IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

32 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Let's hope they at least put in some good tips on high quality audio production... And less on paradigms and seismic shifts!

They are both competent at their main jobs, AFAICT. I just don't trust them not to be influenced by monetary factors in situations like this.

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

They are both competent at their main jobs, AFAICT. I just don't trust them not to be influenced by monetary factors in situations like this.

Yeah. Every man has his price, I suppose...

Hopefully this and some of other AES talks get recorded and posted at some point.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Exactly, Chris...

Some of the discussions are getting off track with peripheral issues like surround sound and the like. Let's just get down to "brass tacks" here, folks. The reality is this...

The reality is I was already paying $20 a month to Tidal for FLAC and I now have an additional choice of 7000+ MQA albums and counting. I can choose the FLAC version or the MQA version. Total premium price vs prior price= 0.

We have 2 options currently:

Option 1- Pay $10 a month for standard 320k streams

Option 2- Pay $20 a month for FLAC and MQA streams

Which of the 2 do you choose? Do you think there's going to be a massive difference in sound quality?

MASSIVE difference, no. A difference worth an extra $10 a month? Hell yes.

Personally, I think solution 1 is just fine.

Witchdoctor's don't roll with "fine", witchdoctor's roll with hirez MQA.

24/48 sounds great and in many cases would be easier to compress than MQA for streaming. Heck, we could zero out the last 4 bits and maybe compress a 20/48 stream for more data savings without worrying about anyone complaining. Plus, since time domain performance is linked with bit-depth, one could argue that maintaining true 24-bit resolution provides better time-domain performance below Nyquist.

Whatever...

Option 1 is easy to implement and sounds great IMO.

This is the key to the whole MQA matter. If you think option one sounds great more power to you. Save the $10 a month and rock out.

1. It adds complexity and cost (unnecessarily):

An audioquest dragonfly dac is $100 granted, using it is not complex and you can use it at home or on the road. I was already paying $20 a month so dropping MQA on me was 0 out of pocket above my cost for FLAC.

2. Technical concerns:

a. It reduces the actual bitdepth to the aforementioned "typically 15.85 bits" and up to "17-bits" resolution when decoded. These numbers are from Bob Stuart.

b. Reconstruction of the 1st unfold into 24-48kHz audio frequency is lossy in nature compared to the original. Are we sure we "need" this?

c. MQA upsampling is done with "leaky" filters resulting in weak ultrasonic suppression of aliasing. Remember that DAC designers can easily program their devices to do this if this is felt to be preferable for their design. Also, we as consumers can choose to do this ourselves with software upsampling if we really think this is a good idea (software like HQPlayer for example).

d. For those who want to do advanced DSP like room correction filters, ambisonic processing, surround processing, we cannot have access to the full digital resolution because of the proprietary MQA process. (This is a big deal IMO that limits flexibility and progress as we aim for better sound quality for hi-fi enthusiasts.)

Whatever...it is still worth the $10 a month premium to me. You are fine with option one, NP.

3. Minimal audible difference - few actually claim to hear significant differences:

a. Digital subtraction tests show little difference.

b. Blind listening test with 83 listeners show no clear preference. (In fact, in some situations, standard hi-res was preferred.)

The question will be answered differently depending on who you ask. To me it is worth $10 extra a month, to others maybe not, granted.I did my own blind listening test comparing Tidal HIFI tracks and Masters, I preferred Masters (MQA), YMMV.

4. Unclear DRM implications:

a. Already as in (1), MQA certified products like upgrading to MQA DAC adds expense and there are fewer software playback options. Presumably the hardware and software companies need to pay MQA for licensing costs which at some level needs to be covered by consumers.

b. Potential future scrambling or stronger mechanisms to enforce playback only with licensed products at the expense of sound quality. This is not a reality currently but there are hints that this could happen.

I might have missed other arguments but these are the top-of-mind for me. I'm certainly happy to be wrong if evidence can be provided and how some of the technical pitfalls like item 2d can be circumvented. So far, no evidence that MQA can honestly improve sound quality, provide convenience, and ideally reduce cost for the consumer.

