IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

7 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

They don't need em.  They have the record labels, that's the motherload.  The genius behind it was to get the software and hardware manufacturers to pay licensing fees also.

I agree, that train left the station a long time ago.  You don't think MQA needs to generate consumer demand?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, rickca said:

I agree, that train left the station a long time ago.  You don't think MQA needs to generate consumer demand?

If I asked 100 people where I work what format they were listening to music on there headphones via streaming/or file based,  I can almost guarantee you that none of them will know what I'm talking about.  They just want access.  These are mostly young individuals who listen to headphones all day at work.  I've talked with a lot of them about this subject and no one has heard of MQA let alone DSD or even Hi Res.  DRM is not an issue, since they don't care to own anything. Hi res to them is uncompressed music, regular CDs.  Now this is just a small sample and I could be or probably am completely wrong about the masses.

When I found this site 8 years ago I never heard of DSD, I knew of SACD but wasn't aware that this was tied to it.  Yet I'm the guy all my friends and family come to for audio and video advice, go figure.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Just now, rickca said:

You really think they're going to leave it up to consumers to demand anything ? Because I hear both the RIAA and JAS are supportive of the technology.

8 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

You really think they're going to leave it up to consumers to demand anything ? Because I hear both the RIAA and JAS are supportive of the technology.

The engineers wing of the Recording Academy recommendations for Hi-Rez AUdio.  40 odd pages, not a single mention of MQA. From Nov, 2107.

https://www.grammypro.com/sites/default/files/recommendations_for_hires_music_production_10_10_17.pdf

15 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

OK I agree with both you and @ShawnC that MQA momentum will continue because the industry wants it.   I'm simply saying that marketing to audiophiles has resulted in pushback and it would have been a lot easier to just put it out there as something cool.  No need to convince anyone that it actually does what it claims.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

4 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

The engineers wing of the Recording Academy recommendations for Hi-Rez AUdio.  40 odd pages, not a single mention of MQA. From Nov, 2107.

https://www.grammypro.com/sites/default/files/recommendations_for_hires_music_production_10_10_17.pdf

I was quoting Rob Stuart's Dec. 2015 MQA public filings (it's on page 4). Some may of course say "supportive" is a bit, somewhat, noncommital...

12 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

Pages 4:

Sales of Hi-Resolution Audio downloads from companies such as HD Tracks and Pro Studio Masters have become a healthy business with many subscription streaming services focusing on the delivery of higher quality audio, whether CD-quality or true Hi-Resolution using MQA. And now, most record companies require the delivery of hi-res masters because they recognize new opportunities to monetize better-sounding music.

And 34:

New technologies like Master Quality Authenticated (MQA), which enables hi-res audio streaming, make a difference in the marketplace. MQA is a particularly important enhancement for the consumer who wants the best audio quality but who also enjoys the musical experience of sites such as Apple Music and Spotify. Delivered via Tidal.com, MQA has gained acceptance from many of the most highly respected members of the professional audio community.

I wonder if Bob Stuart has convinced Jimmy Iovine that MQA is the future.  Oh wait, Jimmy is leaving Apple once all his shares are vested.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:16 PM, Lee Scoggins said:

Is this focus on mobile wrong?  I work on digital transformations a bit at work and the mobile focus is real among consumers.  How can a new music format attract customers at scale if they don't offer mobile access?

To me this is a key selling point of streaming.  One of the things I like about my Tidal subscription is being able to try new music in real time while shopping at record stores.

What’s a “record store”?

Just now, Fair Hedon said:

NO mention of MQA with regard to any technical standards or workflow procedures.

I happen to know for a FACT that the MQA mention was insisted upon by Bob Ludwig, who is hoping to profit with MQA and was paid to make promotional videos.

Oh, ok. Sorry for missing your point.

1 hour ago, ShawnC said:

They don't need em.  They have the record labels, that's the motherload.  The genius behind it was to get the software and hardware manufacturers to pay licensing fees also.

Anti-MQA members can get so called shills banned from this site/thread, either by there own doing or by being pressured by others, this still won't stop MQA's momentum.  Maybe some think these are small wins. 

I think there are other motherloads yet left...Google and Apple which control a lot of streaming and youtube.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:39 PM, Lee Scoggins said:

So what?  This is just accurate reporting. CA is a hostile community to many.  Perhaps Chris thinks this brings out a more lively debate but the side effect of the hostility is that it scares off many experienced people.

You and others have attacked my character without knowing me or my intentions.  I don't see value in responding any more to your posts.

Lee - you are missing the point.  

a) you are not a journalist and it’s obvious.

b) you are not knowledgeable on the tech and that also is obvious.

c) it’s also obvious that you somehow have a dog in this fight.   Financial, desire for access....  something.... cause you just aren’t seeming reasonable or logical. 

And for a McKinsey data guy, that’s sketchy as can be.   Because

you should just know better.

or....  you know exactly how this works.   Just barking up the wrong tree on this forum.    

I wonder if it’s now too late for Apple to squash MQA, would the labels allow them to stream and sell true lossless at this point?

Tidal is really irrelevant in the big picture.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

8 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I wonder if it’s now to late for Apple to squash MQA, would the labels allow them to stream and sell true lossless at this point?

Tidal is really irrelevant in the big picture.

I am guessing Apple sees MQA as a knat not even worth batting an eyelash over.

Apple has always been about selling hardware. And they will never deviate from their core business.

I also wonder what Softbank/Sprint thinks about its $200 million 'game-changing' investment in TIDAL.  We are coming up on the one year anniversary of that deal.  Has anyone heard anything about it recently?

12 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

I am guessing Apple sees MQA as a knat not even worth batting an eyelash over.

Let’s hope so.  If they do the unthinkable it’s lights out and MQA rules all.  They recently added Flac support for some reason.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

2 minutes ago, BratStrangler said:

MQA will go nowhere.   Formats are dead.

There are a whole bunch of audio companies who have invested in MQA implementation for their products that hope you're wrong.  How did MQA manage to get so many partners onboard?  It's a remarkable achievement even if you think the whole thing is misguided (as I do).

Just now, rickca said:

There are a whole bunch of audio companies who have invested in MQA implementation for their products that hope you're wrong.  How did MQA manage to get so many partners onboard?  It's a remarkable achievement even if you think the whole thing is misguided (as I do).

I think Bob and the team did learn a few things from their experience with MLP and DVD-Audio.

22 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

What about HDMS?

What is HDMS? I did a search and failed to find anything audio related.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa