and again I heard the benefit of MQA. Although it was better than than the Dragonfly, once again the dynamics were lacking so it was ultimately an unpleasing DAC. For a while after this I was upgrading my record system, then trying to bring my digital up to the level of of my analog so MQA got back-burnered. Finally I got a Myek Liberty which unlike most MQA DACs can do the decoding on all inputs allowing the use of MQA-CD. I still have the Liberty today and it's hooked up to my headphone system. The Cyan was for experimenting with R2R DSD decoding, and Yggdrasil is my latest and probably final attempt to bring my digital up to the level of my analog. That's on hold right now as I'm burning in a Purifi class D amp and my main amp until recently, an Odyssey Stratos, is broken and my filler amps just aren't as good. I tried to fix the Stratos but to no avail, I may have no choice but to send it in for service, possibly upgrade to something better. So things are on hold right now.

If the Yggdrasil can bridge the gap, I'll just have to give up on MQA in my main system and leave it for my headphone setup. If the Yggdrasil doesn't help, maybe I'll upgrade to a Manhattan II and bring back MQA, MQA-CD while my analog is for critical listening / when I feel like it.

So yes, I have made some effort to validate MQA's results.

I frankly don't understand what IT Freak stands to gain by lying. I actually own MQA-CDs. They play back fine from regular CD players, they play back fine on non-MQA DACs, and they unfold just fine on MQA DACs. Therefore we know without a shadow of a doubt that they are are regular 16-bit Redbook PCM streams otherwise standard CD players would not be able to read them.

I revisited a test album, P.I.Tschaikovsky op - 70 Souvenir de Florence - Unamas Strings Septet downloaded from highresaudio. I have two versions, a regular 192 kHz PCM and the MQA versions of each track. It's been a long time since I listened to it. It was as I remembered it: a very good recording in general, with the MQA version being a little better: a touch more mciro-detail, and strings are a touch more defined against the background. It's the sort of difference you wouldn't recognize unless you were critically listening for it. Maybe it would be more obvious with a better DAC and source. My headphone setup uses the Liberty (plus AliExpress linear power supply of course) and my main PC. DAC and amp are running off of a cheap Emotiva mains common noise filter bar. Also the MQA version of album causes the green light which means its an MQA stream but not fully authorized if that matters at all. I'll look around for another MQA album to compare.

Okay so comparing the Phil Collins album, just switching between Master and HiFi I was unable to reliably detect any difference.

The Deep Purple live, Made in Japan - again, switching between Master and HiFi, the MQA version appears to have a touch more definition, but really just a touch more -- it's like the difference between a CD an a 96 kHz file.

I'll listen to the others. Maybe I'll break out the HD600 for this. Currently using the TH900 (Lawton modded for balanced cable) which is a very resolving unit but its V shaped sound signature might be hiding differences.

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

koolaid.thumb.jpg.c5cee89419eef6dccc67caf3b7c51203.jpg

I appreciate the reaction image, but if you have a better understanding of the process please share. I understand that MQA Ltd. doesn't want to tell the public how exactly it works because it would be stolen. So we have no choice to go by what Stuart says in interviews and other industry people who have an inside track, for example Roon.

It's been repeated several times that time domain correction was the driving motivation of MQA. The business aspect of it, providing a compression technique to make hi-res content delivery more economical is there to bring the streaming services onboard. The authentication aspect is for labels. These are things which MQA, a for-profit company, will try to market to consumers. How they chose to market it isn't relevant to me, I only care about the sonic benefits. Don't you care about the sonic benefits?

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

False. See the McGill study.

Oooh, a call to authority. Maybe with Jim and MQA's help we can birth a new world too.

Well, you've responded to all listener critiques with citing this McGill study. I'll go check it out and see why it substitutes the need to listen to MQA.

6 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

I put as much credence in these observations as I have put in every observation you have made in the past.*

*When I have not had you on ignore.

MQA is not allowing independent comparison of their product for the alleged reason that  they are protecting intellectual property. They are not allowing independent comparison of their product because they are protecting the very carefully constructed illusion that MQA provides a benefit to the music consumer.

MQA is terrified of independent examination of their product because the truth would come out.  Much of the truth has already come out and MQA is scrambling to cover up the truth.

So, what are your listening impressions? Do you find an improvement in sound and your criticism is philosophical / ethical? Did you find it sounds worse? Some combination?

21 hours ago, Currawong said:

I have spent some time recently listening to a variety of TIDAL MQA albums, both the originals (some which required listening via Qobuz) and the MQA versions. I've also done a bit of file analysis, as I have been able to capture the digital output, or get the original TIDAL file (with help from a software developer).  I haven't looked at the new MQA 16-bit files on TIDAL yet though.