Again, why not just use a "flat" 24/48 stream for high-resolution audio and avoid all these potential complications and even potential hindrances to sound quality?!

I agree rhat DRM implications are UNCLEAR

My thanks to you for publishing your double blind study, your attention to detail, and your excellent posting skills. I think you contributions are great and you are definitely not a malcontent. Thanks again Archimago

30 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Fascinating answers WD.

You see, I am cool with anyone spending $10 and buying a $100 AQ Dragonfly Black. Glad you like the sound...

Beyond the money to buy a DAC or stream from TIDAL. Beyond the licensing $ to MQA. What of the evident limitations to the sound resolution this encoding system imposes? What of the loss of freedom to DAC designers?

What about the loss of freedom to do one's own room correction and other forms of sound processing at full resolution? These are arguments based on fact, not preferential opinion.

As a man who has your studio set-up with thoughts about enveloping sound quality and multichannel capability (great thread BTW that you started today), do you think that MQA is a step forward to promote the interests of enthusiasts who might want to keep options open in the future? Or does doing it MQA's way lock us into what Bob Stuart, et al. deems to be the way forward with their vision of what "studio sound" is supposed to be?

I'm glad you agree that DRM implications are unclear. Is there even any need to entertain this possibility when "flat" hi-res audio is already great and in truth, much of the developed world already have the bandwidth to just stream 24/96 if we wanted to?

This train has just left the station and the questions you are asking are important but I think a little bit overblown.

Every form of sound reproduction has limitations. The limitation in the music industry is not SQ, it is sadly the artists are being ripped off. They just got a workaround from being under the labels thumb because of Prtools. What technology gives it takes away because that enabled pirating on a massive scale. Artists make more money with streaming. If MQA attracts more customers to buy streaming services it is a win for the artist, the label, and the customer. MP3's screwed the labels yes, but they mainly screwed the artist and in the long run the customer. To me that is the limitation MQA can hopefully address. Offering a quality product that customers will prefer over pirating.

As for DAC designers have you seen the MQA partner page? They are adapting quickly. My Bluesond Node was $500 and I think I will get the new iFi MQA BL dac when it is available. DAC designers are engineers, they learn quickly (or just complain which I see MANY of them doing, yeesh)

My room correction works fine streaming MQA through the Node via analog out. I use Audyssey via my Marantz 7702. I can't speak for the guys using software based DSP.

As for what other enthusiasts plan for the future the industry is pivoting to hirez, immersive audio, and I believe vinyl remains the fastest growing segment. As a percent of sales it is still small but the growth rate is good.

As for MQA being a lock I think it is a key. DSD and HIREZ PCM are expensive to buy at $20+ a pop and SACD , BR Audio and DVD-A discs aren't any cheaper. I had less than 20 "hirez" recording before MQA. Now I have a kick ass library of 7000+ hirez MQAalbums PLUS about 2 dozen curated MQA playlists. My total out of pocket software cost =0 (I was already paying $20 a month before MQA). If you would have told me a year ago I would have access to a library of 7000+ hirez albums I would have never believed you. So for me MQA unlocked the hirez vault rather than locked it.

Do I sense a witch-hunt ? :/

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

To all the malcontents here, thanks for reading my posts. If you don't like MQA don't buy it, I am good with that.

. FWIW MQA will not make you gain weight, cause heart disease or cancer. Even if you spend the extra $10 a month no one will force you to listen to it, you can still play the FLAC versions of every MQA track.

Please make your crusade more meaningful, why not go take on the tobacco industry?

5 hours ago, mansr said:

That's hilarious. The Marantz digitises the analogue input (don't know the ADC chip) at 48 kHz, runs the Audyssey process, and plays the result through the AKM DAC chip. Whatever "deblurring" benefit MQA might provide, it will be obliterated by this process.

x-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-D

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Archimago:

The level of vitriol from the malcontents is over a $10 a month decision. Better to take that passion and direct at things that matter in the world. How music lovers spend their money and spare time is up to them. They shouldn't be shamed by a bunch of geezer crusaders. 

Can you imagine the vitriol if the price goes up to $11? My goodness this thread might explode :)