IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Cookie Cutter (Music) : Marked by sameness and a lack of originality; mass-produced.

https://www.google.nl/search?client=opera&q="cookie+cutter"&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Now we now what the message was. Maybe it's a UK term.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Just now, mansr said:

Can we have a debate about the difference between a cake and a biscuit?

Hi mansr,

Yes - a cake is of soft composition, large diameter, with multiple flavours, usually eaten with a cup of tea. Generally in the afternoon.

A biscuit is hard composition, small diameter, usually eaten at any time of the day.

This site seems to be frequented by savages.

Regards,

Shadders.

You'll get me started on JAFFA CAKES !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

4 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

Very busy, 50 clients a month, I can't do more.

Brian, how much time do you spend on a given mastering project?  I'm sure it varies widely, but what is typical and what is the range?  How do you manage so many concurrent clients? 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

11 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

It's a simple question.  A forum of answers is not needed.

Do you want the real deal, or do you want your ideas, your ego and your investment in system to be part of the "creative" process?

For me, the answer is something like a question back to you:

What demographic are you mastering for?  You have some sense (I hope) of your target audience, and what they use to listen to your work.  Your published discography strongly suggests you're mastering for consumption on mass market consumer audio gear (earbuds, Bluetooth speakers, car stereos, etc.)

If you're not mastering for the immersive audiophile experience, how can you say you really claim to know anything about audiophiles?  You say what you're hearing when you master should be the goal of everyone listening to your work.  I'm saying, with due respect, that a significant amount of your output is antithetical to what I've come to know as the audiophile experience.  You said yourself it's like cramming way too many people in a phone booth, and twiddling the knobs so that everyone there can be heard.  That's not really what audiophiles want.  Or at least, what I've come to know about audiophiles.

But getting back to the thread, we have suspicion about MQA in common, and we should focus on what we agree on.

14 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Brian,

As someone who records in various sampling rates in PCM and DSD, I have to differ here.  44.1 can sound very good, however, we have found that 24/88 or higher is essential to getting the timbre of fine violins correct on classical ensemble recordings and it also affects instruments in jazz ensembles.

All else being equal (proper mic placement, decent ADC and DAC gear, good cabling and power), a hirez format is still a step up from the best 16/44.1.

A proper mic is also mandatory for getting the timbre of a violin right. Steer clear of mics that exaggerate the upper octaves.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

when biscuits go stale, they go soft. When cakes go stale, they harden. Jaffa Cakes, it emerged, go hard. :D and I like my biscuits right out of the oven with butter and honey while listening to music in the morning with a hot cup of kona coffee

The Truth Is Out There

12 hours ago, firedog said:

Don’t disagree with you. But Alison Klaus recordings aren’t very much like Kanye West, Beyoncé, or even The Black Keys. I think on those it would be much harder to hear the difference.

This is the kind of stuff that my sun listens to, Mendes, a girl named Cabelo. It sounds better through his Bluetooth speaker or car stereo than in my system...

13 hours ago, firedog said:

There are hi-res audiophile download sites that often give this information: acousticsounds.com, highresaudio.de, e-classical.com, nativedsd.com. Other classical oriented sites.

And yes, I realize these are niche sites. For mainstream stuff you don’t get the info.

If Native DSD is what I think it is, I wonder how many recordings are available, not counting vintage analogue stuff that was digitised (i.e. RCA/Sony)?

8 hours ago, synn said:

“There is no U in color” - Mastering engineer Brian Lucey.

England in uproar. The queen mobilizes troops. More at 11.

Theresa May, don't focus on Brian Lucey, focus on the destructive MQA.