After a long, heated discussion with a friend, who is or was pro-MQA (he didn't know about many of the things discussed here) he discussed some of the issues brought up with friends in pro audio, and there are some issues with some of the arguments here, which I'll leave for another time. However, he did suggest to me some albums he felt were improved by MQA, which I had a listen through a Chord Hugo 2 direct to headphones (Focal Utopias or Final D8000s) or through my speaker system which, while not super high-end, was enough to determine what I'm about to write about. I do have MQA DACs here I can listen with also, but listening with those didn't change what I experienced.

The one album that sounded better with MQA was the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club. Whatever processing they did brings some quieter sounds more forward, which was pleasant. However, the album itself isn't super high resolution in terms of what subtleties are noticeable in the recording, so no loss from the processing. 

Various classical albums (there are a variety) were wrecked by MQA, the subtle atmospheric details around the instruments obliterated, making everything sound more "one-note".  This was very obvious through headphones direct out of the Hugo 2, and may not be noticeable through a complex speaker system that loses some resolution through having multiple components and cables.

With regards to timing information being improved by MQA, that is categorically bullshit. With correct timing information, I can hear a good-quality, standard stereo recording of classical appear to come from behind my speakers, which are ~2.5m away from me, with the instrument locations correct in two dimentions. The depth and width of the stereo image are both preserved extremely well with Chord DACs, unlike with others, where the "space" of the stereo image is often compressed front-to-back to one degree or another. When the timing information is preserved, so is the stereo image! Timing is how our brain interprets the location of objects around us. 

The MQA filters are all short filters of one type or another, and they cannot reproduce a correct spacial representation of a recording.  This, both from the science of filters, as well as what is clearly audible when comparing with digital equipment that does it correctly. For example, when you use the short filters with an iFi DAC like the Pro iDSD, even on a non-MQA album, instead of a correct, deep stereo image from this music, instead the instruments are brought unnaturally forward -- on my system it sounds like they are coming from in front of the speakers. While this is more exciting to listen to, especially on headphones, it isn't a proper reproduction.  Again, it's enjoyable, but the actual stereo image is clearly not real. A full MQA chain doesn't change this at all!

So there isn't a question of "What if Stuart's theory is correct" because there is no "if" involved -- he's abusing a valid science to justify something that has the opposite effect.

Interesting information. Can you explain what a short filter is and how it impacts time domain performance?

Except it isn't, in fact the entire current business model of streaming is not guaranteed to stay, those that report financials clearly lose huge money every single quarter, including Spotify who has the largest paid subscriber base. While the labels love it, they are the only ones making money, the streaming services do not and the artists aren't exactly pleased either. That appears unsustainable in its current form.

Given MQA's only current delivery method is the money losing Tidal (unless you are counting the stillborn MQA-CD which GUTB might be), I'd say there is no proof at all that it's here to stay.

So the GUTB crystal ball sees download services such as HDtracks being forced to shut down due to MQA?

That same GUTB crystal ball indicates the labels would continue to approve hi-rez releases "in all formats"? Not if their greedy accountant/lawyer top execs have their way. What are the formats (plural) you refer to? If they killed the standard Redbook streams in favor of lossy MQA-CD, what makes you think they would continue releasing actual Redbook CD media at all?

There's no crystal balls? Have any audiophile labels stopped releasing hi-res and switched over to MQA? I don't know if a single one.

You just parroted the stance of the main stream audio press, including right here in this very thread several years ago. That is of course exactly what the labels and MQA want everyone to think, while they slowly quietly eliminate consumer choice.

Well...look. The labels are the ones who will decide if and how they release their catalogues for hi-res. If there was no MQA there's no reason to believe they'd start releasing lossless hi-res when that technology has been around and in very wide usage for many years before MQA came out. So, in reality, MQA provides more choices by enticing the labels to release their catalogues in a hi-res format. Let's say MQA is just snakeoil -- the big labels weren't going to release their catalogues in hi-res ANYWAY so what difference does it make if MQA comes along and ends up being no different than CD-quality?

Now here's a crystal ball prediction: if the streaming services die, the labels will obviously try to figure out how to market their catalogues to consumers. The audiophile labels won't care because their market is small but dedicated and big spenders. If they have these giant MQA catalogues which allows them to market them as hi-res with the bandwidth of regular CD audio, I don't imagine they'll just abandon them without trying to make money off them. They'll keep pushing it. Also, I very much doubt streaming is going anywhere -- maybe the players will consolidate and come up with an economical platform, but that won't kill MQA by itself.

Again, lossless hi-res compression has been around for ages and it's in very wide usage, way wider than MQA. The labels simply decided they didn't like it. So what's the solution?

11 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

There is NOTHING that MQA does that is a benefit to the music consumer.  There is nothing that MQA claims to do that cannot be done better by non proprietary means. MQA produces an added cost to the music consumer. 

MQA should be rejected by the music consumer for a number of reasons.

MQA claims to dramatically improve time domain errors. What non-MQA process can do this? Record in DXD? Move back to master reels?